Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tamiya 4WD 19mm Rollers

Hi folks,

Just want to share a recent work for someone playing with the Tamiya 4WD rollers. Interesting project for me; my first attempt at machining something so small... fun but a little nerve-racking after breaking a 1mm carbide endmill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1005143

Regards,
    Wongster

Very nice!
    What cnc software do you use to do the actual routing and cutting?
    Which Sherline equipment did you use to cut those wheels?

Originally posted by Wongster View Post
    Hi folks,

Just want to share a recent work for someone playing with the Tamiya 4WD rollers. Interesting project for me; my first attempt at machining something so small... fun but a little nerve-racking after breaking a 1mm carbide endmill.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]140026[/ATTACH]

Regards,
    Wongster
    www.wongstersproduction.com

Comment

I'm using Mach 3 to drive the A2Z/Sherline mill. Frankly, I don't know what to call the mill anymore. It started as a Sherline CNC ready mill (think its 5410). First it was upgraded with longer Z and X from Sherline. Then I added the longer A2Z Y base. A while later, I upgraded all the lead screw to the Kirks motion precision leadscrews. The A2Z column was the last I added. Pretty solid setup, though can't do what my Wabeco can do. Tested the Wabeco to mill 10mm in one pass on aluminium.

Comment

Mach3 will be driving your sherline mill. What about the software that translate all the codes so that your mach 3 can drive the mill? What software are you using?(the cnc software)

10mm in one pass is solid! With sherline, I will take a long time to get down to 3mm.

Comment

You're referring to the cam software. I'm using Bobcad cam.

Comment

Originally posted by mave View Post
            10mm in one pass is solid! With sherline, I will take a long time to get down to 3mm.
            Once you upgrade to A2Z stuff for your Sherline, you can take 1mm per pass in aluminium for bigger end mills

Comment

Nice work

How much did you spend on your webeco with all shipping cost tgt? Tooling too, to me it's far from my reach

Comment

Originally posted by LeonardG View Post
                How much did you spend on your webeco with all shipping cost tgt? Tooling too, to me it's far from my reach
                Around $4,500 including airfreight. Bare unit without any tooling.

Comment

I had built one CNC mill from a manual milling machine before, but the accuracy and chattering really bad, so I'm on a new project right now, compact but ridgid, and with some really accurate components, let's see

Comment

Which mill did you use as the base for your conversion?

Comment

It was PX32, a mill much bigger than G0704, with 2nd hand grounded ball screws from taobao, single phase motor to vfd/3phase upgrade, oriental 5 phase stepper motors

Are you running Mach3 or emc2? I really want to switch to emc due to its realtime, and I'm gong to use Mitsubishi AC servo for X and Y this round, now already got 2 pcs C3 0 backlash ball screws on hand for X and Y, I have some difficulties in Z, as I'm using THK KR65 as Z, and customized head, but not yet found any Machining place with good price yet, not like last time I had a working mill, all my components are in, just need time, and will see if it can outperform your mighty webeco;)

Comment

Did you take note of what caused the chattering?

My Wabeco is just a manual mill. I was just happy when I got it that the mill was trammed to within specs.

Using Mach 3. A friend tried EMC2. Said too many things to fiddle with to get it working properly. I rather use the time to learn how to fiddle with it on other stuff since I'm not familiar with it.

I'm off the workshop for quite a few months. Several priorities took over shop time. But if you want to explore, you can forward me your drawings. We can do it as a project.

Comment

The major cause to the chattering was the cast iron column, which looks pretty ridgid, but it deflects when doing some mild doc, or woc, not even mention heavy ones, I tried to slow jog the arbor to vise, to see how much it deflects, a lot, I did not even bother to measure, when cutting steel or alu I believe it definitely will encounter some more backward force than this, so my current project will use a heavy duty KR65 as the column, thick tool grade steel, by specs you will not see noticeable deflects, you can do a gentle test too with your wabeco too, btw Are you looking into convert your mill to CNC?
                          I have some drawing for my project, but I think it's too complicated to do, so I have changed my plan, to assemble those components with the easiest way with acceptable ridgidity, then use it to fab the ultimate parts, I would be appreciate if I can get some help from you haha, I can help you out if you look into your wabeco CNC conversion too

Comment

The main cause is column deflection, I tested it by jog slowly the chuck towards the vise on the table, a lot, I did not even bother to measure, you can do a gentle test too to your wabeco, it will not change your tramming if do it carefully, the reason why I want emc2 is I may want to add scales output to really close the loop, I still studying how, maybe as improvement project
                            Would really appreciate if you can help me on my current project, I have some drawing but it's too complicated, so plan change, I will assemble my mill with some simple ways with acceptable ridgidity, then make the ultimate parts for very ridgid Z, even with simple ways I still need your help haha, where do you stay? I'm at Bukit Batok

Comment

I thought all I typed was missing

Comment

Working...
                              X