Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frsky Taranis Hands On Review- Straight to the point

Diving straight to the point. This transmitter is amazing, you won't regret getting one.

Pros
    Very good tactile feel of the sticks!
    Throttle activated option for Timer Count Down.
    Custom assignment of Switches.
    Knobs and sliders - Very useful for FPV usage. Knobs can be used to Pan the Camera, SLiders to Tilt the Camera.
    Enough Switches to Satisfy your Needs.
    Custom Tagging of Voice prompts on Switches
    Custom voice alert programming for almost anything
    External Memory Card for storage of models/sounds/image.
    USB port
    OpenTX companion support
    Telemetery Info Page on Screen.
    Very versatile in programming aspects. Boorlean logic for mixing switches? How's that for versatility.
    Cheap, very cheap for its capability

Cons
    Non user replaceable antenna.--well most transmitter on the market does not--
    Its not meant for Idiot, you need to invest some time on it to get the best out of it.
    Slider lack tactile feel to it.
    LCD screen resolution sucks-- old skool tech
    No Rubber grip which also relate to the point listed below
    "Looks Cheap"
    I think there's non-existence in support

Antenna failure saga....
    I broke the antenna on my Taranis when i clumsily drop it on the floor. SWR goes to 81 and antenna warning came along. Cursing and Swearing!%$%#%#$ I have not even flown my aircraft on it and now i broke my new Taranis!!!??What the...
    Be Calm....
    I went to dig up some SMA pigtail, open up my transmitter, removed the silicon glue,de-soldered the antenna joint on the PCB board, cut and splice SMA pigtail to expose the tiny co-axial wire and the ground wire then soldered it to the PCB board. Afterwhich, i drilled a hole on my transmitter body and mounted the SMA receptacle on it. End result, a user-replaceable antenna and now i can replace it easily with *higher dbi antenna when i need to go long range FPV! Here's my Modded Taranis with a 3D printed plug to cover the original antenna shaft. The antenna you see is from my IP camera which i'm pretty sure its a 2dbi antenna.

How do i know it works?
    For Quick and easy way, press page on your transmitter, it should show 0 and when you grip the antenna, it should go up to SWR 17 and when you let go of your hand, it will then drop down to 0.
    For proper way, get a rssi output capable receiver and go to range check mode on taranis, it will effectively reduce the range to 1/30 of nominal range and will continually beep to remind you that you are in reduced range mode. The page will also show you the rssi numbers so take a walk.. If you can walk pass 50 meters with rssi slightly above 40(below 40, most likely you will experience locked out), then it means that the range is, 30 x 50 = 1500M or 1.5km which is the typical minimum advertised range for frsky full range receivers. Now i'm still waiting for the frsky "rssi" capable receivers to arrive at my door step and i will update this post once i get the range check done.

P1080348 P1080349

No idea how to do this mod??? Do a Google on Taranis antenna Mod, you will get an idea how to get it done.*

Working...
X