Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dsmx signal loss/interference?

Any bros on dsmx encountered signal loss/inteference on dsmx before? I checked various forums it seemed that the flaw is in dsm/2 but had been resolved in dsmx.

I was in CD field 30 feet up and suddenly control is lost in a split second while it spirals n plummets downwards. Thankfully the mushy ground cushioned the impact and I escaped with only a bent motor mount. There were many drones flying nearby.

Appreciate inputs from fellow spectrum users cheers and have a good week ahead!

I use a Spektrum DX18 and a DX9, no problems to date. I think the issue with DSM2 was that the protocol was not hopping but fixed two frequencies. It would only hop when interference was found in one of the frequencies (DSM was completely fixed, i.e. it would select two "clean" frequencies at start up and remain there) But for DSM2 sometimes it hopped too late (hence the "interference" or loss of control) DSMX is a proper frequency hopping spread spectrum system.

What radio are you using? DX9?

Comment

Dsm2 took my skysurfer but methinks the orange Rx was faulty. Last week, I had a very close call when my gob started to develop a mind of its own. Landed safely n found that wires of satellite a bit loose. Rectified it and flies great now.
      Heli-ADDICTION:
      Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
      JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

I'm on the dx8 n ar6210. Some of my planes are on orx dsmx. But the quality is doubtful.

Comment

I will NEVER use orange rx on any of my helis. I'm not so concerned abt planes.
          Heli-ADDICTION:
          Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
          JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

The only plane I lost (literally - flew away to the ocean, spun down to the sea about 300-400 meters from where I was....) sported a FrSky receiver (not Spektrum but FASST) Needless to say that I replaced it with a Futaba 617 FASST. Maybe will use FrSky in foamies (self made type!) but will avoid them as much as I can. Saved maybe 40-50 SGD (comparing Frksy with Futaba 617) but lost the complete Sebart Stev30 worth 8 times that....

Comment

Using DX18 with 2 sats on all my helis, no issue.
              Too many helis!

Comment

Originally posted by Mariano View Post
                The only plane I lost (literally - flew away to the ocean, spun down to the sea about 300-400 meters from where I was....) sported a FrSky receiver (not Spektrum but FASST) Needless to say that I replaced it with a Futaba 617 FASST. Maybe will use FrSky in foamies (self made type!) but will avoid them as much as I can. Saved maybe 40-50 SGD (comparing Frksy with Futaba 617) but lost the complete Sebart Stev30 worth 8 times that....

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                  I will NEVER use orange rx on any of my helis. I'm not so concerned abt planes.
                  Interesting approach. My experience is that the orangerx kit tends to have early infant mortality, in that they may fail very early due to poor soldering on some batches. But once they have survived past the 5 hour mark, they're quite robust. This was with a small sample of 14 R800x, and 22 R615x, with 1 failed of each at the 30 minute mark under vibration. YMMV.

The LemonRx DSMX stuff is also similarly robust, cheaper, and has a even lower infant mortality rate. On my 12th unit now, and zero issues, except for an inadvertent channel reversal that was disguised due to the failsafe mode being engaged. Well-written preflight checklists are important!

Most of the "loss-of-link" failure modes I've observed in test conditions involve a brownout. If your BEC or rx power supply isn't going to maintain the required voltage during operation of all your controls, you have a problem. The other situation I've observed involves loose cable harnesses due to vibration, and incorrect cable lacing and retention techniques. I've not seen an actual RF loss on either of the DSMX rx, or the FrSky ACCST receivers, except for when antenna damage has occurred, or I have added deliberate attenuation on the transmitter. Both these conditions can be caught by performing the manufacturer-recommended range test at reduced power, which should be a pre-flight checklist item anyway.

Comment

Oh, there's another loss-of-link scenario I've seen with DSMX: turns out that a receiver designed for 2.4GHz will not tolerate being flown into a 90V/m 2.4GHz CW transmitter's beampath. Thankfully, this was during static tests on a stand. The damage turns out to be irreversible, due to the damage to the receiver front-end.

However, this is generally not a concern unless you regularly fly near 100W 2.4GHz transmitters with very directed antennas.

Comment

DSM2 I lost signal usually 200m out in the open with only Sat connected
                      DSMX I lost signal even within 30m behind 2 concrete wall at MSCP with only sat connected
                      DX9. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X