Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any grown adults here feel guilty playing RC car/trucks?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any grown adults here feel guilty playing RC car/trucks?

I am one of those RC car enthusiast who oftens plays my favourite RC car/truck at the field, parks and gardens. Sometimes kids will be the one watching at us play which by right they should be playing them instead. I felt awkward at times and a bit "paiseh" in the public.

As I am in my late thirties, how does the public eye really sees us when they see an adult playing an RC car? Will they think we are childish? Kiddish? Not grown up? Or is it just me being too self conscious.....? Please help advise as need to get this out of my system

Hmm IMO maybe 99% of the ppl out there perceive RC models as toys because most ppl don't understand the difficulty or complexity of it. Until they try for themselves. Case in point, every person who thinks that RC helis are easy to fly and not dangerous lol..

I'm in my late twenties and a number of ppl have asked why I 'waste money' on these 'toys'. True that it can get expensive but as long as we exercise care and control over expenditure the ones who matter to us will understand eventually. After all its just another hobby like cycling or golf some hobbies just cost more. Lol a shopkeeper told my mum once that RC is a more wholesome hobby than say heavy drinking or gambling haha..

So no need to paiseh and enjoy the attention abit. =) You might be subconsciously programming those kids to become engineers in future haha..
    [:]=-[Hangar]-=[:]
    Trex 450L Dominator
    Goblin 500
    Spektrum DX9

"Airplanes fly while helicopters simply beat the air into submission."
    -RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Don't worry Ebpwu, join us at the track, Segar, Urban...there will be too many other adults for people to point fingers at.

Furthermore, most of this Rc cars are dangerous in the hands of kids. Can't be child play.

Comment

It's all in the mind. Hobbies are great
        Items for Sale:

Comment

Anything more than $500 is not child's play.
          I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

I'm near 40s and had just pick up this hobby/
            Yup, its expensive.
            I'm a newbie in rc trying to play something which i want to play when i was a kid
            See you guys when i fix up my kraton

Comment

Don't worry ebpwu. I am around the same age as you and recently just got back into the hobby. I fly glow planes.

Playing RC better then playing PRC women. That's how I justify myself anyways

Enjoy your hobby dude. You are entitled to. After all, being a working adult in Singapore is tough.

I see people spend money on more ridiculous things e.g. $5000 branded handbags - doesn't even come with engines wtf??!

So us RC folks are quite ok after all. Just do what you enjoy and enjoy it to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by gpang788 View Post

i see people spend money on more ridiculous things e.g. $5000 branded handbags - doesn't even come with engines wtf??!
                lol!
                Trex 450L Dominator
                Goblin 500
                Spektrum DX9

-RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The older you get, the more you should be playingradio control models.

First, you learn new things, such as radio modulations, new technology, what is FPV, how servos work, what is a brushless and brushed motors, flying mechanics and theories, on road car handling and its setup, etc.. In fact so much more that you felt your education wasn't even completed.

Then there is the personal well being of harnessing your eye hand coordination, fine motor skills, etc.. Things that subtly works your brain and limbs so that we won't grow old with some retarded brain illness.

If you fly, in fact it boost your heart rate to MHR for a few minutes, and that improves blood circulation.
                  I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

I usually get into the lift with my airplane and have a very proud feeling when someone says "That is cool. Does it really fly?".

Until they ask the next question "Is it yours or does it belong to one of your kids?"...

Comment

I guess the moral of the story is to buy bigger RC airplanes/helis/cars/boats...

When it's that BIG, it won't be mistaken for a "toy"
                      ------------------------------
                      Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
                      NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
                        I guess the moral of the story is to buy bigger RC airplanes/helis/cars/boats...

When it's that BIG, it won't be mistaken for a "toy"
                        BIG (tua kee or tua jia), need not necessary mean good or useful. Someone spent $7,000 on one BIG heli, but dare not fly, the heli sound was too powerful and scary. LOL.

Comment

I only paiseh when I see my dwindling bank account owing to my wanton spending in helis n now quads. Its bad.
                          Heli-ADDICTION:
                          Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                          JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Originally posted by nb8686 View Post
                            BIG (tua kee or tua jia), need not necessary mean good or useful. Someone spent $7,000 on one BIG heli, but dare not fly, the heli sound was too powerful and scary. LOL.
                            Then need to buy the intermediate sizes leading up to the $7k heli to get used to the sound hahahaha...
                            Trex 450L Dominator
                            Goblin 500
                            Spektrum DX9

-RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

You haven't seen the kids' toy yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X