Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guillows Hellcat e-conversion experiment

Always been curious to see if these would fly. Have a B-25 from Guillows and another Mosquito (26" wing span, I think... have to check the box again) to convert if this works. More than likely it'll be the Mosquito since the B-25 from Guillows has too many plastic add-ons which might be a weight concern.

Anyhow, here's a stab at the Hellcat. The overall skeleton came about over a weekend. The motor mount was another night of tinkering. Have the 2 main control surfaces I want figured. Just a matter of getting them operational.

Next up is how to sit the servos and attempt to get hte CG right. Still thinking if it's worth cutting open a hatch.

Anyhow, comments and suggestions welcomed. Just another one of my curious projects I want to put to rest.....

Hope the darn thing flies!

Oh, anyone with a tiny receiver with a 40.790 MHz crystal? (yes, I'm a dinosaur)

Here's yesterday's progress:
    - shaped the ailerons from some scrap aileron stock
    - connected the motor, ESC, battery and prop
    - and made a call to use the bellypan as the hatch section (will use a dowel n earth magnets, else, there's always rubber bands)

Prop run doesn't seem to be balanced and I'm guessing it's the shaft n prop saver. Will get Jethobby to help with that since that's where I got most of the mechanics.

Any suggestions on elevator hinging? Too thin for mylar hinges. So, thinking of just tape. Horns will just be thin ply glued in.

Oh, anyone with tiny receivers? 40MHz is a must.... crystal might be an issue too.....40.790.

Comment

Saw your motor setup. Do you usually leave the brass connectors exposed ? i am always worried that they touch each other and short circuit my electronics.

Comment

Another suggestion if you dont find your mini receiver is to take out the plastic housing of the futaba and cover with thin sponge instead.

Comment

You have a point on the connectors being exposed. Admittedly, I'm not too experienced with electrics. It's been a means to getting stick time only.

I'd say that I've probably been lucky given the heat-shrink insulations have been a slightly thicker band which has so far been keeping the connectors apart.

But, you do have me wondering now.....

Didn't want to 'hack' my Futaba but yes, that'll have to be an option. Also have a cheaper Rx from Jethobby but ideally, wanted a fit-for-purpose size. Being too idealistic.

Comment

For the connectors, the really cheap way to insulate them is to buy the fish tube from the fish shop... yo know the plastic white or blue ones. I hate using the insulating tape because they become sticky after awhile.

Good for up to 3 mm connectors

Comment

Since weight is critical on small plane, some suggestions for your consideration.

+ Remove the connectors and solder the motor wire directly to the ESC
              + Use a small receiver like this BA-R3P5 Nano Receiver 40Mhz
              Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Originally posted by chessgame View Post
                For the connectors, the really cheap way to insulate them is to buy the fish tube from the fish shop... yo know the plastic white or blue ones. I hate using the insulating tape because they become sticky after awhile.

Good for up to 3 mm connectors
                If really too concerned with weights, just slot them onto just 2 of them. The remaining 3rd wire exposed. It won't have anything to short out anyway since both are already protected.
                I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Great stuff guys.... Appreciate the pointers. Will consider.

On that nano receiver, it's perfect. Just that that's the only darn frequency crystal he has no stock of!

Comment

Dave
                    They do fly. I used to have a mustang converted to 2CH RC. I sheeted the fuse back then cutting down time on putting on all the stringer.

Enjoying yr built

Originally posted by Tsunami33 View Post
                    Always been curious to see if these would fly. Have a B-25 from Guillows and another Mosquito (26" wing span, I think... have to check the box again) to convert if this works. More than likely it'll be the Mosquito since the B-25 from Guillows has too many plastic add-ons which might be a weight concern.

Anyhow, here's a stab at the Hellcat. The overall skeleton came about over a weekend. The motor mount was another night of tinkering. Have the 2 main control surfaces I want figured. Just a matter of getting them operational.

Next up is how to sit the servos and attempt to get hte CG right. Still thinking if it's worth cutting open a hatch.

Anyhow, comments and suggestions welcomed. Just another one of my curious projects I want to put to rest.....

Hope the darn thing flies!

Oh, anyone with a tiny receiver with a 40.790 MHz crystal? (yes, I'm a dinosaur)

Comment

For your motor and ESC wiring, I'd recommend the wires to be soldered directly and insulated with heat shrink tubings. Just make sure you confirm that the motor is turning the correct direction, and the wire's length is just enough to mount the hardware properly. Connectors between ESC and motor are redundant to me unless I foresee the need to change or remove the hardware from time to time. Else, they are a waste of money and effort for that little convenience that you seldom use anyway.

As for the hinging, I'll save all unnecessary hardware and use the covering film itself. Most of my models, big and small, are using this.

Comment

Here's the latest progress:
                        - added belly pan to the wings
                        - wing mounting with dowel and earth magnets
                        - simple wire linkage for ailerons
                        - mount / remount elevator servo (conflicted with aileron servo)

Next up is to test both servo movements for conflicts / friction. Elevators will have to be monokoted as per Joe's suggestion.

From then on, it's tissue & dope time. Decided that I'm going to maiden before any ruddy paint gets on.

And for the next small conversion, at least I have a going in positon fo the aileron setup.

Dave

Comment

Interesting project. A nice break from the shake and bake models. Be watching your project with interest. The model seemed to be coming together nicely, just watch the weight for small model as usual, keep the posts coming. Good job.

Cheers
                          TB

Comment

Thanks. Weight is still a concern. I'm not sure how much I can skimp on the balsa already. Have a few suggestions already on the receiver plastic casing, streamlining the wires, removing connectors, etc.

If anyone has better options for servos n receivers, am all ears. Think the battery, motor and ESC is as good as it gets for now.

Attached is the intended project for miniaturizing (25" wing span Mosquito):
                            http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/d01.htm

In any case, I have another project to clear before starting anything after this... sigh...

Dave

Comment

Ok, put it all together and clearly, there's a space issue to be resolved next. The motor/ESC wires will have to be shortened, receiver hacked (sob, sob!), etc.

Had the battery installed to check the throws conflicts, and now, I'm really asking myself if the darn thing is too heavy. Ran up the prop on whatever juice was still in and it wasn't very encouraging. Granted it's not meant to prop hang but it really didn't seem like it was capable. What more when the tissue and dope get on? Even with a gas engine, when you tune vertically, there's at least some pull upwards.... hmmm.....

Anyhow, will have to PM the gurus for a physical QA on the weight. Sigh....

Here're the pics:

Comment

Working...
                              X