Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my goodness.. good thing u had that box which contained most of the fire . I guess i'll never leave my batts unattended or overnight anymore
    Failure is not final,
    Success is never ending:
    It is not the destination but the journey that matters.

Wadever the journey, keep flying!

Comment

yeah that box saved my house.

hope you guys learned something from my experience.

Comment

How did you clear it up? The contents are toxic...
        Cell or Batteries may flame or leak potentially hazardous organic vapours. Fire, excessive heat or over voltage conditions may produce hazardous decomposition products.

Comment

oh gosh!
          you mean i have been breathing in toxic gases the whole day!!??

Comment

Sorry to hear about your plight Ryan, i guess its ok as long as there was some ventilation, you can read more here. Lithium battries Dont worry too much though, i had a pack almost blow in my pocket, that was freaking scary, bloat right in my pocket, threw it out just in time.

Comment

thanks man. now i just have to find something to cover the burnt parquet floor. my parents haven't found out yet!

wow thats real freaky man!
              how did you get it to bloat in your pocket man!?

thats damn dangerous!
              share?

Comment

Sorry abt that too, but lucky the fire is contain within the "BOX" other wise who know what will happen

Man that is scary, 2nd case of lipo fire after Joe's case. On the other hand, both are with clear clear casue. 1 is with human error of wrong charging voltage, the other is charging of faulty (over discharged) lipo battery. So this shows that lipo is very sensitive toward its operating condition. Best is still follow closely to the maker recommendation. Don't try to save time of few $ whcih may cost more than you know.

BTW those white AC to DC adapter may not be regulated. a set at 12V may result in higher o/p voltage or changes under load. So is best get a regulated adapter. Same time, try to change at 0.7C instead of 1C. I have been following that rule for all my lipo batteries. Touch wood so far so good. It only take a little longer (insignificant) to charge them but safe for sure.

fyi I am using a 500 mAh charger for my 1200 & 1800 mAh lipo which means less than 50%

Comment

My 2400 is charging at 2000 (1hr 20 m) -- pack remain cold during charge.

My 1800 is charging at 1700 (1hr 5 min) - pack is not as cold, hardly warm too.

--
                  Using apache charger. So far so good... I just don't like the sparks when I hook it on to my gel cell. (batt not connected).
                  And charger is a little hot, especially when use under the sun.
                  huh

Comment

Originally posted by loyn
                    BTW those white AC to DC adapter may not be regulated. a set at 12V may result in higher o/p voltage or changes under load. So is best get a regulated adapter. Same time, try to change at 0.7C instead of 1C. I have been following that rule for all my lipo batteries. Touch wood so far so good. It only take a little longer (insignificant) to charge them but safe for sure.

where do i get the AC DC adapter? i've been planning to get one but no need to yet as i am using my friends one now cuz he is in ocs. will need to get one for myself next week as well as a new worleys charger to replace my friends melted one. sigh... money again...

i usually charge my 1700 mah etec at 1500ma. safe right? maybe i will reduce to 1000 mah. no difference to me if i fly once a day only.

Comment

Hi

U can get a good regulated 12V power supply from computer Switching power supply.

I think so far our li-poly case happen due to:
                      1 - Trying to charge an overly discharge battery
                      2 - Overvoltage charging (3Cells setting to charge 2Cell)
                      3 - Possible wire shortage that cause balloon up.

I charge my E-Tec 1200mAH HP at 1500mA. My crocodile clips wire a bit warm but the battery and connector still in room temp. I charge my V-Tec 1800mAH at 2A also.

I think the most important is that u must have very stable charging voltage. It is recommend that u measure your charger or your battery (If the charger is brand new) after full charge to see whether does it overshot the voltage to more than 4.5V. Anything higher than that u will have ballooning Li-Poly. It happen to me before. Bottom lines is that sometime the calibration of the charger may be out. So it is best to measure your battery after full charge to see whether does it overcharge or not. If so, please do not use the charger anymore until u fix that problem. Please measure using reliable Digital Multimeter.

Super-Hornet
                      Last edited by Super-Hornet; 18-10-2004, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Try to stay with one configuration (charger and adapter) for the same group of Lipo batteries. So to reduce variability and human error. For me 2s all the way which is safe for motor and ESC too.

Comment

Me too but I in the 3Cells all the way configuration.

Super-Hornet

Comment

yeah me too...
                            3s all the way.

but anyway my prolux charger will tell me if i set it wrongly.

Comment

After what i saw happen to you Batterys. i Immediately Did this:

juz Find a Tin can with Lid and Drill a Hole for the connectors
                              smiple and safe. you might want to add some Ventilation Holes

Comment

great job but make sure that the wires dont cut on the edge of the tin.
                                i personly use a ceramic cup ..a great idea from Fit. heat resistant to 700 kelvin hahahha and if there are gasses well then they will come out of the top and disapate.

Comment

Working...
                                X