Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My e-savage with a custom extended low cg chassis

Just want to show you people wat I've been up to for the past few days. This is my e-savage with a custom extended low cg chassis. The Chassis plates have been extended by 40mm. Each stock chassis plate was cut in half and then rejoined to L-bars using 8 screws. The L-bars help
    extended the plates.

The stock transmission gear box has its direction reversed and moved forward to just behind the receiver box. The now front center universal shaft is shorted and the rear universal shaft replaced with a stock axle shaft. A custom motor plate is fabricated. The motor plate allows the use of 17T to 26T pinions. The motor is lowered by more than 50mm and is slightly offset to the right so that the motor can doesn't touch the rear center universal shaft. A powerful (but noisy) 12V mini fan is positioned right above the center of the motor. So the position of the fan roughly tells u where motor is below. This chassis mod allows the use of 36mm diameter motor with a length of up to 90mm (assuming that there is such a motor) but the esc will have to be shifted somewhere else. Without shifting the esc, the maximum length of a 36mm diameter motor that can be used is 80mm.

The mamba max is positioned at the rear end. It is attached to a fabricated plastic piece that has been glued to the stock X support piece. A mini blower is right in front of it (beside the motor). Although the motor/esc area is cramped but air flow is pretty good thanks to the powerful duct fan and the mini blower. A blower can produce higher air pressure compared to a similar sized duct fan and so imo, it is better at pushing air through the gaps in between the fins of a heatsink. Which explains why a mini blower is used to cool the esc.

The white boxes at the side of the chassis are the battery trays with venting holes on the inner side. They are made of 1mm thick PVC sheets. Each weighs at around 40g which is pretty heavy considering they are just battery trays. These battery trays put the lipos slightly forward so that the CG of the e-savage is balanced right at the center. The lipo batteries are held in with Cut up L-bars which are secured with body clips.

I have plans for a gear cover but I simply need a break from modding the e-savage. Will probably do it up next week. A lot of planning was done before the mod was started. I've tried to reuse as many stock parts as possible so that I dun have to fabricate or buy new parts. There is no hop up at all other than the 1/2 inch offset wheels. The e-savage currently weighs at 4.2Kg.
    I haven't got the chance to test run it yet but I will probably do it soon. I really hope that it can corner better now. The original E-savage is simply
    too top heavy. I am thinking of modding the shock towers next. Is there any shorter shock towers and shocks that can be used on the e-savage? Can anyone give me a hint? Thanks.

Setup:
    CC Mamba max
    Feigao 540 7L 3511KV brushless motor
    17T pinion and stock spur gear
    2 x 4S Loong max 2250mah lipo 25C (Connected in parallel. Battery don't even get warm on the e-savage. Stays totally cool)
    1/2 inch offset wheels
    DX3.0 and SR3000 receiver

I've attached a photo of my Mini-LST with huge wheels for amusement. Have fun looking at my pictures.
    Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
    Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
    Esky Dauphin
    Walkera Lama 2
    Walkera 5G6
    Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
    Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
    Brushless Micro-T

More pictures
    Esky Dauphin
    Walkera Lama 2
    Walkera 5G6
    Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Last few pictures
      Esky Dauphin
      Walkera Lama 2
      Walkera 5G6
      Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by LittleGiant View Post
        Last few pictures
        oh my.. those r huge wheels!!
        For sale

trex 700/ 12mm main shaft swash leveller. carbon type $22 only new

Comment

Originally posted by johndyl View Post
          oh my.. those r huge wheels!!
          E-savage wheels. I just slot them on. I tot that it looked funny.
          Esky Dauphin
          Walkera Lama 2
          Walkera 5G6
          Brushless Micro-T

Comment

nice chasis mod u've got there... u design the vertical plates yaself??
            i modded mine with extended arms, ran once and have been sitting on my shelf ever since then.. shaft broken, lazy to change.. lol
            garage:
            E-savage basher
            TLT-1 rock buster
            TT-01R/D
            area: jurong, any kakis?

Comment

maybe u can try to drill new holes on the arms, get a stainless steel rod 2/3mm diameter, thread both ends of the rod and put the rod across the arms, attach the shock ends to the ends of the rod and lock with nuts..

Drilling the hole further away from the chasis will lower the ride height!!!
              garage:
              E-savage basher
              TLT-1 rock buster
              TT-01R/D

Comment

Originally posted by ^ZEd^ View Post
                nice chasis mod u've got there... u design the vertical plates yaself??
                i modded mine with extended arms, ran once and have been sitting on my shelf ever since then.. shaft broken, lazy to change.. lol
                U mean the chassis plates?

I used extended the stock plates using L bars. As for the motor plate, Yes, I designed it myself.
                Esky Dauphin
                Walkera Lama 2
                Walkera 5G6
                Brushless Micro-T

Comment

i see.. the motor plate needs to be very precisely designed in that case... too high, cant mesh with the spur; too low, hits the center shaft.. nice work man!!
                  garage:
                  E-savage basher
                  TLT-1 rock buster
                  TT-01R/D

Comment

Originally posted by ^ZEd^ View Post
                    i see.. the motor plate needs to be very precisely designed in that case... too high, cant mesh with the spur; too low, hits the center shaft.. nice work man!!
                    Oh I made it adjustable. Adjust it by turning the motor can. There are 2 curves slots for the motor screws to follow. The movement from its max pinion size and min pinion size will not cause the motor can to even touch the shaft. I gave it alot of tot when I designed it. It was designed in autocad. Even though its hand made, The precision should be less than 0.5mm.

Should not be a problem for 36mm Cans. Originally i wanted to design it for a 45mm 2300kv diameter brushless motor. It is still very new. Only tested it once. But seeing how the 540L can push the e-savage to uncontrollable speeds, I've decided to stick to 36mm diameter motors. First of all the motor will be alot lighter 260g vs 444g. Secondly it will aid greatly in designing a motor plate for the cramped area in the chassis. But with Feigao 540L, efficiency issues are of a real concern here. I think I will just go with a medusa motor. I've heard alot of good stuff about it and it is very affordable. The efficiency should be a lot better than the feigaos and heat should be less of an issue with the medusa motors.
                    Esky Dauphin
                    Walkera Lama 2
                    Walkera 5G6
                    Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Wow... Very nice LittleGiant. Your love affair with the eSavage has come a long way man.

Comment

E-savage with savage X arms
                        Esky Dauphin
                        Walkera Lama 2
                        Walkera 5G6
                        Brushless Micro-T

Comment

More pictures to come
                          Esky Dauphin
                          Walkera Lama 2
                          Walkera 5G6
                          Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Working...
                          X