Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the pix on alibaba. Looks very much like a G0704. What you described as upgrades sound powerful and you are definitely much more knowledgeable than I am on this. I did some test when I got my Wabeco. I can't remember exactly the DOC I tested but I think I went beyond 5mm with a 10mm endmill. I went easy on the spindle speed and adjust the feed as I go along. No problem there. If you still have your PX32, why not check through all your "joints" to make sure nothing is loose and do some test cuts on some 6 series alu. I believe there are folks out there using the same mill successfully; just don't push the mill beyond what it can do. What's the max RPM now after the upgrade?

I did document my test cut on the Sherline/A2ZCNC mill. The max I went was 1mm doc with a 10mm endmill at 180mm/min with spindle at 2000 rpm (you can call me a chicken... too scared to push it too fast). I know I can go faster and deeper but I didn't want to risk it. If you have seen the monster mill, you would know that the column is just a skinny slab of alu - as long as I work within the limits of the machine, I don't have to worry about rigidity issues. You should have seen how the column spin off to the side when this machine has a 8-directions column from Sherline.

At this moment, I don't have any intention to convert the Wabeco. Love the feeling of turning the handwheels. I'll leave the CNC part to the Sherline/A2ZCNC mill. I may, at one point in time, attached a higher speed spindle to the A2Z mill.

I stay in Punggol. We can start off by chatting on an app called Telegram. This app allows sending of PDF and other file format straight from notebook/desktop/smart phones. No need to take pix to send via whatsapp. PM me when you're ready.

Comment

Unfortunately I have sold my mill last year due to something, the weak point was the column itself, trust me, I have tighten all m12 screws to the extreme torque all my hands can, but the column itself twisted tiny bit, even with this tiny bit after transfer to the column it becomes a lot, like 2-3mm.
      The max rpm can go is 3000 at 100hz, with a 2 pole alu casing induction motor, so less torque than 4 poles which will max at 1500rpm, I opt the first, it can stretch to 3600, but the spindle bearing becomes very hot after 5mins, I suggest to go for a ABB 1.1kw 2 pole motor if you want more rpm, why ABB is bcos its truly powerful not like some others not to name them haha, or ultimate to use AC servo, which i got one at home now for my current project, more torque than induction motor even at start, it's a 1.5kw delta design(now called tecknic)ac servo with drive, rpm max at 4000 if connect in parallel, one thing is it's only pulse/dir, so I have to get a pulse generator for desired rpm, no I will not use it for ridgid tapping haha, POWER!!!!!
      I did a video before when I just converted it, on YouTube, I did a 6mm doc with 8mm end mill on steel, I think it's my old washing machine drum shaft, I dunno why but I still want more ridgidity.

Comment

This is X axis ball screw for my current project, upload successful?

Comment

Wow, I checked your website, just realized you have a impressive workshop, I think lotsa guy will be jealous especially in Singapore, is it in your house? I intend to put my stuff in the store room which is really small, my mill will be the focus, maybe will make a small lathe;) I can see your passion about lathe, that proxxon is not cheap bro, ppl has hobby about cameras and lens, we have about machining, haha

Comment

Originally posted by LeonardG View Post
            ...I did a 6mm doc with 8mm end mill on steel, I think it's my old washing machine drum shaft, I dunno why but I still want more ridgidity.
            6mm doc on steel?! Isn't that too much for our smallish machines?

Comment

Originally posted by Wongster View Post
              6mm doc on steel?! Isn't that too much for our smallish machines?
              Actually 6mm is only at the mid of the bar, the beginning and end of the cut is very light, as the path going thru like a bump, plus the feed was only 40-50mm/min

Comment

I believe you have done some research on feeds and speed for different materials you're working with and the cutting conditions. I follow the general guidelines from this article on Madmodder: http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4678.0.

My caveat: I'm chicken. So I'll do multiple passes to get the the desire depth I need. If I'm using my A2Z, I'll go at 0.5mm doc and start with around 100-150mm/min. If I hear chatter, I'll either increase my feed or reduce speed.

From playing on the lathe, I understand that I have to reduce the speed to about 600rpm when turning steel and adjust my depth per pass till I get my desired result. I'll go faster if the stock has smaller diameter.

Lots of trial and error as I'm not technically trained.

Comment

I learnt the doc and feed in a hard/ex$ way too, ruined a lot endmill including some carbide ones, especially alu, I followed the surface speed calculators available online, still the same, bcos the endmill always gum up with melted alu, I need some cooling method in place next time, actually after lessons 0.5mm doc is what I do for most of my milling, alu or steel, rpm just follow the calculator, but sometimes lazy, use 1500 for steel, 2800 for alu, then ok without coolant or comp air, and cam de is also very important, it affect the surface finishing, I'm a software guy, can't call myself a mechanist, I learn from YouTube and forum most, but I found some info also misleading sometimes

Comment

Me too, learning from YouTube and forums. I don't usually have gumming issue as I don't push my mill hard. Most calculators are meant for bigger machines, as told to me by some experience machinists. Need to cut back on the numbers shown. My CAM will tell me to go at 1000+ mm/min... I would cut it down by 1/3... I chicken....

Comment

Not chicken Wongster, I think those CAM are for production, to save time, hobbyists like us can wait as long as finished part is usable, I reduce the feed to even less than half sometimes if I want surface finishing to be better, my CAM can go 11000mm/min once I saw, that's faster than me running

Comment

I once considered buying one 2nd hand maho, which is fast and super ridgid, thinking about support its weight by steel extrusions into the hdb wall, and read aquarium forum about heavy tanks weighing like 2.5tons in a hdb flat, stuff like that, but in the end I realized what's it for? Hahahaha, So no need to be hurry in our case, and I'm lucky I did not carry out the plan, ppl who sleeping downstairs under the maho

Comment

Working...
                        X