Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here...

Dear all,

i am a newbie here and am interested in taking up helicopter flying as a hobby. However, i realise that there are also other types of RC flying stuffs such as a drone and a plane. May I know if the feeling of flying a quad is the same as a helicopter?

However, not planning to do crazy helicopter flying. Just normal fly around.

So far have zoomed in on 3 brands that I am interested, one is an Align, the other is Mikado, and lastly the Goblin. However, Goblin seems to be too high end and expensive whereas I don't really like the plastic frame for the Mikado.

Any bros out there can advise what size heli I should get? Also, where else can I fly nowadays. I've been to CD field but dont really like the environment there.

My budget now is $1700.

Go for Align as there are parts available locally and u will need it as you are beginning to fly. Get a simulator to fly too to learn fast. Smaller heli like 450 size or even 450L to begin with as u can learn to hover in small available space like basketball court or multistorey car park.

Comment

okay. would it be advisable to go for a 500 size? or even a 550 size? I've been practising simulator but just cant seem to hover it in the sim...will keep trying.

Comment

by the way, vintcs, where do you fly?

Comment

U would eventually move on to bigger heli. That's the poison of this hobby. Bigger heli more stable but need more space to fly plus bigger lipo battery equal more expensive and more $$ for repair.

Comment

alright! ill ask more stuffs if i have questions. Thanks so much for helping! really appreciate it!

Comment

You have a nice budget but choose wisely. A decent transmitter, charger + PSU will set up back a couple of hundreds. Consider second hand bcos u will crash.
              Too many helis!

Comment

+1 to what Vincent and Ah Liang said. remember that the cost of the heli also extends to the cost of ownership and accessories (batteries are hidden cost). I would also recommend a 450 (some makers call it 360) class. Good size but not to the point that it becomes terrifying, and parts are relatively really quite inexpensive. To answer your question, though a heli and quad have similar controls, the feeling is quite different as a quad will auto stabilise itself but a heli would be like on manual stabilisation, unless you get certain fbl gyros like the Spirit or Helicommand HC3SX which have built in failsafe.
                I'd recommend that you start with a decent 360 class (which will set you back about 800-900 all in) and save the rest of the money for spares for when the inevitable crash happens. When you get better, the bigger helis become more shiok and less of a money sink.
                [:]=-[Hangar]-=[:]
                Trex 450L Dominator
                Goblin 500
                Spektrum DX9

"Airplanes fly while helicopters simply beat the air into submission."
                -RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Read these 2 recent threads here...
                  They both have the same queries as you now..

I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Originally posted by Redtwilight View Post
                    +1 to what Vincent and Ah Liang said. remember that the cost of the heli also extends to the cost of ownership and accessories (batteries are hidden cost). I would also recommend a 450 (some makers call it 360) class. Good size but not to the point that it becomes terrifying, and parts are relatively really quite inexpensive. To answer your question, though a heli and quad have similar controls, the feeling is quite different as a quad will auto stabilise itself but a heli would be like on manual stabilisation, unless you get certain fbl gyros like the Spirit or Helicommand HC3SX which have built in failsafe.
                    I'd recommend that you start with a decent 360 class (which will set you back about 800-900 all in) and save the rest of the money for spares for when the inevitable crash happens. When you get better, the bigger helis become more shiok and less of a money sink.
                    +1.

if u r unsure abt yr duration into rc, buy sumtin cheap and small from LHS and reassess your interest in a few months. "Mini-me" helis wont exactly teach you how to fly but it will affirm your interest in RC. Once u r very sure abt your directions into Helis, then start the spree. Word of caution though: this is a slippery slope...you will think of buying helis almost everyday...ask US how we know...right, Liang?
                    Heli-ADDICTION:
                    Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                    JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

$1700 is a very reasonable budget to start this hobby.
                      You can check out some combo deals in some stores and start from there.
                      These combos basically eliminates most of your compatibility concerns and priced slightly cheap than if you were to buy separately.
                      I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Join Them on weekend funflies....these guys will sure be your safety nets to prevent you from falling off the cliff...... :P

Comment

Originally posted by ron217 View Post
                          Dear all,

i am a newbie here and am interested in taking up helicopter flying as a hobby. However, i realise that there are also other types of RC flying stuffs such as a drone and a plane. May I know if the feeling of flying a quad is the same as a helicopter?

However, not planning to do crazy helicopter flying. Just normal fly around.

So far have zoomed in on 3 brands that I am interested, one is an Align, the other is Mikado, and lastly the Goblin. However, Goblin seems to be too high end and expensive whereas I don't really like the plastic frame for the Mikado.

Any bros out there can advise what size heli I should get? Also, where else can I fly nowadays. I've been to CD field but dont really like the environment there.

My budget now is $1700.
                          Bro,

welcome to the RC world.
                          i also recently started to fly heli. i bought Align Trex 550L. Easy build.
                          hover couple of time. seem stable.

u can join US tmr. have a look at Ah Liang , feudallordcult heli.
                          See see and have a feel

Comment

Okay no problem! I'm currently looking at align 550. Seems like a good size. Yes probably will scour the 2nd hand market! Transmitter wise I have an 8J. So the $1700 does not include transmitter. But I guess batteries and charger will be taking up some of my budget haha

Comment

Btw, where do you guys fly now?

Comment

Working...
                              X