Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What battery to use?

Can a vortex use a E-Power 2Cell 1250Mah 7.4v? The usual vortex battery is DYNAM 2S1P 800mAh 7.4V 10C Lipo Battery...

And what is 2S1P?....thanks
    Lost in the World of RC Heli.....but FUN!

Should be fine.

Quoted from rchobbies.org

Series
    Individual Lithium Polymer cells have a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts (vs. 1.2volts per cell for Ni-Cds). Cells are wired in series to give the following pack voltages:

1 cell = 3.7 volts
    2 cells in series = 7.4 volts
    3 cells in series = 11.1 volts

Parallel
    Unlike Ni-Cd and Ni-MH cells that self-discharge when wired in parallel, LiPo cells can be hooked up, charged and discharged in parallel with no detrimental effect. Wiring two LiPo cells in parallel doubles the capacity (more run time), plus an important advantage of wiring in parallel is that each cell only sees half the total current.

3S 2P
    A battery pack that has three cells in series (giving 11.1 volts) and 2 of these 3-cell packs are wired in parallel is commonly referred to as a 3S, 2P (3 series, 2 parallel).

Comment

Thanks man!
      Lost in the World of RC Heli.....but FUN!

Comment

U can use a higher capacity batt but always remember, the motor requires lots of resting!!!

Advice not to play more than 10 mins on a brushed motor. If not motor very fast up lorry.

Comment

It is actually better to use a higher capacity battery pack, because it gives longer flight time and increased stability due to weight.

However, the different battery dimensions and weight gives rise to other problems.

A new battery holder may be required to accomodate the battery since it will usually be larger (Thunderpower packs may be an exception )

The motors have to work much harder to get the heli into the air and will produce a lot more heat as a consequence. The extra heat produced could greatly shorten the motor lifespan if not dissipated in time, so heatsinks and better airflow to the motors will usually be needed to offset this problem.

I did the airflow and heatsink mod to my V3 Lama (similar to the vortex) and all I can say is it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli
            U can use a higher capacity batt but always remember, the motor requires lots of resting!!!

Advice not to play more than 10 mins on a brushed motor. If not motor very fast up lorry.
            My lama v3 have been using 3s 1000mah lipo from day 1 , so far have over 50 flights , still no up lorry yet ... , cos I have those 5A overload
            resetable fuse on each motor

Oh , btw ... using 3s on lama is like having turbo charged , trememdous lift off power yup , I rest the bird every 10 minutes
            Esky HBT
            Esky Lama V3
            Walkera #4 (honey bee fp clone)
            Walkera #22D (MS Hornet 2 clone)
            Walkera #35 (Zap400 clone)
            Walkera #36 (mix zap400 / trex clone)
            Walkera #60 (all metal airframe)
            Align Trex XL HDE
            MiniTitan E325
            ARK X-450

Comment

Originally posted by Salem
              My lama v3 have been using 3s 1000mah lipo from day 1 , so far have over 50 flights , still no up lorry yet ... , cos I have those 5A overload
              resetable fuse on each motor

Oh , btw ... using 3s on lama is like having turbo charged , trememdous lift off power yup , I rest the bird every 10 minutes
              LOL ! ....wondering why you would want to run 3 cells on yur Lama ? ....this heli cannot bank in a turn, if you do, the 2 blades will kiss each other !

....then I realised it could be quite fun using the Lama to shoot a new climb to height record !
              Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit
                LOL ! ....wondering why you would want to run 3 cells on yur Lama ? ....this heli cannot bank in a turn, if you do, the 2 blades will kiss each other !

....then I realised it could be quite fun using the Lama to shoot a new climb to height record !
                Hi

Am wondering the difference between Li-poly and Ni-cad batteries? Any comments?

Stress

Comment

A difference of heaven and earth

Li-poly is lighter and packs more punch. Ni-cad....well they're like yester-year's black and white TV

Comment

Originally posted by Stress
                    Hi

Am wondering the difference between Li-poly and Ni-cad batteries? Any comments?

Stress
                    For the same weight and mass, Lipo has more capacity than NiCd or NiMh.

But NiCd / NiMh has higher discharge tolerances.
                    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Working...
                    X