Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wongster View Post
    Can I have the shop's address? When you're there, did you see plates of around the size of 550mm x 550mm x 15mm? Will they cut to the required precision?
    here's the website to the shop.

from what i see, they sell mostly alu bars /rods and angle bars, not plates.

i'm looking for alu plates too.... dunno where to buy...

Comment

Originally posted by pilot_bear View Post
      flye, what do you intent to cut ?
      look kind of heavy duty to me

having the workpiece move or not both have its advantage,
      for me, i will try to max the size for a bigger workpiece,
      since high accuracy is not a must at this moment.
      issit? oh... i deal with heavy machines. so it looks normal to me...

actually i wanted to cut alu provided i could get a powerful spindle.

but for the time being, i'll stick to plastics and some engraving works.

Comment

Originally posted by flye View Post
        here's the website to the shop.

from what i see, they sell mostly alu bars /rods and angle bars, not plates.

i'm looking for alu plates too.... dunno where to buy...
        Thanks dude. I'll check them out when I've the time.

Just went to the webby. It indicates they do carry alu plates and sheets. Given the price you indicated, it will be within my budget to do it in alu than MDF. But will need to buy tools to work with it (tap and saw to shape etc).

Comment

Thanks dude. I'll check them out when I've the time.

Just went to the webby. It indicates they do carry alu plates and sheets. Given the price you indicated, it will be within my budget to do it in alu than MDF. But will need to buy tools to work with it (tap and saw to shape etc).

factory cut to size would be easier since they have the equipments to do it.
          if you want to keep things simple, bolt and nut + washer seem like a good option then tapping. those angle joint is the next easiest solution.

imho, with the common tools we have at home, having a really squared rigid machine is a challenge, so the next best thing is to have a more flexible platform so adjustment can be made to compensate.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
          Robotis Bioloid
          Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

I would be glad if they offer cutting and drilling services, and at a low cost.

I'll try finish up all hole locations and see i they can help and at what price.

Comment

I would be glad if they offer cutting and drilling services, and at a low cost.

I'll try finish up all hole locations and see i they can help and at what price.
              they only sell raw materials, they don't provide machining services.

another thing is most of the materials comes in inches, so take note unless you want to cut to your exact dimensions and that would cost more than the material cost itself with a machine shop.

the raw material is affordable but it's the machining that cost a bomb.

that's why i took the raw dimensions and did some machining myself to save cost.

Comment

Originally posted by flye View Post
                they only sell raw materials, they don't provide machining services.

another thing is most of the materials comes in inches, so take note unless you want to cut to your exact dimensions and that would cost more than the material cost itself with a machine shop.

the raw material is affordable but it's the machining that cost a bomb.

that's why i took the raw dimensions and did some machining myself to save cost.
                That's what I'm afraid of - high cost of machining. But do you know how machining is charged? As long as its within my budget, I have no choice but to pay for it. Else have to wait for a while more.

Most of my parts are in rectangular pieces of different dimensions. Only the gantry shape is a little different, with some rounded corners. I can do a redesign to make it simple to machine.

What tools did you buy for your own machining? Is it difficult?

I don't have much of a space to lay the tools to cut. Was thinking of buying those cordless chop saw, jig saw, drill press etc. But storage is going to be a problem and I would probably only use it for this build. Thereafter, they'll be sitting in the store room to rust.

Comment

for heavy duty application, cordless equipment may fail to perform.
                  drill press are good for quick hole, mounting hole for parts.
                  jigsaw to cut parts to near size. you will have chance to use them often.

there are some small drill press in the market, good enough for our hobby.
                  should cost around 100 +-, can't remember.

XRB SR Lama
                  Robotis Bioloid
                  Robot Bear

Comment

normally they will quote a price based on you drawings.

i do have a small machine shop at my workplace, but it's a manual mill so i'm restricted to cutting straight lines only.

if you really want to reduce the cost, try to use stock dimensions.

Comment

Rack &amp; Pinion

Hello,

I just join this forum.

Any idea where I can get rack & pinion drive/gear in S'pore?
                      I am looking module 1 20dp square 15x15mm L 1 meter or more

Thanks
                      Andy

Comment

parts

hi,
                        reading thru the post and interested to build my own machine...any idea where I can get the material locally ? eg are the linear motion parts, flange etc...saw most are overseas shops...

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jtansoon View Post
                          hi,
                          reading thru the post and interested to build my own machine...any idea where I can get the material locally ? eg are the linear motion parts, flange etc...saw most are overseas shops...

thanks
                          You should be able to get most of your needed parts, if not all, from companies like Kian Ho Bearings. They've an outlet along the main road next to Jalan Besar Building.

You can find some parts from the recycling shop behind the famous laksa store in Kelantan Road. Saw plenty of linear rails with bearing trucks. All look rather big but they may have small ones.

Comment

To add, it may be worthwhile sometime buying a mill instead of building one. SG Toolings (at Fook Hai Building) sells Sherline and Proxxon machines. If the job you're working on most of the time are small in sizes, sherline mills would be a good option. The basic model is rather inexpensive.

When I first started out wanting to build my own router, I spent almost SGD 900 bringing in ballscrews, linear rails etc from an ebay seller. Before anything else, I was already spending more than the price of a Sherline machine. If you require bigger machines and cost is a concern, SIEG can be a good option, provided if you know how to tweak it to the level of precision you needed. Bulk of the money I spent was in tooling up the machine and accessories.

Do note that the above are solely my personal opinion. There are others that successfully build their own machines with level of precision acceptable to them at low cost.

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,
                            Wong

Comment

thanks for the info...looking at those with stepper motors...not cheap....

Comment

Agreed with Wongster, finding parts to build is not a problem. the challenge is how to integrate them to work.
                                off the shelf system gives you a good head start, so you learn how to cut faster, not now to build.

try starting with a basic machine, then compatible add-on. less damaging on your pocket, yet you can still enjoy cutting.

XRB SR Lama
                                Robotis Bioloid
                                Robot Bear

Comment

Working...
                                X