Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

500 or 550 size heli is more popular today ?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me like the red red motor...very fierce. Pack in a high c lipo n make it scream for mercy!
    Heli-ADDICTION:
    Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
    JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
      Me like the red red motor...very fierce. Pack in a high c lipo n make it scream for mercy!
      Ohhhh yesss the Dominator motor is
      [:]=-[Hangar]-=[:]
      Trex 450L Dominator
      Goblin 500
      Spektrum DX9

"Airplanes fly while helicopters simply beat the air into submission."
      -RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Here I met a problem while installing this tail piece - the part that held the boom to frame.
        The instruction is a little out of steps ahead and I am suppose to install this block AFTER both sides of the frame plates are sandwiched together.
        The problem is, there is no way to insert this block into the frame. I need to loosen the frames apart so that this block can go in between the insides of the frames.
        That means I wasted time on putting the thread locking, aligning the parts, in the earlier steps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tail holder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	980047

Unless I am wrong, someone advise me if there is a proper way, if I follow the instructions step by step.

Here I got a little tip on this block. I felt some tight spots when turning the gears and located it to the 2 90 degree bevel gear set.
        Due to both bevel gears having the same number of teeth, the tight spot will always occur at the same location.
        what I did was to pull out one of the bevel gear, rotate it away to another side, install back.
        Then check again. Rotate them until you felt good meshing.
        This is inherent due to plastic mould tolerance imperfection.
        I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Name:	complete frame.jpg
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	980048

Here is my semi completed heli.
          Still without electronics though..

Overall I have a pretty good impression of Align.

All parts fitted perfectly. Nothing to sandpaper or trim, plastics parts had no flashing or runners to trim, only difficult part is :

Difficult to insert the tail rod into the boom.
          Difficult to insert the 4 canopy grommets.
          Instructions are a little out of logical steps, esp. the tail block mounting.
          The provided ESC signal cable is a little short to reach to the rear of the body to allow me to connect to the Gpro if I mount it to the top of the frame, behind the main rotor.
          Also lastly the meshing of the motor to the helical gear has no tolerance to adjust meshing.
          Probably need to DIY a little to set it right.

Comment

Originally posted by blueangel View Post
            Here I met a problem while installing this tail piece - the part that held the boom to frame.
            The instruction is a little out of steps ahead and I am suppose to install this block AFTER both sides of the frame plates are sandwiched together.
            The problem is, there is no way to insert this block into the frame. I need to loosen the frames apart so that this block can go in between the insides of the frames.
            That means I wasted time on putting the thread locking, aligning the parts, in the earlier steps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]135940[/ATTACH]

Unless I am wrong, someone advise me if there is a proper way, if I follow the instructions step by step.

Here I got a little tip on this block. I felt some tight spots when turning the gears and located it to the 2 90 degree bevel gear set.
            Due to both bevel gears having the same number of teeth, the tight spot will always occur at the same location.
            what I did was to pull out one of the bevel gear, rotate it away to another side, install back.
            Then check again. Rotate them until you felt good meshing.
            This is inherent due to plastic mould tolerance imperfection.
            +1, good tip on the rotating gears.
            [:]=-[Hangar]-=[:]
            Trex 450L Dominator
            Goblin 500
            Spektrum DX9

"Airplanes fly while helicopters simply beat the air into submission."
            -RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

This is my first torque tube. So i took much time to understand how it works.

Now im not sure if my torque tube shaft's bearing that was stuffed into the boom was good enough because i could only manage to push the bearing about 1/3 into the boom, from the rear. Cant force it in further as it felt too tight.
              Afraid it would dislodge the bearing out of the rubber grommets.

Comment

Originally posted by blueangel View Post
                This is my first torque tube. So i took much time to understand how it works.

Now im not sure if my torque tube shaft's bearing that was stuffed into the boom was good enough because i could only manage to push the bearing about 1/3 into the boom, from the rear. Cant force it in further as it felt too tight.
                Afraid it would dislodge the bearing out of the rubber grommets.
                can try drip oil (e.g. triflow) on the sides of the boom first, then apply some on the rubber. Once the rubber has entered from one of the boom end, can use a 450 boom (or some tube that is wider than the TT but smaller than diameter of 500 boom) and slowly push it in with force applied on the rubber/bearing that grip the bearing.

And put a bit CA on the bearing (inner one) and glue to the TT, the distance to glue the bearing is in the manual.

Comment

Quick Question :

Any issues if the bearing is 1/3 from the tail.
                  Vibration will be bad ?

Because i try not to fix it now if there is no big issue on that.

Comment

need to bear in mind that almost all torque tubes are never straight so a tiny bit of vibe may be expected. as for bearing, use the method that Bro Koh advised. There can never be an absolutel vibe-free heli unless u mod an arrow shaft to use as TT.
                    Heli-ADDICTION:
                    Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                    JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Finally completed my build and electronics setup today.
                      Spooled up ( without blades ) to test.
                      Check screws. Check linkages. All seems good.
                      Expecting some oil staining the inside of blade grip holder, which it did, meaning there is more than enough grease in the feathering shaft. ( tips provided in a youtube build video )

Had some unfortunate hiccups last night as i decided to transfer my JR receiver into this heli and then could get any power up on the receiver and GPro and I thought my kit's ESc BEC was faulty. But after verifying with a RedCon receiver, realised my $168 JR went kaput for no reason while resting on my display shelves over the last few weeks of idling. Sianzzz liaozzz.. Or maybe its a revenge signifying me to keep flying every week ?

Hmm.. Machine revenge against human... LOL

And yes, about the Align GPro FBL gyro, it is very easy to setup.
                      I am used to flying Robird G31 for my two 450 heli.
                      Compare to GPro, the GPro software interface is more concise, instruction is very good.
                      Steps are smooths and i dont need to go back on forth on the menu tabs to recheck or adjust.

But because i had experience on Robird, while GPro is somewhat very similar, that might also suggest my opinion on the Align is user friendly.

I took less than 15 minute to setup the GPro. That is a thumbs up !

Comment

More than 2 weeks later finally found some time after work, headed down to a nearby flying field to drain some energy off 3 Lipo packs from my new-built Align's Dominator 500L.

Tried to take some very easy hovering for my first pack as usual, as I am still very new to this heli, its size and sound and then honestly ... very unfamiliar with how this heli would actually behave.
                        I only had my past 450 size heli to fall back on, so it's like .. let's try it ...woohoo !

3 careful Lipo packs flights later, each with a very satisfying flight time of more than 7 minutes with estimated 2900 rpm headspeed ( yes, quite low ) and being careful not to deplete beyond 3.8V per cell, I walk off the field with a grin !
                        But not forgetting to mention that throughout the accumulated 20 minutes of flights time, both my hands were shaking like it was freezing at sub-zero climate. My friend could even see my fingers shaking from afar !

I however could only blame myself for the trembling hands as I was still nervous to be flying this gorgeous Dominator in the air, or rather .. dominating the airspace, haha !

Here is my first hand account of the experience ...

Handles very stable from factory recommended settings.
                        How stable, some may asked ?
                        Very. So stable and predictable that I could take BOTH my thumbs off the sticks, held the transmitter in the air, turn my head around to my friends behind me, noted to him " Look, so stable, I'm not even touching the sticks LOL " ! Then briskly go back into the sticks.
                        All this while the heli was still hovering in mid air right in front of us.

Super impressed. I decided to push a little from my comfort zone and flew a cheated-method of figure-8 - meaning I took a left to right straight line approach, then turn around with rudder, returns from right to left in a straight line again, then turn around to repeat.
                        How I felt instantly was how it rides on rails.
                        Size matters, but I believe quality is substantial to render this kind of quality flight. Good fitting parts, precise components, well sorted out electronics and proper design and QC definitely helps.

Of course I may not be qualified like most guys who already are good heli flyers and probably owned more than a handful of bigger or better heli, but just to give an insight from a novice's point of view into his first 500 size heli.
                        Hope this helps in deciding if you are hesitating.. if you asked me today, I say.. Mai Tu Liaoz.. HAHA !

So here is me with the Align's Dominator 500L

Name:	Dominator pose.jpg
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	980147

Comment

Working...
                        X