Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Tamiya Battle System

Hi fellas,

I dun own a tank but am curious about the battle system. Anyone knows how it works? I presume it is an IR system much like tv remote. But tv remote dun have to point nicely at tv and still can change channel. With RC tank, you gotta aim nice nice then considered hit enemy right?

Also, where can I get my hands on a battle system n how much in Sg? I see online that it is over a hundred USD.

Thanks to anyone who can satisfy my curiousity.

Cheers,
    Muddy

This is a cut and paste job from an explanation I posted in an earlier thread:

These tanks are "armed" with infra-red emitters and receivers, similar in concept and execution to SAF's MILES system. You will notice the black cylinder positioned atop each tank's turret. Each tank can be set to either be a heavy, medium or light tank. The infra red beam is effective out to approximately 30 metres depending on lighting conditions (bright sunny days may cut the range). When an enemy tank is hit, LEDs on the black cylinder blink to register the hit.

The system also attempts to duplicate the fact that from longer ranges, shells impacting at an angle tend to deflect off armour, rather than penetrate it. As a result, beyond 5 metres range, you must shoot an enemy at his 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock or 9 o'clock positions on his turret (other than the Jagdpanther, all the other tanks have rotating turrets). This simulates hitting the enemy's armor plate at a 90 degree angle and penetrating. Inside 5 metres range, as long as you have aimed your gun properly, the opponent is vulnerable from any angle. The picture below shows this concept as a schematic, but I also had difficulty understanding the concept till I actually played a battle, and started getting hits:

A heavy tank can withstand 9 shots, but it takes 9 seconds to "reload" and shoot again.

A medium tank can withstand 6 shots, but it takes 6 seconds to "reload" and shoot again.

A light tank can withstand 3 shots, but it takes 3 seconds to "reload" and shoot again.

The settings do not affect the movement speed of the tank. Each tank model has its own unique characteristics pertaining to its physical attributes: movement speed, turret rotating speed, mobility (owing to traction), and even reliability. However, with successive hits, the tank gets slower and slower, reflecting that its combat capacity is reduced.

You are able to buy Tamiya Battle Units from the local Tamiya distributor Stargek, or you can try Elite Racing Model at Orchard Plaza whose prices should be quite competitive.
    Tamiya Tiger I, M26 Pershing, Leopard 2A6, Scania R620/flatbed trailer, Wedico drop deck trailer

SG Tankies:

Comment

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I saw the black cylindrical shape in the commander's hatch, which i assume is the receiver module. I presume that what a tank should aim for, is not the really the body of the enemy's tanks but rather, the cylinder itself.

I also think that it is not necessary for your own gun to be pointed straight at the cylinder to score a hit. A hit can be registered as long as a gun is pointed in the general direction of the cylindrical receiver module.

Am I correct? Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Yes, you aim for the cylinder. Generally speaking for long range shots, we look at the direction that the opponent's turret is pointed to determine if we can make a shot that counts. If you shoot your opponent at a 45 degree angle, it won't register a hit even if you aimed properly. You would have to hit him at the 12, 3, 6 or 9 o'clock directions.

The emitter if installed properly has a reasonably tight spread of effectiveness. If it is not shielded properly it would have a broader spread of effectiveness but the range also suffers.

We have a game this weekend, it would be easier to demonstrate to you how it works. Do you have a tank?
        Tamiya Tiger I, M26 Pershing, Leopard 2A6, Scania R620/flatbed trailer, Wedico drop deck trailer

SG Tankies:

Comment

I see on the cylinder that there are leds on it. Do you know what the leds are for?

Have you tried shooting yourself with a mirror? I wonder if it works.

I ask so many questions because I am into robotics and am exploring the idea of using the battle system for some research work of mine. Thanks again for the info.

Unfortunately, I dun have a tank. I will come to kaypo and learn more at the organised games perhaps.

Comment

The LEDs give a visual indicator that you have taken a hit. It also allows the tank who fired to see that he had made an effective hit.

Shooting yourself in the mirror does not work in normal combat modes. There is a test mode on the battle unit that allows you to shoot at any smooth surface that bounces back at yourself to register a hit though.

Tamiya battle units require the attendant multifunction unit that comes with their full option tanks in order to function. It is not a standalone unit.

You may wish to look at the Impact MiniACT if you are considering robotics applications:

We help you acquire the perfect domain for your site. Affordable payment options. Quick and responsive customer support available.

For our games though, we keep our electronics to Tamiya Battle Units.

SG Tankies:

Comment

ya. u should go , see n learn how they play n how the TBU work. if u wan to do project on ur robot.

Comment

Great! I think I will go for one of the battle sessions.

Its quite a bummer to learn that the battle system is not standalone though. Thought I can just get a battle unit to play with by itself.

Comment

As I mention the Impact MiniACT when coupled with their battle unit, is standalone.

We'll be having a game this Sunday afternoon at ECP next to the Skate Park.

SG Tankies:

Comment

Working...
                  X