Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Started

HI Guys,

Been following this trend and have gotten interested in RC Heli. However, got zero experience with RC Heli and would like to seek the experts here in helping me get started.

Do not wish to keep upgrading both the Transmitter as well as the heli (if possible) and would like to seek the experts advise here on what to get (Heli and transmitter) for a newbie like me to get started.

All advise is greatly appreciated.

If possible, can let me know any one staying in woodlands area who are constantly flying so that I can join in to gain experience.

Thanks

Your question very common.. But then again you still will get the same two sided opinion.

Opinion 1 : buy a small cheap heli to practise orientation before upgrading to bigger heli. Long term is you end up buying and selling and repeating, until you get to your desired heli size.
    Opinion 2 : buy a biggest heli you can afford and start learning from there. Reason because its more stable and more visible.

Very difficult to decide actually.

Transmitter.. Depends on your choice you chosen above.
    If you go for cheaper way out first, you probably end up with a combo. So it will come with a transmitter. Aka RTF kit.
    If you go the expensive way, start off at a big heli, then you probably going to buy a reasonably good transmitter too.

From my past, you can either stArt flying from as low as $300 to more than $1000.
    Crashes and spare parts not included.

If this is your first RC kit, then you need chargers, lipos, tools, bags and accessories, balancers, pitch gauges, swash levellers, soldering kit, etc.. All add up.
    I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Pls keep safety as yr utmost priority. Its a rather steep learning curve but its extremely enriching.Dun go rushing to buy a rex700 as yr training heli.
      Heli-ADDICTION:
      Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
      JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Just my 2ct worth to save cost. For those who embrace intellectual property rights, pls avoid my post cos I'm a self-professed cheapo.
        1)kbar-50@*****ood
        2)yep 120hv-138@hking
        3)turnigy bec-20@hk
        4)hk500gt kit@hk
        5)4 mini servos->100@hking

Or keep a lookout in sale section. Cfm good buys if you do some reading first.
        Heli-ADDICTION:

Comment

this should be a sticky thread.
          Kedi AH !

Comment

There are various school of thoughts in this discussion. Not the first and never the last. My suggestion is to get a bnf quad to learn orientation. The classified is a good place to look out for good deals but of course u need to decide your path. There is no right and wrong in whatever u choose.
            Too many helis!

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no one path that will work for everybody. Every person is different. Which path you take, will depend on your budget, mental strength, motor skill, mechanical skill, age, level of interest, determination, character, engineering knowledge, etc. It is not easy for a newbie to know enough to pick the right path. Many picked the wrong path and gave up after some time. Most important is not to give up easily, be prepared to go through the long training process.
              Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

I'm quite surprised that none of you recommended that the OP learn to fly using a simulator first. That, I think, is one of the best investment that a newbie should spend on. It'll avoid unnecessary cost, and bruised ego and self-confidence due to crashes, and also avoids downtime while waiting for parts and repair time.

Comment

I gave up once. Got my hands on a brand new rtf honeybee and with no sim training, could not even get the heli off the ground. Finally crash it and sold it off as spares to someone in this forum. Came back later after a year with 2nd hand stuff and lots of sim. Like what dt1233 had said, it is very difficult to recommend becos you could give up just after starting after spending too much money. Heli is not really easy with complicated building, setting up, tuning, troubleshooting and flying but the most rewarding of all. My opinion after trying planes, helis and multirotor copters.
                  Too many helis!

Comment

My one cent.

This is one of the paths that work for most newbies.

Stage 1.

Get yourself a simulator and an Align Trex 450 Plus RTF. If you already have a transmitter, you can get the BTF version. The RTF comes with everything you need to start, a pre-built heli, a 6 channel transmitter (Futaba T6J), charger and a battery. I suggest you start with the simulator first. It should take a day to a week to be able to hover on the simulator (if you practise everyday). Once you can hover on simulator, start to practice hovering on the Trex 450. You should be able to hover within a few days to a week. Continue to practise with the real heli (remember to still practise on simulator on a daily basis) until you reach level that you can comfortably move the heli around (tail-in). This should take about another few weeks or to a month or two. You are then ready to progress to next stage. You can now sell your 450 for about half the price (assuming it is still in flying condition). Of course you can keep it if you like.

Stage 2.

Get yourself a Trex 550 super combo or other combo. Since this is going to be your first big heli, a combo is lowest cost to own one.
                    Build the heli yourself, you will love your heli more.

With this heli, practise all the orientations, figure eight, backward flights. etc. It is much easier to learn nose-in with a 550 heli rather than a 450 size. Do your first inverted with this heli and then inverted hovering. Once you are able to do inverted hovering comfortably, it is time for you to move to the 700 size heli. Of course, you can stay with the 550 size to continue your training, but a 700 size will make it easier for you to progress.
                    Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate all your respond.
                      Yes, fully agree that there is no one single path to start off a new hobby...thus the topic in this forum.
                      Would be great if any of you guys are flying around Woodlands area over the weekend for me to catch up and learn from you gurus here.

Have to agree that heli is a lot more complex compared to the rest.
                      Anyone can give an idiot proof explaination to some of the common terms used for RC heli to help me understand what they are and their function?

Things like:
                      FLB
                      Gyro
                      Channels on Transmitter
                      Servo
                      Vbar
                      Just to name a few...

Am setting a stretched budget of around $700 for a decent Heli (thinking of either size 500 or 550 (max) heli) with a decent Transmitter (cum receiver). With minimum upgrades down the road (as I learn along the way).

Will be be possible with this budget?

The other challenge that I am facing is time. With young kids at home, the amount of time I have to venture into this hobby (as well as meeting others for advices) are limited to weekends only.

I used to see a group of people near my place flying heli and planes...but not sure where they have moved to since the field have been fenced for construction.

Any kind soul willing to guide this newbie along the way?

Comment

$700 for 500 or 550 is possible, but it is definitely a pre-owned. ( or clones )

But still.. 500 size heli battery usually cost $80 to $100 each. 550 size... Er... I cannot afford.. LOL

FBL, by observing the look of the heli, clearly you only see 2 big blades, without the two short little paddles that look like a balancing see saw cantilever. FBL requires a FBL gyro. Most Align Trex ( take this brand as an example ) are FBL.
                        Vbar is one brand of gyro. There are others, such as beast, ebar, robird, gpro, turnigy, etc

You need at least 6 channel radio.

Servo, you need 4. Typically 3 of the same brand and model to use on your swash. 1 to control your tail, which can or not necessarily be of the same brand or model.

The bigger the heli, the better ( and more expensive ) you need your servo.
                        That doesnt mean you cant use cheap ones though. But for me, i prefer to have a cheap blade and heli body than a cheap servo.

With kids at home, just like myself, please take note of first warning.. Never power up your heli in your house with blades installed.
                        If necessary, i always take extra effort to remove all the blades before connecting the Lipo.
                        Then put back once done. Else, i wait until my kids are asleep before i work on it, if i need the blades installed.

Else is 1000 valley of regret..
                        I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Northlink has 1 team of experienced flyers, experts

Comment

Hi guys...

Thanks for lesson...

Anyone got lobang for a decent FBL Align 500/ 550 with a decent tranmitter to let go...let me know....will definately take it slow and NEVER fly with kids around....

Anyone know when the "northlink" guys are flying or their usual flying venue or schedule?

Thanks

Comment

Never ever fly in yr home! Period, no compromise whatsoever. Heli crash can repair or dump. Children if injured...unthinkable!
                              Heli-ADDICTION:

Comment

Working...
                              X