I wish someone had laid my RC options to me out like this before I made any purchases. I would have done things much differently had I known what I know now.

Take this advice for what it is worth and make the best choices for you. This is just my version of a simplified look at RC planes in 2013.

This is the plane that I suggest you start off with. It is only $89 for everything you need and it stays fun for a long time. The best part is that you don't need a big area to fly it in and it is very easy to transport: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900

Here is an example of me flying my Champ in the wind:

There are other trainers out there, but this is the least expensive and best way to learn IMHO due to its price and light weight. Less mass means less destructive damage. It does mean that it will get blown around in the wind more than a larger plane, but no planes should be flown in the wind by a beginner anyhow. I do suggest flying only over grass during your first few flights in a wide open area. The grass is far more forgiving than pavement is when you crash and if the area is wide open, there is no chance to crash into a tree if it gets away from you.

Here is the best aileron trainer to learn on IMHO. It is $99 and works with the controller that comes with the trainer plane. It also looks insanely cool in person during low passes. It looks very realistic in the air and is a lot faster than the trainer plane:

UM T-28:

Once you have mastered the aileron trainer, flying either one of the next two planes should be well within your grasp(you will need to upgrade your controller to handle the bigger one for sure due to the speed of the plane and limited range of the controller than comes with the trainer plane):

Parkzone F4F Wildcat:

UM Pole Cat:

***Note: The single most important thing to keep in mind is to never try to fly more plane than you are ready for. Crashing can be discouraging and expensive. You can also hurt people if you aren't careful.***

Once you have mastered those planes, you can fly just about anything like an EDF jet or a Mini Stryker:

I bought this jet as my second plane and it ended with a very smashed up jet and ego after I crashed on its very first flight! I was also lucky I didn't hurt anybody:

If you look closely, the front nose cone is all smashed to heck from its first flight lol

F-18 64mm EDF:

This is my newest plane and I love how fast and responsive it is:

UM Stryker:

I think this is enough information to get the conversation started in this blog. Feel free to ask any RC related questions you have. I love this hobby and am happy to help out you guys just starting out any way I can.

Happy flying!