Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - Lipo Voltage Monitor (In Flight)

Read a post recently on a DIY to build a simple Lipo Voltage Monitor and would like to share it with fellow members.

The original document was prepared by Mr Gary Sweet and attached is the PDF file.

Will post my little Lipo monitor in the next post.

Heli
    Honey Bee CP2 : Sold (Maiden:17 Dec 05)
    Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane
    Estarter : Align 450s, Align 25A, Electron 6 (Maiden :16 Sep 06)

PT-17w : Sold
    Buggy
    Acme NB 16 : Half 8 Nitro (Maiden :23 Dec 06)

Transmtter : JR PCM 9X II, Aggressor SRX
    Charger : Tahmazo T15
    Balancer : TP205
    Battery :Thunder Power, FullRiver, Warbird

I could not find the MAX 8211 voltage detector. However, I managed to find ICL 8211 which is compatible. All parts are available at Sim Lim Tower (Basement 1)

1) ICL 8211 - Voltage Detector $3.50/-
    2) 510 Kohms $0.20
    3) 2.6 Mohms $0.20
    4) LED (bright) $0.30

Some wires...thats all......Picture tells more..

Heli
    Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane

Buggy

Comment

More pictures

Tested with several 9V batteries with different voltage and it seems to work fine. As I do not have a variable voltage power supply, it was difficuilt to determine the exact voltage that the LED lights up. Trial and error show that the LED will light up as soon as the voltage drops below about 9.4 ~9.5V.

Current drawn is very low:
      when LED off, the current drawn is 0.02mA
      when LED lighted, the current drawn is about 5mA

Looks good for now,....will put it on a test flight later.

Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

DIY- Lipo Voltage Detector

With a rather long wire (25cm) which I will eventually trim shorter, the total weight is 4 gram.

Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Voltage monitor

thinks w kby e-flyler save $$$$$$,

Comment

Thanks

Hi helichoo,

Thanks for the encouragement.....Makes the sharing more meaningful when you know that your posting interest some members..

Originally posted by helichoo
            thinks w kby e-flyler save $$$$$$,
            Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Nice sharing...even though I think I do not need at the moment.

BTW, is it same or similar to the one that someone posted before... quite sometime back?

SH

Comment

Newbie gadget

Hi SH,

Didn't realise it was posted by someone else before in DH. I actually learn it from another forum which was posted by Gary Sweet and was surprise to find a substitute IC available locally.

For season pilot like yourself, I am sure you don't need such gadget which adds weight. Its for newbies (like me) who constaintly holds the fear that the heli will just suddenly drop from the sky.

I also realised that controlling the time of flight should still be the first line of defence and intend to use this gadget as a "In case I lost track of time" situation. Anyway it is cheap (only $4.20) and the real reason is..."build for fun loh".

Its a newbie's gadget for low flight. Once the heli goes too high, it would be impossible to see the LED...he he he....

Post by newbie for newbie.

All expert comment are welcomed, many many thanks for your encouragement SH.....

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
                Nice sharing...even though I think I do not need at the moment.

BTW, is it same or similar to the one that someone posted before... quite sometime back?

SH
                Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

hi w_kby, thanks for sharing..your posts always interest me..just like the one on mounting the gy401..

great to have guys with great creativity like you. i have a variable voltage psu for charging my batteries. if you do happen to be around bt panjang, do swing by so that you can test it out..

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks awesome for your compliment. I am still very new to this hobby and technically obsessed by the little heli. There are just so much to learn and plenty of knowledge from past forum threads. This hobby actually consumed my entire leisure time.

I will soon try the Lipo Voltage Monitor on the heli until it light up, then measure the voltage directly, so thanks for your offer, I think I do not need the variable PS for now.

However, I would like to pop by someday to met you up. Only thing is Bt Panjang is one place I hardly go and the last time I was there, I got lost.

Will certainly meet you up for a chat one of these days. Thanks for your "always helpful" gesture.

Originally posted by awesome
                    hi w_kby, thanks for sharing..your posts always interest me..just like the one on mounting the gy401..

great to have guys with great creativity like you. i have a variable voltage psu for charging my batteries. if you do happen to be around bt panjang, do swing by so that you can test it out..
                    Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Originally posted by w_kby
                      Thanks awesome for your compliment. I am still very new to this hobby and technically obsessed by the little heli. There are just so much to learn and plenty of knowledge from past forum threads. This hobby actually consumed my entire leisure time.

I will soon try the Lipo Voltage Monitor on the heli until it light up, then measure the voltage directly, so thanks for your offer, I think I do not need the variable PS for now.

However, I would like to pop by someday to met you up. Only thing is Bt Panjang is one place I hardly go and the last time I was there, I got lost.

Will certainly meet you up for a chat one of these days. Thanks for your "always helpful" gesture.
                      yes, these flying thing really catches your heart isn't it? me too, i hardly have time these days though always eager to fly..and when you're in it, every minute of your time is precious..

re this thing, i had thought about it previously ie. either light or sound indications but really, when your heli is far you'll probably not going to see or hear the warning..best is still to know your batt well (you should, after a few cycle) and using the timer on your tx. Its good that you spare some thoughts on this, though.

yeah, me too. would like to meet you one day and hopefully fly together..i have made some really good friends here in this forum, since started this hobby about slightly over a year ago..

and you are not the only one who will get lost there..hee - i get lost wherever i go hee..

no problem about helping lah, if i can and provided not too inconvenient for me..

Comment

Variable voltage regulator

w_kby,

u sound like you are familiar with electronic circuits. Why not make a variable voltage regulator using a LM317. Many designs can be found on the web on this IC and seriously, u don't need to be electronics trained to build one. Then u'll be able to test ur LVD (total cost <$5 for this little proj)

Comment

You are Awesome right about knowing thy battery!

I remember the last hover I flew until heli refuse to take off. The voltage then was about 9.5v. So, if I rely on the LED, the heli may have crashed. May need to change the LED triggle voltage higher.

Originally posted by awesome
                          yes, these flying thing really catches your heart isn't it? me too, i hardly have time these days though always eager to fly..and when you're in it, every minute of your time is precious..

re this thing, i had thought about it previously ie. either light or sound indications but really, when your heli is far you'll probably not going to see or hear the warning..best is still to know your batt well (you should, after a few cycle) and using the timer on your tx. Its good that you spare some thoughts on this, though.

yeah, me too. would like to meet you one day and hopefully fly together..i have made some really good friends here in this forum, since started this hobby about slightly over a year ago..

and you are not the only one who will get lost there..hee - i get lost wherever i go hee..

no problem about helping lah, if i can and provided not too inconvenient for me..
                          Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Hi gEcky,

Thanks for your information.....Loves these $5/- gudgets....Will go find out later.

Originally posted by gEcky
                            w_kby,

u sound like you are familiar with electronic circuits. Why not make a variable voltage regulator using a LM317. Many designs can be found on the web on this IC and seriously, u don't need to be electronics trained to build one. Then u'll be able to test ur LVD (total cost <$5 for this little proj)
                            Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

U can use 2 or more resistor in series... and then the o/p is tap between that series of resistor to give u voltage divider.... therefore, can create a very very very simple variable voltage supply.

U can use potential/variable resistor to do the job as well.

SH

Comment

Working...
                              X