Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jcho
    hope I will be motivated one day going to read this thread from page 1 soon

I'll be glad if this thread helps to encourage more to take up construction. ARFs have helped to bring more people to this hobby but I believe that a significant part of the enjoyment of this hobby is in the building.

With laser cutting and cad/cam designing, kits these days are relatively easy to build. Go ahead and try it. You won't regret it.

Just a few pointers - leave that scale warbird or fancy all singing and dancing aerobatic job calling to you from the shop display (no matter how attractive the box cover looks). Depending on your woodworking/flying skills, you may want to start with a sport model first. You know the kind with a boxy rectangular fuselage and straight forward wing design. These are easier kits to build and will teach basic construction techniques needed. Most kits of this kind come with incredibly detailed instruction booklets.

Covering is almost always the thing that scares most beginners to construction. Its not really that difficult so long as you plan your work and get a few basic techniques right.

Hope that you'll start with a new project of your own soon.
    To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Great job on the covering

Hi Tony,
      NIce job on the covering and trim scheme. Have you maiden her yet? If not when will she take to the air? Would love to see how she performs.
      One question I have is on your covering, you said you needed the trim scheme to "dry before sealing the edges" what did you mean by that?

Comment

Originally posted by Curare
        Hi Tony,

One question I have is on your covering, you said you needed the trim scheme to "dry before sealing the edges" what did you mean by that?
        I use Windex (glass cleaner) to stick the Monokote. It works very slowly (overnight) so I can reposition and reposition until I get it right before squeegeeing and leaving it overnight to bond together.

If you want to know more about the Windex technique, go to RCGroups forum and do a search for "Windex technique". This is an age old technique.

Confucius

Comment

Thanks for the info on your covering technic. Has she maiden yet? Where do you fly?

Comment

No, she has not maidened yet. I have a hang up about installing servos and linkages. Most of my planes end up servo-less for a long time, as I start on other projects, until I gather enough "Chi" to mount the servos.

I stopped flying RC for about 10 years before starting on electrics (MS field) a few years back. I used to fly gas at RMS but may be worth while to check out the other flying sites/clubs that have sprouted out.

Confucius

Comment

Its been a long time since I've mothballed this project. Work commitments and training for a round the world yacht race etc etc has taken up most of my free time lately. The problem is that once you've lost the momentum, it can be quite difficult to get it up and going again. Managed to summon up the Chi to get started again.

This bird uses one servo each to control each aileron. The opening merely needs to be cut open and then sealed down on the edges with a trim iron.

And then, nonthong left to do but to mount the servo and servo horns. I hit a minor snag here. The bolts on the MK horns are not long enough, so I had to use my Dremel tool to relief out the balsa at the base of the horn to allow it to "sit" in about 3 mm. This provided just enough clearance to allow the bolts to pop out the other end.

I have to remember to fuel proof the exposed ply servo mounts.

Confucius

Comment

Very nice....wish I had this kinda patience....

Comment

MK sells a yoke which allows a single servo to be connected to two elevator halves. This is a very high quality product with ball bearings. Its not cheap though. I've never had much luck with getting total symetric movement on two independent elevator halves with simple Y pushrods. Using two servos mounted at the tail would provide a simple solution and it'll cost about the same with a single servo plus the MK yoke. I decided to go with the yoke just to try something different.

I happened to have some left over carbon arrow shaft and I use it to connect the servo to the yoke. This is what it looks like after fitting. There is one output horn on each side of the fuselage.

I've decided to go with Pull-Pull for the rudder. That will be the next job.
                  Last edited by Tony; 22-09-2005, 09:42 AM.

Confucius

Comment

Brass tube used as a guide for the pull-pull cable being inserted and epoxied.

Dubro 4-40 pull-pull kit used.

The finished pull-pull installation.

Confucius

Comment

Oops! How about that, I actually forgot to to make provision for a throttle servo! I guess I have been building too many electric planes in the last couple of years They don't need throttle servos as the ESC is plugged directly to the throttle channel.

I made a servo mount quickly out of scrap spruce and ply. Fortunately, there was about enough space in the fuselage to mount the servo to or else I'd be in real hot soup.

Last edited by Tony; 22-09-2005, 09:45 AM.

Confucius

Comment

I see that you're finally getting around to mounting the servos and linkages, still waiting to see her take to the air. When and where do you intend to maiden her?

Comment

Curare,

Besides the Alliance, I am also trying to finish another plane for maiden. With a bit of luck (getting time to build is a bit rare these days for me), I may be able to maiden both in about two weeks. The other plane is a Pilot (OK Models) Seduction 25 which I converted to electric power. It too has suffered the same problem as the Alliance - its completed except for the servos.

Anyway, both planes have been restarted again and I am plodding along with the servo mounting and linkages. Will also have to solder up a couple of packs of GP3300s to power the Axi 282010 on the electrified Seduction 25.

Confucius

Comment

Would like to ask those who have experience with the YS63S. What is the appropriate prop for this engine on an pattern plane like the Alliance?

Confucius

Comment

have a YS 63 FZ S on a kyosho majestic, now moving it to the kyosho oxalys. i am running an APC 12 X 6, which gives a little more vertical than the 12 X 7, so really up to ur flying style, but i am sticking to 12 X 6

Comment

Originally posted by Tony
                                Curare,

Besides the Alliance, I am also trying to finish another plane for maiden. With a bit of luck (getting time to build is a bit rare these days for me), I may be able to maiden both in about two weeks. The other plane is a Pilot (OK Models) Seduction 25 which I converted to electric power. It too has suffered the same problem as the Alliance - its completed except for the servos.

Anyway, both planes have been restarted again and I am plodding along with the servo mounting and linkages. Will also have to solder up a couple of packs of GP3300s to power the Axi 282010 on the electrified Seduction 25.
                                oh my.. the seduction series are my favourite!.. can post some pics of ur seduction 25??

thanks and a job well done!

rifqi.
                                this hobby is a compulsion/addiction/disease

Comment

Working...
                                X