Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is better for beginer on glider control.

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is better for beginer on glider control.

I would like to get into glider. Was wondering which is better/easier to start for beginner. Rudder n elevator control or have full house with airelon, elevator and rudder. I think I have read somewhere in the tread but could not find it. Thanks for any advise or input.
    If the building stops, the buying starts!

Hi

If you have not ever flown before, you'd be better off with a slowfly trainer like a Gws beaver or any other high wing trainer. Don't want to discourage you but you must get your orientation right first. Then you can graduate to an aileron trainer before you get your glider wings. Other than that get a good experienced buddy to help you. Will save you alot of heartache. or you can read the sticky about learning how to fly on the Airplanes forum page.
    Go back in one piece to fly another day.
    Having fun yet?
    36.39mhz
    40.77mhz

Comment

Originally posted by BabyBoy
      I would like to get into glider. Was wondering which is better/easier to start for beginner. Rudder n elevator control or have full house with airelon, elevator and rudder. I think I have read somewhere in the tread but could not find it. Thanks for any advise or input.
      get a skyhawk http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...3&cid=34&idx=1
      its good for all level .

i feel that glider is not a bad choice for beginner as it is very stable and glide well through wind, stable even in strong wind.
      -Ehawk 2000 Pro
      -Mouton 1600 EV
      -AMD micro chili
      -HK Kinetic800
      -SF Learjet45

Comment

Perhaps you should get the Easy Star glider from Multiplex, rudder and elevator only. Don't get planes that are too fragile, I learn the hard way, the Easy star can take quite a fair bit of abuse. FYI, I have no vested interest in Multiplex, I just find most of their planes are good flyers. Non of them was a dud.

Wally

Comment

Multiplex planes are very good to fly.....
          かみかぜ

Comment

Thanks for all the advise and comment. I have flown Nitro but want to start on glider. From what I know is that flying an unpowered glider is different from powered flight. If a full 4 channel is better in terms of handling and flying I will go with a 4 channel glider. I have flown both type in nitro. I prefer to have airelon control cos landing is easier with nitro as you can control and aim the plane on to the runway with better control but not sure with glider as Bedok Res do not have a runway.
            Im planning to build up a glider "Guppy"1.5m wing span. It has 2 version. so was wondering which will be better to start off.

Comment

Ok.

Go for the full house controls. It is really hairy up there on the slope in season, if you fly just rudder and elevator. And make sure you can set spoilers and better still crow. On the slope you need to slow your bird down to land it other wise it may land in the trees or worst into the twilight zone on the other side of the slope where countless other glider rest.(forever) Or it may turn into a dart or worse it may cartwheel all the way down.
              Having fun yet?
              36.39mhz
              40.77mhz

Comment

OK. Since aileron is better for control, I will go with 4 channel then. My glider dun have "Crow" function. Just a simple cute glider. Thanks plug&fly. As for buddy wise I'm sure there will be ppl at the slope to help me out. I just need to break the ice and ask for help.

Thanks Guys.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyBoy
                  OK. Since aileron is better for control, I will go with 4 channel then. My glider dun have "Crow" function. Just a simple cute glider. Thanks plug&fly. As for buddy wise I'm sure there will be ppl at the slope to help me out. I just need to break the ice and ask for help.

Thanks Guys.

Cheers.
                  slopers at BRP or bedok reservoir park are very friendly

get a full house glider, ailerons, rudder and elevator. trust me, gliding with just rudder and elevator, takes monkey seconds to turn

Which character are you test by

Comment

I beg to differ. I'll go for rudder/elevator control if I were you. First of all, it is to cut cost and easier setup. Secondly, a polyhedral ship with rudder/elevator controls is inherit super stable, and can usually be flown and controlled at much lower speed than an aileron ship.

If you don't know how an aileron glider works, you can easily get into trouble. Usually, a glider with ailerons as primary roll controls have lesser or no polyhedral and is more aerobatic and less stable. When flown at lower speeds, the ailerons becomes very ineffective and can frequently causes tip stalls. Other than high-speed gliders, most of them also have rudder controls. Even for such a forgiving glider like the Multiplex Easyglider, most pilots find themselves having insufficient roll controls and usually need incorporate rudder inputs to make turns efficient. If you choose an aileron ship, have the rudder coupled with the aileron channel. You'll find it more responsive during turns.

As for rudder/elevator ships that pilots usually complain lack of control, I can understand that, especially during down-wind flights when the found themselves losing controls and helplessly seeing their bird being blown into the trees. However, there's a method to recover it before it does so. Simply yank the elevator stick full 'up' and rudder stick maxed out on either side, will induce a snap roll and flip the plane till the nose points into the wind, and then immediately release the sticks and push a little down elevator. We all learn from that with old designs like Gentle lady.

Comment

I agree with Joe. I have been flying gliders for some years now and I tell you the truth... it is easier with a powered plane than one which relys on the wind. You will need to know how slope gliders fly and how to read the wind. Having less to mess around with the better until you know how to control the plane. Then you can progress to an aileron ship.

My GD1000 has a 2.6m wingspan and I need lots of rudder input together with aileron to turn efficiently and I have to keep an eye on airspeed otherwise the wing will stall and plane will crash. If you have to get an aileron ship then I suggest an epp plane. The crashes will not do too much damage and you will be more confident to fly it.

Most importantly get a buddy to teach you regardless of which plane you choose.

Cheers!
                      Planes: Cap21, Northrop F5E, MK Kingbird, MK Curare, Elster, Jazz60, SouthernX, Zoom 4D

Comment

OOPs

Now, we are back at square one. Anyway, Babyboy, you weigh the pros and cons. However, on hind sight, I have to agree with joe. gliders with polyhedral are stable and requires only rudder and elevator for authority and I too have to couple my ailerons with rudder for my easy glider to turn with more authority. Now, why didn't I remember that.
                        Having fun yet?
                        36.39mhz
                        40.77mhz

Comment

Easy Glider

P&G,
                          Understand your "forgetfulness". The easyGlider is suppose to be EASY and uneventful. That's what I call a good design for beginner/intermediate glider flyer.

The size is nice too, not too big, not too small...
                          ...now where's mine?... I forgot....

Cheers,
                          Leon

3 months+ to Glider Season

Comment

Oh Oh. Thanks guys. Have printed the ribs but not cut yet. So still can build one without aileron. So OK... since I wont be alone on the slope I will go with Rudder and Elevator then. The glider looks... like a glider lah with rudder control. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by leonlio
                              P&G,
                              Understand your "forgetfulness". The easyGlider is suppose to be EASY and uneventful. That's what I call a good design for beginner/intermediate glider flyer.

The size is nice too, not too big, not too small...
                              ...now where's mine?... I forgot....

Cheers,
                              Leon

3 months+ to Glider Season
                              Its in my hanger la, getting ready for the slope. Well, if you kinda miss your Easyglider. I can let you have it back for sentimental reasons . Anyway, your Easyglider was a great help in improving my flying, I have always being paranoid about crashing my brand new planes, the Easyglider being second hand, I took more risk than I would with a brand new plane- I guess it is just normal human psychology, with used plane, not so much heartache when it takes a unplanned landing.

James

Comment

Working...
                              X