Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hextronic batteries a lot cheaper but perform as well as FP, TP etc?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talcum
    hi dood,

im no pro here either but if you read all the resources on LiPo batt maintenance you will find a few key things

1.) dont charge over 4.2v per cell
    2.) dont over discharge below 3.0v per cell
    3.) typically the voltage holding capability of the batt drops significantly after about 80% of the capacity of the batt is used.
    4.) keep the batts cool to the max extent possible

and the list goes on and on.. so in summary ... these batts are quite sensitive. you dont look after them right dont expect to perform.

how i baby the 2.2A hxts.

1.) i check the batts with the MM once they arrive so see if its balanced right and in good storage voltage.
    2.) i slow charge the batts 0.5A till a min of 4.15v per cell (+/- 0.02v)
    3.) slow discharge the batt (UH website is max 10C) at or below 10C with wattmeter for about 1700mAh... approx 80%
    4.) let the batt cool until room temp and use MM to check if the batt discharged balanced
    5.) 0.5A charge to full cap.. about 4 hours give or take a bit. (btw im using the HXT chargers which seem to work well with the batts and only costs like USD$25 .. another no brainer .. btw its almost exactly the same as the Tahmazo chargers sold locally but like $20 cheaper)
    6.) Repeat 1-6 for 3-4 cycles. if you are ground running the batt try to give it some cooling airflow.
    7.) for normal flying i will charge at 1.0A. if i need it pronto i will charge at 1.5 or 2.0A however i will fly less aggressive and/or fly a shorter duration.
    8.) i take note of the imbalances in the batts before and after flights and accord special attention to the problematic batts
    9.) HXT batts will inevitably bloat. do not worry. if the cells are balanced then slow charging at 0.5A - 1.0A will decrease the bloat. many of us have experienced this.. and the batts work perfectly fine when pushed.

i have one current batt almost hitting 40 cycles and its starting to show signs of a dying cell. balanced charged will have all the cells to within 0.02v of each other .. typically about 4.13-4.17v however discharged one of the cells is about 0.15v lower then the others. i fly this batt as per norm like the other batts for the first 2 mins then i gradually change the type of flying to commensurate the capability of the batt. its still doing what i need it to do.

at approx $50 per 2.2A 3S .. if i can hit 50 cycles .. its good enough for me ill dispose the batt. thats about $1/flight. whats great is that for the same amount of capital i can have 2 flights within the same amount of time cause i have 2 cheaper (but well performing) batts as opposed to 1 expensive (yet highly reliable) batt.

so i could choose 4 TP/FP 2.2A 3S or i could choose 8 HXT 2.2A 3S .. and maybe have 2 with problems .. still have 6 functional batts.. while waiting for the 2 replacements... hhhrrrrrmmm 6 batts .. 2 extra flights per session. guess who will be improving faster

it is a pain to constantly check on the batts .. but hey thats why they are cheaper. oh btw.. i do NOT recommend using these batts above their 20C rating .. cause it seems that it cant really handle that portion well either. WOT on the ground on my plane is 42-48A.. should be within limits of 44A in the air. in any case the batt is supposedly capable of handling 32C burst.

hope it helps. ask the other PFW'ers how they are using their HXT batts to get additional feedback.

This is a comprehensive report, Talcum!

Question:
    After the weekend flying session, I immediately charge my batt when I reach home. Thereafter, the batt are kept till the next weekend.
    Should I continue to do this, or, should I leave the batt in the 80% discharged condition, and then charge them the day before I fly?

Thanks!

MS

Comment

MSC, you need not do that. Mine always charged and store for a week. Still as good as new. When you going to order more? Me need some more leh....

Originally posted by msc

Question:
      After the weekend flying session, I immediately charge my batt when I reach home. Thereafter, the batt are kept till the next weekend.
      Should I continue to do this, or, should I leave the batt in the 80% discharged condition, and then charge them the day before I fly?

Thanks!

MS
      Is OK if you DUN buy,
      but DUN cut my throat.

Comment

Originally posted by msc

Question:

Thanks!

MS
        yo dood,

i usually just charge when i get back from flying. if i know i aint flying for a while then i slow charge the batts to re-condition them. 1 week shouldnt be a problem. but if you are really concerned then charge/dischrage the batts to the storage voltage 3.6-3.8v per cell.

if you batch is 7F onwards for the 2.2A you shouldnt get much bloating problems.. thats the new batch with the apparently new chemicals from USA as opposed to the 7E batch that most of the users everywhere are complaining of bloating.
        -------------------
        Powder, Anyone????

Comment

Originally posted by protyne
          Ah! Lampard so your friend might have punctured the cell while trying to fit the batt into the batt bay holder of his heli ?
          man .. if this is true lampard i hope you guys arent asking for a replacement cause it aint cool. user abuse doesnt fall under the HXT return policy that i know of.
          -------------------
          Powder, Anyone????

Comment

Originally posted by talcum
            yo dood,

if you batch is 7F onwards for the 2.2A you shouldnt get much bloating problems.. thats the new batch with the apparently new chemicals from USA as opposed to the 7E batch that most of the users everywhere are complaining of bloating.
            The website says 7E onwards, not 7F.

Comment

RCGROUPS HXT Thread

check it out.

RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.
              -------------------
              Powder, Anyone????

Comment

Originally posted by $h@d0w
                The website says 7E onwards, not 7F.
                some of us on the 7E batch are still experiencing bloating. are you using them also $h@dow??
                -------------------
                Powder, Anyone????

Comment

This is where I read it : here

I have the 7E but have not use them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by $h@d0w
                    This is where I read it : here

I have the 7E but have not use them yet.
                    ah excellent. the ones that died the last time were 7EGR .. but there is another 7EGR batch.. 7EGR97025.. wonder if this is the one they are talking about. then there is the 7FGR97025.. wonder whats the difference because (other than the month) they also did mention that they changed the supplier of the chemicals..

just out of curiousity did you check the voltage per cell of the 7E packs you have before you stored them?
                    -------------------
                    Powder, Anyone????

Comment

I didn't check them, but they are all charged up now.

Comment

bros chk with u, wat is the return policy at uh? just send photos of bloated batts can liao?
                        For sale

trex 700/ 12mm main shaft swash leveller. carbon type $22 only new

Comment

I've got 2 pcs of 7EGR and there is slight bloat on them already. Despite running them real gently at avg of 18A with occasional burst to 36A.

But bloats not obvious enough to warranty change. Now monitoring power discharge and charge hold.

johndyl, photo(s) with short description of your usage should be fine. Wait for their reply and reply accordingly.
                          Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Comment

I've got 2 pcs of 7EGR and there is slight bloat on them already. Despite running them real gently at avg of 18A with occasional burst to 36A.

But bloats not obvious enough to warranty change. Now monitoring power discharge and charge hold.

johndyl, photo(s) with short description of your usage should be fine. Wait for their reply and reply accordingly.
                            protyne, ok great thanks

btw keep us updated on the batts.. mine is the 7FP batch..
                            For sale

trex 700/ 12mm main shaft swash leveller. carbon type $22 only new

Comment

Same here, got 2 of them from 7EGR, slight bloat but working fine....

Comment

Originally posted by johndyl
                                protyne, ok great thanks

btw keep us updated on the batts.. mine is the 7FP batch..
                                I have 1 7FP batch 2.2A, have seen around 5 flights and in my opinion they are real good. Should be ordering more thou, but have you seen their web site, they have got a back order of -254 batts.
                                [SIZE=1][B]Back to hovering!!![/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X