Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Heli Encounters

Hi,

Please share some of your interesting heli encounters/incidents/experience in this thread.

Binding Lost

Let me start first.

Sometime ago, someone came to seek my help. He has a small heli using the Align MRS controller.

I has a damaged MRS, and replaced it with a new one.
    He tried to bind the new MRS (there is an internal FHSS receiver inside the MRS) without servos connected,
    just the battery power connected to the MRS.

He had a successful bind, but once he power off the MRS and power it up again the binding is gone.

He brought the MRS and Tx, and showed me. I went through the binding process a few times, the same thing happened.

Can you guess what happen?

Comment

Interesting encounters??? Has to be Thai Heli blowout 2015/16 and MANY MANY more to follow. If only Home Minister allows me to go China 3DX
      Heli-ADDICTION:
      Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
      JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Originally posted by nb8686 View Post
        Let me start first.

Sometime ago, someone came to seek my help. He has a small heli using the Align MRS controller.

I has a damaged MRS, and replaced it with a new one.
        He tried to bind the new MRS (there is an internal FHSS receiver inside the MRS) without servos connected,
        just the battery power connected to the MRS.

He had a successful bind, but once he power off the MRS and power it up again the binding is gone.

He brought the MRS and Tx, and showed me. I went through the binding process a few times, the same thing happened.

Can you guess what happen?
        I assumed he plugged the power connector correctly into the MRS as the MRS was powered up with LED turned on.
        When I run out of idea, I checked the MRS pins with a multimeter and accidentally found that the power connector was reversed.
        So that the ground of the battery actually went to the signal pin, not the ground pin on the MRS. Since the power pin is in
        the middle, it couldn't be wrong.

Once I plugged the power connector correctly into the MSR, the binding was okay.

One would expect if you plug in the power connector wrongly, the controller should not appear to work or may even get damaged.
        But in this case, the controller appeared to work okay except with the binding issue. Interesting.

Comment

Flying mode 2 in mind with a mode 1 transmitter

Flying mode 2 in mind with a mode 1 transmitter.

Someone asked me to teach him how to hover a heli. He said he just could not hover it. The heli crashed when he tried to lift it up.
          He bought the heli from another person together with the transmitter.

So, we went to the field. I took over the tx and wanted to do a hover to see if the heli was okay.
          Then I realized that the tx is mode 1. I told him I am mode 2, I can't fly with mode 1 tx.

He started to ask me what is mode. He has no idea what is tx mode.

I explained it to him. As we talked, I found out that he did not know about mode and was watching various Youtube videos
          on how to hover. The stick movement showed in these videos were using mode 2 as a reference. Somehow he overlooked the mode.
          So, he was trying to hover the heli with mode 2 in mind on a mode 1 tx. Of course the heli will crash even before lifted.

Comment

The only interesting things are the weird people I know, and they are flying with me every weekend!!!!
            Too many helis!

Comment

Originally posted by ah_liang View Post
              The only interesting things are the weird people I know, and they are flying with me every weekend!!!!
              Actually it is normal to be weird for heli flyers. LOL.

The people at the field where I fly say the heli flyers there are all not normal.
              So it is normal to be not normal there.

Comment

Originally posted by ah_liang View Post
                We love you too...BIT*H! Wahaha!
                Heli-ADDICTION:
                Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Anti-Rotation Bracket

Someone flew a large heli with some nice hard 3D manoeuvres.
                  When the heli landed, the ball pin was outside the anti-rotation bracket.
                  There is only one person can fly with the pin outside. Please don't try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Heli1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	981373

(Heli in the picture is not the actual one)

Comment

Throttle Curve

One uncle has been flying his heli with a linear throttle all along.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TH-Curve.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	981380

One day, someone corrected it, and uncle has problem flying the heli after the correction.

Comment

How many RC heli flyers in SG

Someone called and asked if I knew the number of RC heli flyers in SG.
                      I replied I did not know. I asked him why he wanted to know.
                      He said he planned to come into this hobby but worry that he may not be able to get spare parts
                      as he heard heli flyers in SG is on the decline.

Comment

Someone was challenged by his friend to build and fly a Trex heli without referring to any documentation.
                        He is a real heli pilot but never build or fly any RC heli before.

Do you think this is possible ?

Comment

No not possible, perspective & mode control are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsiow View Post
                            No not possible, perspective & mode control are different.
                            Yes, you are right. Not possible. He did try.

Comment

Fish Head

Not too long ago, a conversation with a Hokkien uncle.

Uncle: I am going to buy a new fish head (in Hokkien).
                              Me: What fish head are you talking about? Curry fish head or what?
                              Uncle: No, no, I want to buy a fish head for my heli.
                              Me: What has fish head got to do with heli?
                              Uncle: You don't know what is a fish head?
                              Me: Think and think (in my head)....hmm....ah..oh...you mean canopy?
                              Uncle: Yes, yes, yes....
                              Me:

Comment

Working...
                              X