Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been watching this thread for some time--glad you finally take off. Congrats on this. Never mind the broken skids--this is just the first of many types of repairs in the journey.

I suppose your helicopter will always drift even if you have an absolutely perfect set up mechanically and electronically. Even any slight wind will cause it to drift, not to mention slight imperfections in the setup. And we are never absolutely perfect here too.

So your fingers have to be constantly on the stick and making very small adjustments to hover steadily. When you are good at it, you will instinctively make these small adjustment.

And on lift off from the ground, you will also find the helicopter drifting immediately to the left (assuming tail in position) more often than not. So usually, you will give the aileron a small right as you lift off the ground.

Same with throttle--no sudden movements or you will have a few more broken skids and other broken parts too.

Practising more on the simulator will help you to get to this without too many broken things. Keep at it.

Originally posted by ATR76ers View Post
    Hi Guys....

Finally managed to lift my heli off the ground...although not for long ...but at least it lifted off the ground....REALLY was heart stomping...

Didn't know that if will still drif slightly even thought I have not touch the alieron...and when I started adjusting...it started drifting accordingly....so much so that I kind of chicken out and reduce the throttle quite fast (guess there is still much to learn on the fine adjustments of the sticks)....Resulting in cracking the landing skit.....lol....Guess I am still not familiar with how sensitive the heli will respond to the transmiter....

To me it was a real achievment in overcoming the initial fear (although the fear is still there during my 2nd take off, but somehow, it wasn't as bad as I had previously experience) .....guess I will have to start practising more on both the simulator as well as the heli....

Any tips on how to overcome the intial take off drifting (as well as the kancheong hard landing....lol) would be greatly appreciated...

Comment

The heli will always drift from the tail as it counters the torque from the main. This is perfectly normal.
      Too many helis!

Comment

Originally posted by zniter81 View Post
        Bro,

i also experience chicken out feeling the week before, when i try to maiden my 550L. when i throttle up, and hover (i think only 1mm off the ground) i immediately cut all power.
        then last week, i installed training kit. and managed to hover 1m off the ground!
        perhaps u can try install training kit. it works for me!
        yes...previously i installed training kit and tried hovering in the field nearby...big mistaken...skit caught some grasses and flip the heli....causing the tail boom to bend and main blade to crack....super low moral....

so now...with training kit....me learning on top floor of multi story carpark....

hopefully with more simulator training it will boost my confidence....

tks for all the encouragement

Comment

Originally posted by ngkohwee View Post
          I have been watching this thread for some time--glad you finally take off. Congrats on this. Never mind the broken skids--this is just the first of many types of repairs in the journey.

I suppose your helicopter will always drift even if you have an absolutely perfect set up mechanically and electronically. Even any slight wind will cause it to drift, not to mention slight imperfections in the setup. And we are never absolutely perfect here too.

So your fingers have to be constantly on the stick and making very small adjustments to hover steadily. When you are good at it, you will instinctively make these small adjustment.

And on lift off from the ground, you will also find the helicopter drifting immediately to the left (assuming tail in position) more often than not. So usually, you will give the aileron a small right as you lift off the ground.

Same with throttle--no sudden movements or you will have a few more broken skids and other broken parts too.

Practising more on the simulator will help you to get to this without too many broken things. Keep at it.
          thanks for all the encouragement, support and advices...

like to check with you...when you mentioned about slight movements in the aileron...how do you guys do it? Small taps of fingers constantly on sticks but having small movements on the sticks?

I have been using the tapping method on simulator...but not sure if this is the right method or not....

Comment

yes...previously i installed training kit and tried hovering in the field nearby...big mistaken...skit caught some grasses and flip the heli....causing the tail boom to bend and main blade to crack....super low moral....

so now...with training kit....me learning on top floor of multi story carpark....

Which heli u flying?

Comment

thanks for all the encouragement, support and advices...

like to check with you...when you mentioned about slight movements in the aileron...how do you guys do it? Small taps of fingers constantly on sticks but having small movements on the sticks?

I have been using the tapping method on simulator...but not sure if this is the right method or not....
              I sort of do the tapping method with my fingers always on the stick, so I can feel if I'm getting the elevator or aileron. After a while it'll get smoother and start to blend into the constant small movements in all directions.

+100. Training skids should only be used over flat ground (carpark or basketball court) . While they do catch the heli and let it land skids first, as bro ATR76 said, it can also easily hook onto gras and cause a tipover unless you very quickly counter in the other direction. Ever so rarely, the vibrations may affect the gyro and cause unpredictable response. If you see the heli start to shake, immediately land and adjust the balls in or out.
              [:]=-[Hangar]-=[:]
              Trex 450L Dominator
              Goblin 500
              Spektrum DX9

"Airplanes fly while helicopters simply beat the air into submission."
              -RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I dont wish to give any comments here... But im pretty glad that we now see new heli flyers here who had didnt gave up !

Can only say one thing, its deja vu! akin to what i had been through... The built, mistakes, giving up, the heart poundings, shaking hands, tunnel visions, and satisfaction.

By now you probably cant sleep, keep thinking of that achievement and how you wished someone had witness what you did, before you crash again.. Haha!
                I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Originally posted by blueangel View Post
                  I dont wish to give any comments here... But im pretty glad that we now see new heli flyers here who had didnt gave up !

Can only say one thing, its deja vu! akin to what i had been through... The built, mistakes, giving up, the heart poundings, shaking hands, tunnel visions, and satisfaction.

By now you probably cant sleep, keep thinking of that achievement and how you wished someone had witness what you did, before you crash again.. Haha!
                  Hi Guys....

Thanks for all the encouragement...Had it not been for all the feedbacks and encouragements, I would also have given up after the first crash.

Although I have not hover as high/ as long as I would hope for, but at least I know that I have made it lift off for a couple of seconds without any serious crash (other than the landing skit).

So am not back to the simulator to practise again.

Appreciate if anyone can give some tips/ advise on the phoenix simulator V5 setting for newbies? I find that the heli in the simulator is very reactive to my transmitter...(move a lot at the slightly movement of the TX sticks)....

All feedbacks will be greatly appreciated by this newbie...

Comment

Simulators... just practice on the difficult helis.. those easy to fly ones you do that after the practice.
                    Just go ahead learn on the harder ones seriously for couple minutes.
                    Once done, I anyhow whack the easy flying ones just for fun.
                    Just to keep the simulation alive. Else I may get bored.
                    I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Hi Guys....

Thanks for all the encouragement...Had it not been for all the feedbacks and encouragements, I would also have given up after the first crash.

Although I have not hover as high/ as long as I would hope for, but at least I know that I have made it lift off for a couple of seconds without any serious crash (other than the landing skit).

So am not back to the simulator to practise again.

Appreciate if anyone can give some tips/ advise on the phoenix simulator V5 setting for newbies? I find that the heli in the simulator is very reactive to my transmitter...(move a lot at the slightly movement of the TX sticks)....

All feedbacks will be greatly appreciated by this newbie...
                      Are you using the same profile for your flying as the simulator? You can create a different one and increase expo to make the feel softer. Alternatively, you can go to the model select window and decrease the agility. There should be a little dial looking thing with a percentage. Some helis like the trex 700 3G have "Sports flying" and beginner variants too that are less responsive.
                      [:]=-[Hangar]-=[:]
                      Trex 450L Dominator
                      Goblin 500
                      Spektrum DX9

"Airplanes fly while helicopters simply beat the air into submission."
                      -RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi Guys,

Is it essential for the heli to hover to a certain height before it becomes more stable? I feel that it is drifting quite a bit even though I am practising in the upper deck of carpark.

So far I have only tried hovering ard knee height (too chicken to hover any higher without any sifu ard to guide me).

So my question is, will the heli become more stable as I hover higher than what I have tried so far? All feedbacks are welcome

Comment

Hi Guys,

Is it essential for the heli to hover to a certain height before it becomes more stable? I feel that it is drifting quite a bit even though I am practising in the upper deck of carpark.

So far I have only tried hovering ard knee height (too chicken to hover any higher without any sifu ard to guide me).

So my question is, will the heli become more stable as I hover higher than what I have tried so far? All feedbacks are welcome
                          I hover just about shoulder level height.

Comment

Picture speaks a thousand words.

Hi Guys,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig_2-38B.gif
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	980536
                            Heli-ADDICTION:
                            Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                            JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Bro ATR, by right it should be more stable beyond certain height. By left, many factors may affect stability.
                              Heli-ADDICTION:
                              Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                              JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Hi Bro...Thanks for helping me recap my engineering studies on vortex....lol

I also have guessed as much that the higher it goes, the more stable it should be.

Any estimate on how high for a newbie to learn to hover (knee or wist level) ? (Too chicken to go higher than what I have due to the limitied carpark height as well as no sifu ard to guide)

Comment

Working...
                                X