X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mave View Post
    Hi Joe,

May I ask you a couple of questions?
    1. What is the material you put in the bag to soak away the excess epoxy?
    2. What do you use for the release agent?
    3. The coupling you fit to the vacuum bag, what do you call this or where can we get this?
    Thanks in advance
    Hi Charles,

I tape a layer of nylon peel ply over the LE and wing tip to absorb the resinflux. For release agent, I used 4 thin coats of Turtlewax. The layup is wrapped with paper kitchen towel which acts as breather. I used vacuum sniffer, which is a venturi type device which turns compressed air into vacuum.

Comment

Hi Joe,
      I found one vacuum sniffer on eBay.
      As for the nylon ply, did you get it locally or oversea?
      By the way, is there any steps to observe when we are vacuuming so that we do wrinkle up the carbon fiber or fiber glass?
      I tried simple thing like vacuum bag my blanket, it all wrinkle up ...

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
      Hi Charles,

I tape a layer of nylon peel ply over the LE and wing tip to absorb the resinflux. For release agent, I used 4 thin coats of Turtlewax. The layup is wrapped with paper kitchen towel which acts as breather. I used vacuum sniffer, which is a venturi type device which turns compressed air into vacuum.

Comment

I use the scrap pieces of peel ply from school, but I think Wee Tee Tong sells it.
        The carbon and glass fabric layers are laid with resin on the 0.3mm to 0.5mm thick PVC sheets, which supports them. The foam core will be placed within the PVC sheets where the fabric will be transferred to the foam core surfaces after curing. The PVC sheets will prevent the fabric from wrinkling. Note that the fabrics are laid onto the PVC sheet first, not directly on the foam core.

Comment

So, as the air is being vacuum out, the resin on the fabric will be squeeze by the pvc sheet and the foam core causing the excess to come out from both end. Is this correct?
          I use the scrap pieces of peel ply from school, but I think Wee Tee Tong sells it.
          The carbon and glass fabric layers are laid with resin on the 0.3mm to 0.5mm thick PVC sheets, which supports them. The foam core will be placed within the PVC sheets where the fabric will be transferred to the foam core surfaces after curing. The PVC sheets will prevent the fabric from wrinkling. Note that the fabrics are laid onto the PVC sheet first, not directly on the foam core.

Comment

Exactly. The PVC sheets acts like the mould. But the shape is form by the wing core and the foam beds.

Comment

The elevons are cut free. I only need about 22mm throws total on each wing.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	11047906_10153865269759530_3935155909943951196_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	981123Click image for larger version

Name:	12540635_10153865269684530_1217405005959351410_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	981124

Comment

very nice Joe, top notch as usual..Whats the weight of Carbon Cloth you are using and what are you using for the hinge material?

Shane
                Shane

Comment

Hi Shane,

Not sure sure about the weight of the carbon fabric but it's 1K CF fabric. I use peel ply for hinges.

Comment

Hi Shane,

Not sure sure about the weight of the carbon fabric but it's 1K CF fabric. I use peel ply for hinges.
                    Thanks for the info. I havent flown for a few years and I have 3 sets of foam cut for wings so i thought I'd better do something... 2 Supra and 1 MH32 set. Let me know if you want to have a Supra set... I need to clear the room before my daughter graduates and returns home. Is that set up in your home or your work place? It looks very spacious and well equipped.

Shane
                    Shane

Comment

Thanks Shane. I try to find time to finish this one first.

Comment

For the past few weeks, I have laid several layers of glasscloth over the foam fuselage and canopy plug until they built up certain thickness to achieve the required strength. The foams are removed mechanically before cleaning up the remnants with solvent (if you do not want to end up with stinky and messy blueberry jam). The next item on the menu is to fabricate some sort of canopy seat in the fuselage cutout, which I moulded it out from the fibreglass canopy itself.
                        Attached Files

Comment

oh, the foam is only meant to be a support. I was wondering why you put the carbon strips on the outside of the form.
                          By the way, you use a big pc of cloth to cover the whole fuselage or several smaller pcs to make up the length?

Comment

Originally posted by mave View Post
                            oh, the foam is only meant to be a support. I was wondering why you put the carbon strips on the outside of the form.
                            By the way, you use a big pc of cloth to cover the whole fuselage or several smaller pcs to make up the length?
                            I used several smaller pieces of fabric.
                            Last edited by joe yap; 21-01-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Hi Joe, do you mind explaining how do you remove the foam "mechanically" (By digging them out?) What solvent did you use to remove the remnants? Thanks.

Comment

Anything that I can get hold off to cut and dig the foam out; long nose pliers, screwdrivers, art knife, Dremel grinder. Any strong solvents like thinner (toluene) or acetone will dissolve foam.

Comment

Working...
                                X