Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only that that lor...

apparently he likes to dabble here and there when it comes to lipos,
    for eg. use 3S lipo to fly 2s microFP setup...

Another major giveaway, He is the only other pure hornet owner like me...

Comment

Originally posted by X34
      It gives longer flight time, but no punch.
      Hmmm longer flight time but no punch? Doesn't quite
      FIT? leh.....
      huh

Comment

opps.. wrong thread.
        huh

Comment

Originally posted by nic
          Hmmm longer flight time but no punch? Doesn't quite
          FIT? leh.....

Comment

Come on lar.... Give him a break lar.... :na

We all have those careless moments in life......

Comment

Everybody will FIT into this situation some way or other lor

Comment

loyn
                i'm a rc sotong. And i know nuts about it.

Comment

Aiya, to make the person feel better, let me relate to you all the story of my Lipo lah.

It was one fine day after sunday funfly, I left my 2 X etec 1700 lipos on my shelf for it to cool down and went out to drive my family around ( that day i was appointed ahmad). I was already tired that day and after that long driving, when I came home, I connected both my lipos together, mistaking the wiring colour for that of my Apache charger.

For just 1 second, smoke was seen and there was a pungent smell. That 'woke' me up a little and i placed both batteries outside the house in a flowerpot, waiting for it to explode after 30 mins. However, it didn't and surprisingly, they still can be used. However, after a few more flights, the performances of the batteries fell like anything, seems that they cannot hold charge any more. After one week, i cut open the batteries and there was electrolyte all over it. No choice, throw away, not waiting for mack to bring in new ones.

That gave me some time off flying and cut the CCPM frame
                  Lesson: Use Dean-Ultras, no confusion. Do not think that stupid incidents like this will never happen to you. Never assume.

Comment

Fit,

Wana come in here to put some comments on the incident???

3pages long liow and u have not relate ur side of the story.

I like to listen to real life stories that why I never read story books!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli
                      Fit,

Wana come in here to put some comments on the incident???

3pages long liow and u have not relate ur side of the story.

I like to listen to real life stories that why I never read story books!!!
                      Is it HIM???

Comment

Okay here goes...

It was early in the morning, ard 7am. The 2s pack was almost fully charged. So I just plug it in my charger to top it up. Wasn't paying attention then and furthermore 95% of the time i charge 3s packs on the charger. So i never thought of flicking the switch to 2s. In addition to that I didn't hook up my volt meter to check the output voltage before charging (i usually do to be safe) but not on that fateful morning though

So I was watching tv in the living room having breakfast I'm not sure exactly how long it was before I noticed the smell of something burning in the air. It seemed like 30mins or so... I then remembered i was charging the pack.. I beelined to my room and upon opening the door i was greeted with a little fire in the corner of my room and a room full of smoke!

Got a shock at first and panicked for a moment. I went like "oh shit!"
                        Immediately went for the main power switch...
                        The pile of ash beside the yamaha box is a bag of thrash full of paper, so the fire from the lipo immediately spread to that plastic bag and fuelled the fire. And beside it is my paper bag with my hornet in it. That bag just began to catch fire and upon seeing it on fire, i instinctively grabbed the bag which has burning ambers with my bare hands and try to stomp the fire out with my hands. Burnt my thumb but nothing serious... didn't thought at that moment that i am actually touching burning ambers with my bare hands. All i thought of was to save my hornet from being burnt down!

Once the bag was out, ran to the toilet and got some water and put out the fire. Lucky the fire hasn't spread much and i noticed it early enuff. Lost a multimeter and part of my dragonfly's tail melted off. But all in all got away with very little damage.

It could have been much worse. From the first picture, you can see there are some lipo cells on the bottom of the cupboard. The pack that caught fire was just inches away from them. I was damn lucky that the fire didn't get to those lipo cells. There are 6 cells there next to one another, if they caught fire it would be a chain reaction and a huge fire beyond my imagination...
                        Another lucky thing was that the pack i was charging was a dying pack. I mainly use it for radio setup. The fact that it isn't shrinkwrapped also helped by not acting on the cell like a pressure cooker. If it were shrinkwrapped, all that pressure build up would have led to a minor explosion. And who knows where the burning shrapnel might get scattered causing fires in different spots.

So all in all although the incident wasn't a welcomed one, it taught me a lesson to handle them with more care and not be complacent. Overall i am really lucky as it could have been much worse as I have described above. The mug was there but I didn't use it! Will use it from now onwards thats for sure

To the rest, take my incident and others before me as a wake up call to be more vigilant and careful with your lipos even though you have high-tech chargers and such.. You can never be too safe, if shit wanna happen it will happen irregardless of how good or foolproof your equipment is.
                        -Feda Dragonfly
                        -Hornet 2
                        -Pilot OK Turmeric
                        -Zoom Zoom 4D
                        -Sceadu EVO 50: OS50, Hatori521, Revmax,
                        -Hornet X3D
                        -Hornet X3D (yet to setup!)
                        -Formosa 1
                        -World Models Spot On 50
                        -HB King 2
                        -World Models Groovy 50 F3A
                        -RICCS F18 EDF