Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lipo capacities. Are all lipos over rated in terms of capacities?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was sharing some pointers with fellow flyers with regards to water being able to short the wires.
    2 of my kakis, tried using their tongue to touch both ends of a 9V battery and end up having tasteless tongue that experience sharp pain.
    This goes to show, water does conduct electricity.... or am I wrong in saying this?

If yes, then it is best to take note not to let too much condensation take place when bring your lipo out of the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by HotDogBun View Post
      Was sharing some pointers with fellow flyers with regards to water being able to short the wires.
      2 of my kakis, tried using their tongue to touch both ends of a 9V battery and end up having tasteless tongue that experience sharp pain.
      This goes to show, water does conduct electricity.... or am I wrong in saying this?

If yes, then it is best to take note not to let too much condensation take place when bring your lipo out of the freezer.
      saliva is not water. it contains lotsa stuff, especially ions, that is why it conducts.....
      For sale

trex 700/ 12mm main shaft swash leveller. carbon type $22 only new

Comment

read these....

saliva - electrolyte

electrolyte - conducting medium(not the temple kind)
        For sale

Comment

also...

Pure water has a low electrical conductivity, but this increases significantly upon solvation of a small amount of ionic material such as sodium chloride.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water
          For sale

Comment

Thanks for sharing so much valuable information

I noticed they mentioned saliva is made up of 99.5% with the 0.05% made up of other minerals with ion included.
            If that small amount can have the effect being electrolyte to conduct electricity, then I really feel it is safer not to place the lipo into the battery.

The air in freezer should have a certain amount of ion. There is high chance of ion particles seeping into the lipo. Which means when water condenses, the water with the ion in it can become an electrolyte, thus shorting the wires

Comment

I noticed they mentioned saliva is made up of 99.5% with the 0.05% made up of other minerals with ion included.
              If that small amount can have the effect being electrolyte to conduct electricity, then I really feel it is safer not to place the lipo into the battery.

The air in freezer should have a certain amount of ion. There is high chance of ion particles seeping into the lipo. Which means when water condenses, the water with the ion in it can become an electrolyte, thus shorting the wires
              condensed water is actually pure water, that's how we get distilled water. About getting ions into the batt...? think that's quite unlikely, the cells are sealed(if they arent, they'll likely combust in air). Salt or minerals? maybe from dirt?.. That's why we keep our batts clean..

that being said, it is up to the individual how they want to store and use their batteries. I am just sharing info that i picked up that helps ppl get better "lifetime" outta their lipos and clearing some "myths" along the way.

additionally, the human body is actually a conductor(contain lotsa electrolytes).. except for the skin which has v high resistance("insulator"). So, that explains the shock when ur friends licked the terminals of the batt. The tongue without skin + saliva + current... = ...shock

cheers
              For sale

Comment

Water does conduct electricity. But not the extend of lipos getting damaged from high current draw at the battery's voltage. It is not as if the battery is packing a couple of hundred volts. The current tat can be maintained by the water is at most 10s of mA. Electric current doesn't travel well in water at low voltages. Water may be enough to cause your receiver or someother delicate circuits to malfunction due to the shorting of terminals but not enough to damage your lipos. If u dun mind, u can try puting a lipo's power plug under running water. It is not going to explode or puff due to a short because there simply isn't enough current running thru the water to do that.
                Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
                Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
                Esky Dauphin
                Walkera Lama 2
                Walkera 5G6
                Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
                Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
                Brushless Micro-T

Comment

BTW, there are alot of ions in your battery. If not, it will not be a battery (lithium-ion). Just dun worry about the ions. They are of no concern. I'm more worried about the water causing oxidation on the metal tabs internally. So just seal up the batt. And I really dun think that external ion particles can seep into your lipo unless it has a hole in its seal. If you are talking about static charge then it is a different case. No worries on static charge either. If static charge are a concern, lipos will be be sealed in anti static bags when they are produced.
                  Esky Dauphin
                  Walkera Lama 2
                  Walkera 5G6
                  Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Thanks for sharing again

Me and my kakis also discussed about this.
                    If I pee a long one onto the MRT track thats is live, will I get shocked?

Comment

Thanks for sharing again

No u wont. Tested and poven by Mythbuster!!!

Comment

BTW, my lipos are fully submerged in water and they still work. Thatz r/c ep power boating. Sometimes it gets soaking wet.

Comment

You've got balls of steel
                          I too kia C to have my lipos wet or moisted

Comment

You've got balls of steel

How u know my little secret.

Comment

Thanks for sharing again

U will. Dun do it. A 15 year old Russian kid (can't really remember the age or the nationality) got his shaft burned off just because he pee on a very high voltage cable. In the end the doctor grew a fake penis off his arm by injecting saline solution into a tube transplanted into his arm every few days. The high voltage (I think was 22Kv) can pass enough current thru the stream of pee to electricute you. Voltage that high can even pass thru air.
                              Esky Dauphin
                              Walkera Lama 2
                              Walkera 5G6
                              Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by LittleGiant View Post
                                U will. Dun do it. A 15 year old Russian kid (can't really remember the age or the nationality) got his shaft burned off just because he pee on a very high voltage cable. In the end the doctor grew a fake penis off his arm by injecting saline solution into a tube transplanted into his arm every few days. The high voltage (I think was 22Kv) can pass enough current thru the stream of pee to electricute you. Voltage that high can even pass thru air.

Then again I watched that mythbuster episode. So is it real?
                                Esky Dauphin
                                Walkera Lama 2
                                Walkera 5G6
                                Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Working...
                                X