Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Power Supply for DC Charger?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the Great Planes ElectriFly Triton DC Comp Peak Charger but it's only accepts DC. Towers recommends a 12V power supply with a minimum 13A current delivery.

I'm thinking of using the CPU ATX power supply (12V at 12 - 18A, depending on models).

Will there be a problem? I've read about ppl using it but some mentioned about 'regulated' current modifications. Anyone has any experience in this?

My current batts are

1) AA NiMh 2100 x 8 for Tx
    2) 5 cells NiMh 1100 Rx packs.
    3) 6 cells NiMh 3300 sub C packs.
    4) 6 cells NiCd 1700 sub C packs.
    5) 12 V dry cell 7200 mAh
    6) 1200 2s LiPos

Thanks for reading.

Cheers!
    For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Hi

It should not have any problem so long as u use ATX power supply that has higher than your required ampere for +12V.

Remember that u need to short 2 wires to turn on an ATX power supply.

Super-Hornet

Comment

alos make sure that the power unit is putting out 12 volts I tried three and only one was putting out 12 v the other were 11.4 and 11.6 and the triton dosent lik that

But my one is working fine

cheers doug

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet

Remember that u need to short 2 wires to turn on an ATX power supply.

Super-Hornet
        Thanks Super-Hornet but can you elaborate on the shorting or wires part? I'm not a technical person so I dun really understand.

Cheers!
        For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tele
          alos make sure that the power unit is putting out 12 volts I tried three and only one was putting out 12 v the other were 11.4 and 11.6 and the triton dosent lik that

But my one is working fine

cheers doug
          As so! Any need to do any mods to 'regulate' the current?

Cheers!

Comment

here is the info you need

1379.zip

Comment

Thanks a mil!

Comment

Looks like useful infor here. I may need to do one also....but the current of 13A at 12V from the ATX, would that hurt the Hobbico Elite Accu-Cycle Charger which requires at least 2Amp.

Thank you.

Comment

It should not have any problem because the 13Amps is the max o/p for that ATX. Your charger willl tape approx 2 to 3Amps only.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
                    It should not have any problem because the 13Amps is the max o/p for that ATX. Your charger willl tape approx 2 to 3Amps only.

Super-Hornet
                    Thanks Tele for the ATX mod. Done one for myself. Output checks out to 12V.

Super Hornet: I am gonna plug it in to my Hobbico Elite Charger. keeping fingers cross here....

Comment

Yepeeeeee!!!! it works

Damn! should have done this first before spending $50 on a useless piece of crab from "Super"!

Comment

see here

enjoy!

Team RCFlipMaster

Comment

Thanks for the link! I'll be getting my Triton soon, so hopefully can start to mod the ATX.

Sorry to hear about your recent accident. I hope you've made a quick and complete recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Armour
                            Thanks for the link! I'll be getting my Triton soon, so hopefully can start to mod the ATX.

Sorry to hear about your recent accident. I hope you've made a quick and complete recovery.
                            Thanks brother... can go out and fly already~~ no problem~~
                            Team RCFlipMaster

Comment

Originally posted by makuang
                              Thanks brother... can go out and fly already~~ no problem~~
                              That's a sure sign you're well! Great, man!

Comment

Working...
                              X