Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drone report in parliament

The selective reporting by CNA casts a bad light on all of us who flies multirotors.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecOps View Post
      The selective reporting by CNA casts a bad light on all of us who flies multirotors.
      The incidents highlighted appear to be extremely reckless people who have not considered potential failure modes when conducting high risk operations. Quite possibly these people have just bought a model off the shelf and have thought to just capture video footage with no regard for the platform limitations or the mode of operations.

Perhaps we should consider some ground-up regulation and training, such as with the Australian MAAA, the UK's BMFA, or the US's AMA. Specifically, this will cover safe operation for multiple classes of models, specifically, it would mean that there is a clear differentiator between "safe operations by safe operators" and "reckless operations" (aka "it's them, not us being unsafe"). This gives the lawmakers a nice way of avoiding a complete blanket ban on all activities, and also encourages safe activities.

I personally lean towards a peer mentoring and training model, and a clear set of guidelines, possibly derived from those organization's recommendations. Some of them do make a significant amount of sense, such as mass limits and minimum safe distances, and do not place an onerous burden on those who already run safe and sane model operations.

Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by timgoh0 View Post
        Perhaps we should consider some ground-up regulation and training, such as with the Australian MAAA, the UK's BMFA, or the US's AMA. Specifically, this will cover safe operation for multiple classes of models, specifically, it would mean that there is a clear differentiator between "safe operations by safe operators" and "reckless operations" (aka "it's them, not us being unsafe"). This gives the lawmakers a nice way of avoiding a complete blanket ban on all activities, and also encourages safe activities.
        I am all for it. in fact I would go further and suggest some form of accreditation or licensing for which a test is to be taken to ensure that you are fully aware of all regulations and restrictions. I.e some form of "highway code" test for drone operators.

In return, I hope that there is either a relaxed set of rules for "license" holders or at least an accelerated approval process for pemits.

Comment

Working...
        X