Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, coroplast materials are great for making durable prototype models.

However, they do have some shortcomings as well. Do check for material warpage and degradations from time to time. The warpages induced overtime can be quite drastic and although the airframe may still look good in one peice, it may have already passed its useful life.

I had an EPP glider which comes with coroplast tail group. After flying a while, they warp more and more after each session until I had to insert carbon strips to stiffen them up. After about 2 seasons, the coroplast started turning into crispy cookies.
    Last edited by joe yap; 11-02-2011, 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
      Yes, coroplast materials are great for making durable prototype models.

However, they do have some shortcomings as well. Do check for material warpage and degradations from time to time. The warpages induced overtime can be quite drastic and although the airframe may still look good in one peice, it may have already passed its useful life.

I had an EPP glider which comes with coroplast tail group. After flying a while, they warp more and more after each session until I had to insert carbon strips to stiffen them up. After about 2 seasons, the coroplast started turning into crispy cookies.
      Thanks for the advice. Normally I will check for such a sign. Once the aircraft show signs of degradation, I will decommission them. However, it takes quite a while. In my case after 2 years plus, the plane is still in flying condition.
      If you store the plane in cool dark place it will last longer.

Most of the time my CP aircraft was decommission due to a serious crash rather than a natural degradation.

Cheers

Comment

Mine got degarded under the constant exposure to direct sunlight, induced during the flying sessions.

Comment

Neverthless, it is good material for models intended to take punishments, meant for a few seasons for flying.

My old sifu, also likes to build slope glider from coroplast. His models are always done up very nicely. However, he also discovered the flaws in the materials and he would give it away after getting some good flights, while they still have some useful life in them

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
            Neverthless, it is good material for models intended to take punishments, meant for a few seasons for flying.

My old sifu, also likes to build slope glider from coroplast. His models are always done up very nicely. However, he also discovered the flaws in the materials and he would give it away after getting some good flights, while they still have some useful life in them
            Hi Yap, nice picture.
            Talking about crashes and punishment. ..When I decided to try a coroplast other then the mugi design, I had several crashes with the proto-type built.

If you miss the video which I had posted before here are some crashes before I succeeded.

Experimental scratch built prototype radio control aircraft maiden with numerous crashes. There were several problems associated with the proto type model.T...

There a few more crashes not recorded on video and some are quite severe .
            The plane survived most of the crashes. This plastic material is one tough cookie.
            I am happy if the coroplast plane can last me 2 years before nature decides it's fate.

Enjoy the video

Cheers

Comment

Hi, last week I decided to built something small like my first proto-type scratch built but with improvement to the wing. Its 24 inches wing span. In spite of the small wing area, this aircraft has a good lifts and quite an idea fun racer.

This aircraft is a re-built of my first scratch built 24 inches micro interceptor.History. My first scratch built and own experiment Radio control aircraft s...

There are 2 flight in this video, the first part flight uses a lighter LIPO and the second flight uses a better LIPO for faster flying speed.

The following day after the test flight I use a heavy lipo a 2200mAH 25C and it flew. Lots of lift thanks to the wing and fuselage airfoil design.

Cheers

Comment

Hi ,here are the picture of the scratch build coroplastic aircraft in various stage of completion. Aircraft is almost near completion.
                Now waiting for the glue to dry.

Cheers

Comment

I found this scratch build coroplast Radio control aircraft.

My scratch built SPAD 1/5th scale SE5Powered by a Royobi 31cc weed eater engine

and the pattern flying plane

Me flying my scratch built pattern plane based on the Insight from http://insightrc.com/

cheers

Comment

Wow I really like the sound of a nitro
                    "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

I managed to bought some left over 2mm coroplastic from a shop near sim lim a few years ago. Now can only get 3mm sheet from bookshop. Where can we get 3mm sheet?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        I managed to bought some left over 2mm coroplastic from a shop near sim lim a few years ago. Now can only get 3mm sheet from bookshop. Where can we get 3mm sheet?
                        3mm Thick C.P very common, Popular book shop and art friend (bras basah) carries 3mm only.
                        You can get very big sheet 3mm thick at art friend, but you need a truck or a lorry to transport them.

Meanwhile I use to get the 2mm thick C.P. at Yeo Trading in Rochor canal but the quality and size has gone south. Anyone knows where to get better quality 2mm thick c.p.?

Cheers

Comment

Thaks.
                          I made mistake in my previous post. I need 2mm CP not 3mm
                          I think I got the 2mm sheet from the same shop Yeo trading. They are not big enough.
                          Originally posted by Babylon5 View Post
                          3mm Thick C.P very common, Popular book shop and art friend (bras basah) carries 3mm only.
                          You can get very big sheet 3mm thick at art friend, but you need a truck or a lorry to transport them.

Meanwhile I use to get the 2mm thick C.P. at Yeo Trading in Rochor canal but the quality and size has gone south. Anyone knows where to get better quality 2mm thick c.p.?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            Thaks.
                            I made mistake in my previous post. I need 2mm CP not 3mm
                            I think I got the 2mm sheet from the same shop Yeo trading. They are not big enough.
                            If you want big or plan bigger aircraft built, you can join the two pcs of c.p. together. Wingspan up to 1 metre wingspan is a possibility. However for 2mm thick CP when the wing size gets too big, the wing start to warp more. My biggest wingspan for the 2mm thick cp is 0.84metre wingspan and already show sign of warpage. Fortunately the warpage is symmetrical so the plane flies great. The slight warpage incidentally act as a washout and reduce tip stall.

This size of plane that I built require 4cells at 40 over amperes to get good flying speed and vertical performance.

Cheers

Comment

Mugi modified with propeller guard

My friend got his hand nick while launching the mugi . Fortunately on low power and the cut was minor. This has got me to think how to modify the mugi and made it safer to launch.
                              The mugi has a complete face lift with fuselage.
                              The Spine and exo-skeleton is removed and in place a fuselage with some degree of aerodynamic lift.
                              RTF weigh with battery 1750mah 3S =464gm

Advantage:-
                              1) A keel added at the bottom of the fuse so as to minimised the propeller striking the hand or the ground during launching and landing respectively. Act as a propeller guard.
                              2) Keel improved certain degree to the vertical stability
                              3) Fuselage allow plenty of room for battery to get the correct C.G. location.
                              4) The extended nose and added fuselage makes the delta looks appealing more important increase lifting area of the entire aircraft.

Here is the picture .

Cheers

Comment

Evo mugi with difference maiden

Maiden successfully the mugi but it was quite handful to fly the plane.

watch the video at

EVO Mugi with a difference!1) Spine and exo skeleton replaced with fuselage coroplastic ply.2) Keel or prop guard added(prevent prop strike)3) Ease of motor ...

Tips: Use full screen to watch

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X