This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-tail alignment

Some people has problem fixing up the V-tails on gliders and other models and this thread is to share the methos I've been using for jigging the them.

Most gliders V-tails are joined before being glued to the fuselage. Make a template as shown and tack it onto the fins after applying epoxy on the glue joint, while waiting to cure.

Once done, cut away the film on the fin where it meets the fuselage, apply epoxy and use the illustrated method to eyeball the alignment. Note that the wings should be properly mounted on the fuselage.

My drawing nice?

For v-tails that do not meet with each other at the base, this is one alternative. You can use the fuselage surface as the datum for jigging and use a template as shown to align.

If you want to use the first method for such design, just measure the distance between the 2 fin base and cut away the apex on the template.

Comment

Joe,

Your illustration makes Vee Tail simple

Another problem I faced with Vee Tail is the incident angle. I have being using all sorts of gauges etc to ensure zero incident and it is tedious. Is there any simple solution?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by X34
        Joe,

Another problem I faced with Vee Tail is the incident angle. I have being using all sorts of gauges etc to ensure zero incident and it is tedious. Is there any simple solution?

Cheers
        Tat's the problem I'd been refering to... incident angle... headache
        Juz crossed over to the DUCT side!

Flying: P-51 Mustang, Corsair, F4 Phantom, Beaver(GF's), TigerMoth(GF's)
        Slope Glider: E-Hawk 1500
        Still in Box: Formosa, Zero Fighter, Me 109
        Things to Sell:
        - T-rex 450XL NIB
        - Nano Falcon(not build yet)

- Speed 370 motor with JST connector & Spur gear $5, PM me

Comment

No problem. You just need to find the datums or references. The most common mistake people do is to glue the parts together right after openeing up the box, without anticipating the jigging problems.

If the kit comes with a full size plans, it'll be wonderful and you can just photocopy the sections to make your templates. Just draw the reference lines, cut out the template patterns, spray a coat of 3M77 and stick them on the carboard, cut them out and you'll have the templates.

If not, you'll need to trace the parts on a piece of cardboard, mark out the critical references and datums and make your own templates. Most ARF kit wings comes in 2 pieces and before you join them, trace the wing profile on a carboard, draw a line from the forward most tip on the LE to the absolute TE. You'll get the chord line which also represents the zero incidence line. With reference from the chord line, use a protractor and mark out the relative angle of incidence with the tailplane and you have the basic template marked out already. Make sure you have enough area for the template to sit under the wing properly. A strip of double sided tape will hold it in place.

Alternatively, you can use the fuselage top profile as a reference if you have the full size plans. Just make a template using the top fuselage surface and a zero incidence line, place it over the part of the fuselage and you'll have a reference template.

To see the tail incidence, just mark out 2 parallel lines on the fins lower or upper surfaces and tack 2 strips of balsa with double-sided tapes.

By comparing the wing or fuselage reference templates and the 2 balsa strips, you can easily jig the correct incidence without spending a fortune with the sophiscated equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap
            No problem. You just need to find the datums or references. The most common mistake people do is to glue the parts together right after openeing up the box, without anticipating the jigging problems.

If the kit comes with a full size plans, it'll be wonderful and you can just photocopy the sections to make your templates. Just draw the reference lines, cut out the template patterns, spray a coat of 3M77 and stick them on the carboard, cut them out and you'll have the templates.

If not, you'll need to trace the parts on a piece of cardboard, mark out the critical references and datums and make your own templates. Most ARF kit wings comes in 2 pieces and before you join them, trace the wing profile on a carboard, draw a line from the forward most tip on the LE to the absolute TE. You'll get the chord line which also represents the zero incidence line. With reference from the chord line, use a protractor and mark out the relative angle of incidence with the tailplane and you have the basic template marked out already. Make sure you have enough area for the template to sit under the wing properly. A strip of double sided tape will hold it in place.

Alternatively, you can use the fuselage top profile as a reference if you have the full size plans. Just make a template using the top fuselage surface and a zero incidence line, place it over the part of the fuselage and you'll have a reference template.

To see the tail incidence, just mark out 2 parallel lines on the fins lower or upper surfaces and tack 2 strips of balsa with double-sided tapes.

By comparing the wing or fuselage reference templates and the 2 balsa strips, you can easily jig the correct incidence without spending a fortune with the sophiscated equipment.

upx! , juz built my glider with these tips. veri useful n helpful
            -Ehawk 2000 Pro
            -Mouton 1600 EV
            -AMD micro chili
            -HK Kinetic800
            -SF Learjet45

Comment

Hi Joe,

I am thinking to build an electric glider, (if it turn out cannot glider but at least still can be powered flight).

I got some model photos (show below) which has V-tail control only. Can this plane flies.

Please enlighten me what are the advantages of V-tail over T-tail. I have not built any V-tail plane before.

Thanks.

Comment

need some enlightenment cos just boughta v tail e hawk 1500
                so for the v tail both elev point down is to climb and up is to decent isit?
                and if glider face away from me, left elev up and right down means the plane will go left correct?
                thks in advance.maiden soon.

Comment

I realize these are old posts, but just to put closer to them for people just reading them...

Originally posted by renold View Post
                  Hi Joe,

I am thinking to build an electric glider, (if it turn out cannot glider but at least still can be powered flight).

I got some model photos (show below) which has V-tail control only. Can this plane flies.

Please enlighten me what are the advantages of V-tail over T-tail. I have not built any V-tail plane before.

Thanks.
                  The advantages of a V-tail set up is:
                  - A T-tail (also known as an X-tail) has 3 surfaces were as a V-tail has only 2
                  - 2 surfaces have less wind resistance/drag then 3 and therefore theoretically less drag = faster plane
                  - 2 surfaces are lighter then 3 surfaces and less weight on the tail means a lot less weight in the nose, and a lighter plane can fly in lighter lift.

The disadvantages of a V-tail set up:
                  - More difficult to properly tune and dial in.
                  - The neutral setting can be more difficult to find
                  - Requires radio mixing (or a special hardware piece for mixing)

Originally posted by calvin View Post
                  need some enlightenment cos just boughta v tail e hawk 1500
                  so for the v tail both elev point down is to climb and up is to decent isit?
                  and if glider face away from me, left elev up and right down means the plane will go left correct?
                  thks in advance.maiden soon.
                  Since "point down" or "point up" could be construed differently, let me clarify by saying that the very rear part of the V-tail surface is up or down.

When the rear sections of both tail surfaces are up, this will push the tail down and pitch the nose up, causing the plane to turn up or to begin a loop. With the rear sections of both tail surfaces going down, this will push the tail to go up and pitch the nose down, causing the plane to turn down or being to dive.

In answer to your question about turning, you have it opposite as well. Just keep in mind that the nose will always move the opposite direction the tail is pushed. Like a see-saw. If you are standing behind the plane with the plane pointed forward, if the rear surface of the right V-tail is up or toward the left and the right V-tail surface is down and towards the left this will push the tail to the right and the nose to the left causing the plane to turn left. To turn right both surfaces should move the other way.

Cheers!

-Jonathan
                  Last edited by Twyl; 13-09-2012, 06:02 AM. Reason: reworded to clarify

Comment

Working...
                  X