Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Laboratory PSupply to Charge Battery

Hi all

Anyone of u use those variable current and voltage laboratory power supply to charge Li-Poly and also Gel-Cell Lead battery?

I just finish charging my Li-Poly (3Cell 1500mAH) at 1.5A at 12.6Volt. It takes around 30minutes for the battery to reach 12.6V. At 1Hours 40minutes, the current is around 60mA. Around 2Hours, the current is around 30mA

It can also charge my Gel Cel Lead Acid Battery for 12V 2.3AH and 12V 7AH.

Super-Hornet

I wasnt sure if wat you did is right or wrong. But my triton charger show a slow increase from 0.1A-the charge current slowly.....and upon reaching the charged voltage, it decrease slowly from the charged current down to 0.0A......

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike... different charger may perform differently. Some charger uses Constant Current Constant Voltage while others uses Variable Current but Constant Current.

I measure directly from the battery for those current and voltage. U can't trust those reading from the Power Supply.

When you adjust your charger voltage to 12.6V, when u connect battery for charging.. the voltage will drop to the value of the battery (lets say 10V) and it will slowly rise till it reaches 12.6V

If you read Kokam or any Li-Poly/Ion characteristic, normally the current will drop when it reaches its voltage spec (lets say 3Cell is 12.6V). After that u will see the current slowly drop.

Oh... minor correction on my first post.. it should be 40 Minutes it reaches 12.6V.

Comment

Oh... one more thing... U are charging at 0.1A. Assume your Battery is 1000mAH, that means u are charging at 0.1C

For me.. I going to charge at full 1C for quick/fast charge. That is why i set to 1.5A for my 1500mAH battery.

Super-Hornet

Comment

That's the way those battery industry now is doing..

here are some reference you may refer to, if you can understand chinese:

Team RCFlipMaster

Comment

Hey!! So coincident! I use a power supply by Mastech BUT the design is exactly the same. There are 3 Models for that catagory. One is using 3005 is LED indicator, 3005C is using Analog meter (Which is mine), and finally 3005D is LCD Display.

I wanted to get 3005D (I think only different by S$10) but the shop sold out of 3005D. They not sure when stock will arrive (Boss busy with long distance phone call) and according to the shop assistant, don't think will able to get it by this month. Anyway, I don't trust those meter (Regardless of LCD, LED or Analog meter) and I prefer to measure directly at the o/p stage so I go for the 3005C series.

3005 means 0-30V and 5A max. There are 5003 and 5005 also.

Think about it.. I got it around S$155.xx That is almost the same price as Li-Poly Charger. Not only I can charge Li-Poly, I can charger other battery AND also use for some experimental usage (Need odd voltage value once in the while)

Sorry for the long and winding story.. Once I start,.....can someone stop me plz!

Super-Hornet

Comment

why not use a digital multi-meter?
              no need to buy another new one...

S$110 can buy a full function digital multi-meter with RS232 port which able to connect to PC.... plus the software...

it can help you to generate a diagram for analysising the battery
              Team RCFlipMaster

Comment

makuang... I not sure what do u mean by $110 for digital meter.

I said that PSupply comes with 3 model on the same category.
                Model 3005 is using LED indicator (I think same as the one on that URL u give). The 3005C is using analog meter. 3005D is using LCD Display.

I have my own Digital Multimeter. 2 in fact. One I use for measuring voltage while the other is for measuring current. The Voltmeter accuracy is up to 2 decimal point while the current one can measure from mA (4mA to 20A) of accuracy of 2 decimal point also.

The reason I get the PSupply is to use for electronic projects and also for charging battery.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Hi Super-Hornet,

Care to post or PM me the shop name and address where you got your mastech. I was looking into buying one from the internet as I don't know if they are locally available here in Sg but the uncertainty and shipping cost always turns me down. Have you seen any dual output ones?

There is no problem with the way you charge your lithium cells with a constant-voltage and constant-current.

However, depending on the current state of charge and internal resistance of the battery, you may find that you will not be able to charge at the set maximum current limit. This is only overcomed by increasing the potential differrence or PS voltage setting (not specifically voltage as they would appear to be equal at the output of the PS and battery when connected together) between the PS and battery to drive more current. Otherwise, if the potential differrence remains constant, as the battery voltage increases, the charging current also decreases.

The way the lithiums are charged is with constant-current first with variable voltage to maintain the set charging current. After reaching a certain voltage treshold below the battery rated voltage, the lithiums are then charged using constant voltage and charging current is dictated by the potential differrence between the battery and charger.

You may find that at some point where the battery voltage has not yet reached a certain charged level, the charging current is always
                  lesser than the maximum set current limit.

Hey Makuang,

Also care to post or PM me where you can buy a DMM with RS232 pc interface for around S$110. The ones I can find at Sim Lim square is around 250SGD.

Thanks!
                  FDC

Comment

i see,, then no need to buy... just use your own multi meter

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
                    makuang... I not sure what do u mean by $110 for digital meter.

I said that PSupply comes with 3 model on the same category.
                    Model 3005 is using LED indicator (I think same as the one on that URL u give). The 3005C is using analog meter. 3005D is using LCD Display.

I have my own Digital Multimeter. 2 in fact. One I use for measuring voltage while the other is for measuring current. The Voltmeter accuracy is up to 2 decimal point while the current one can measure from mA (4mA to 20A) of accuracy of 2 decimal point also.

The reason I get the PSupply is to use for electronic projects and also for charging battery.

Super-Hornet
                    Team RCFlipMaster

Comment

Hey Makuang,

Also care to post or PM me where you can buy a DMM with RS232 pc interface for around S$110. The ones I can find at Sim Lim square is around 250SGD.

Thanks!
                      FDC
                      Sim Lim Tower basement, the corner side.. can not remember the shop name

3rd floor also have
                      Team RCFlipMaster

Comment

Whao! Didn't know that such a power supply exists. This is great news for those who want something that can handle almost evey type of battery without costing an arm and a leg.

From the pictures there is two leds labelled CC and CV. Does that mean that the user can choose which mode he wants the PS to work in?

Man this is so cool! Gotta get one of these things man. So versatile. Thanks for the heads up Hornet!
                        What's the shop's name where you got the PS from?
                        -Feda Dragonfly
                        -Hornet 2
                        -Pilot OK Turmeric
                        -Zoom Zoom 4D
                        -Sceadu EVO 50: OS50, Hatori521, Revmax,
                        -Hornet X3D
                        -Hornet X3D (yet to setup!)
                        -Formosa 1
                        -World Models Spot On 50
                        -HB King 2
                        -World Models Groovy 50 F3A
                        -RICCS F18 EDF

Controlled by 9CHP
                        (Temasek Poly AMIG)

Comment

Hi Super-hornet,

I don't mean to sound alarmed but I don't think using a power supply to charge a lithium battery is safe, even with regulated voltage and current. The charging characteristics of a lithium cell is very different from other types of cell. At the start of the charging process the charge current must be kept low and slowly increased as the voltage increases. At the end of the charge cycle, the current is slowly tapered down until it gradually reaches zero as the voltage hits 4.2v per cell.

If you're using a power suppy to charge the cells, you're giving it full charge amps from the start all the way to the finish and thats not good.

Best case scenario: nothing goes wrong.
                          Worst case scenario: The cells explode and fries the surroundings

Even worse if you left the thing charging and forgot about it. Its almost guranteed to blow up.
                          F5D Stratair Viper Triple Carbon
                          F5D Stratair Demon
                          F5D Jibe
                          Jiri Bachinski Escape Pylon
                          Voodoo S400
                          Kyosho Phantom 70 Reno racer
                          La Racer 56

Comment

Sorry for slow response.. I just came back.

Ok... As I said.. There are many ways to charge Battery (Li-Poly) in this case, if you read Kokam specification file for Kokam battery (Or Panasonic Li-Ion), one way is to charge in constant 0.5CmA at CC/CV current at the Cell voltage (e.g. 1Cell is 4.2V). When the cell reaches 4.2V (that is 110Minutes), the current will start dropping. The cut off current is at 1/20 CmA

So, as long as u do not exceed 1C, you are safe. Anyway. I can't guarantee it. I always put the battery in a metal container so if it does explode or anything... it is ok. I never charge battery when I not around.

BTW... the PDF file is at :

or directly to:

FDC... I bought the Power Supply at Sim Lim Square... U know the shop at the main entrance. U can see a lot of Fluke Multimeter and etc.

Today I check at the window display, they have HY5003. (Can't remember whether it is LED series or the D or LCD series). If you interested in high voltage but low current, then that one looks good. As for Dual Power Supply, Yup. They do have. It looks like it support individual tracking or dual tracking also (Change by switch). They even have 10A series also. All those quite big.

I not sure whether Mastech has variable power supply that uses switching power or not. If they have, it will be small and light. Mine uses big Transformer so it is heavy. I think it is around 3kg.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Oh... one more think... I am aware of safety precaution u need for Li-Poly. Anyway, I charge at 1C and the battery didn't change on temperature. Still in Room Temp.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Working...
                              X