Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get EC5 4mm Connector locally?

The new Rhino battery now uses "EC5 4mm Connector" instead of Dean.

Anyone has any idea where can I get those connectors (especially male type) locally?

Here is the picture:
    Attached Files

NTC or heli guru : http://shop.heliguru.sg/index.php/to...ction-set.html

Comment

The URL u provide is slightly different.

Take a closer look that the insulator is one pin round and one pin flat on one side.

SH

Comment

HC is going to change their plug soon. So you might not want to invest too much in the EC5 plugs.

This is the message from their site:

"There's a new plug in town and it carries more current and is the same weight as a t-connector. And it looks sexier and is easier to use! Plus, it will come in two sizes 60A and 140A. We will be including a pair with all our batteries soon, plus selling them at cost price in bags of 12! Bye bye Deans."

Comment

Thanks nacar.

I not intend to replace my existing connector.

The situation is this:
          I'm being using Deans on all my helis. Recently I purchase new Rhino battery and now it come with that EC5 connector. HC currently no stock in the EC5, so I was thinking of looking locally so that I can fly my clone TRex500 this weekends. I just found out that Align is also selling EC5 connectors as well.

What I thinking to do is that, I create/solder the EC5 and Dean together to form a converter. Thus, I can connect using EC5 to the new battery and the other end will be in Dean...which currently used by all my helis.

Thus, I do not need to buy a lot of EC5. Just enough to create converter will do. I do not want to cut off the brand new Rhino EC5 and solder Dean because... brand new thing lar...Must "sayang" a bit

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet View Post
            Thanks nacar.

The situation is this:
            I'm being using Deans on all my helis. Recently I purchase new Rhino battery and now it come with that EC5 connector. HC currently no stock in the EC5, so I was thinking of looking locally so that I can fly my clone TRex500 this weekends. I just found out that Align is also selling EC5 connectors as well.

What I thinking to do is that, I create/solder the EC5 and Dean together to form a converter. Thus, I can connect using EC5 to the new battery and the other end will be in Dean...which currently used by all my helis.

Thus, I do not need to buy a lot of EC5. Just enough to create converter will do. I do not want to cut off the brand new Rhino EC5 and solder Dean because... brand new thing lar...Must "sayang" a bit

SH
            I was in the same situation as u too. But unable to find a EC5 for the converter, so I cut it away n solder Deans on the batt

Comment

Did a quick search in the internet.... and suspect the EC5 connector is actually from "E-flite Connector, 5mm". That is where the "EC" word comes about.

Because of that, it may not be a industrial standard connector. Thus, may not able to find it in Sim Lim Tower.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet View Post
                Thanks nacar.

The situation is this:

SH
                I got it, SH. I was just concerned some people may be converting to EC5 without knowing the picture ahead, then it will be money down the drain when HC starts to use the new plug.

Anyway cool. Hopefully my message helps others to be more aware

Comment

What standard will they adopt then?

Hi nacar,

Thanks for the info on the impending connector change. Any idea what the future standard will be? Or will the EC5 be the actual 'new' standard?

I was checking the HC forum about the sudden disappearance of Deans plugs there. It seems that due to legal matters, China/HK will no longer be able to use Deans. I think THIS is why Rhino batts may come with EC5 now. Actually the other brand there is sporting the '3.5mm bullet' type like that is shown in post #2. So looks like there are 2 new standards?

What a pity! Especially the Deans Ultra that HC supplies. I think those deviated from the original design, and in so doing they actually came up with a BETTER product! While the original was smooth-bodied and easy to slip, the HC 'ribbed-bodied' ones were so much easier to grip. I really like those

Personally, my need for the Deans Micro connectors has grown lately, and now I can't get them from there either. sigh.....

Yep, I second SH's idea of making 'EC5-Deans Ultra' convertors. It would be such a waste to chuck all the EC5, and/or convert exisiting Deans, not to mention cost incurred. Unless of course you really hate Deans connectors, lah, like some :>

Let's hope the local shops step up to fill this gap (10pair pack I mean, not singles)
                  ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

SH,

You can use the 4mm bullet connector to make the converter. Don’t need the mating plastic cover as the one on the battery is female. I made one with male bullet to female Dean to solve my connection problem.

Now waiting for HC to confirm the new connector type before changing over. Some of my dean connectors are warring out.
                    Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Crafter View Post
                      Hi nacar,

Thanks for the info on the impending connector change. Any idea what the future standard will be? Or will the EC5 be the actual 'new' standard?
                      This is a picture of the HC new plug which I gotten from their site.

Comment

Originally posted by VinCopter View Post
                        SH,

You can use the 4mm bullet connector to make the converter. Don’t need the mating plastic cover as the one on the battery is female. I made one with male bullet to female Dean to solve my connection problem.

Now waiting for HC to confirm the new connector type before changing over. Some of my dean connectors are warring out.

I double check my Rhino connector and notice there is a word of "EC3". That mean, mine is EC3...not EC5. A quick measure using Vernier Caliper, it is around 3.5mm.

EC3 is available in Rotor by Align. I bought it and make it as an EC3-Dean converter.

The reason I insist of finding EC3, instead of just using any bullet connector is because, it is like Dean connector. U cannot connect in reverse/wrong direction. Using simple bullet pin without the plastic connector can easily connect wrong direction and burn the ESC.

SH

Comment

XT60 connectors are out!

Thanks nacar for the picture earlier.

Well, as of Friday, HC has just started selling that new connector called XT60 as nacar has shown. Supposedly handles up to 65A, and will be used on their batts up to 3000mAh in the near future.

I wonder whether it's an industry standard connector, or did they cook it up just for this hobby application.... at least it looks fairly easy to grip :>

Comment

Originally posted by Crafter View Post
                            Thanks nacar for the picture earlier.

Well, as of Friday, HC has just started selling that new connector called XT60 as nacar has shown. Supposedly handles up to 65A, and will be used on their batts up to 3000mAh in the near future.

I wonder whether it's an industry standard connector, or did they cook it up just for this hobby application.... at least it looks fairly easy to grip :>
                            Looks like it's a new design that they came up with. With the number of batteries going out their door, they'll be creating a new standard pretty soon as long as they package the batteries with their new connector.

Comment

Yep, I hope this XT60 will be able to do it's job reliably, in terms of current-handling, and also that there won't be any future legal issues with patents, etc. wouldn't like to have to worry about changing connectors every now and then, other than for wear and tear, of course.

I wonder who sells those nice ribbed Deans ultras now that HC doesn't. I regret not stocking up, now left with a few precious ones. :>

I think I'll wait a while for the dust to settle before buying any new batteries or connectors anyway. Hopefully this connector-standard episode will have finalized by then.

Comment

Working...
                              X