Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

absolute beginner needs advice

Hi guys! this is my first post in this forum so i'll quickly introduce myself. my name is ken and after hearing from my friends im thinking of trying out RC multirotor flying as a hobby. For someone who has totally no experience flying RC aircraft beyond the cheap indoor helicopter from Toys R Us, i would be grateful if someone could point me in the right and safe direction

before i even start i think i should ask your opinion on what it takes to be a multirotor pilot. How steep is the learning curve for a total noob like me? Are there safe places in sg for novices to train? are there 'novice' multirotors which i can get at a shop?

won't bombard with too many qns, thanks in advance!!

You have made a wise decision. Multirotors are the easiest to learn to fly, since nowadays the flight controller has beginner modes, some call it 'stability' mode, 'angle' mode, 'Atti' mode depending on the FC brand. You need to decide on different classes to start. There is no fixed starting point, but people generally buy a small micro quad to practice the orientation in hover. In general, start small.

Nano class
    Micro class
    Mini-sized 250mm motor to motor
    450 sized, flamewheel, TBS discovery
    Larger sized in other configurations such as hex(6 motors) or octocopter(8 motors) or Y6(3 stacked motors)

BUT.... Many people have success buying an off the shelf ready to fly PHANTOM v2 from DJI and fly it GPS mode. It is so stable that it locks into position and you do not need to learn to pilot a multirotor the conventional way(rate/acro/manual). The flight controller in the phantom2 makes flying as easy as playing a PLaystation game.

If you have a multirotor that have gps feature, I don't think you have difficulty flying in GPS mode.

There you go, learning pathways for you to choose
    Hanger
    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
    Hirobo Quark SRB
    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
    Blade450 3D
    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
    HK FLYJET EDF
    Artech Skyfun
    Dynam P51D Mustang
    Parkzone P51

Tx:
    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
    Spektrum DX6i
    DX8
    Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Hey,for a 'newbie' multirotor, you could try the Hubsan X4. It's abit small but pretty darn indestructible with the blade protection. Look it up! After trying it out, if you think you will be serious in the hobby then you could aim to get a hobby grade tx and a simulator to practice on.

Welcome to the club!! =D
      [:]=-[Hangar]-=[:]
      Trex 450L Dominator
      Goblin 500
      Spektrum DX9

"Airplanes fly while helicopters simply beat the air into submission."
      -RR Heli Quotes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Yes the x4 is a good and affordable start. Very durable.

Many people can start flying with GPS flight mode and be happy with it because they love to fly their GPS multirotors and put the radio controller down on the ground to pose for pictures with their multirotor still staying in the air all by itself.

But if you wish to have more maneuverability and unlock the full agiility of the machine, then go to manual/acro/rate mode. Now, the GPS or Flight controller will not save you from a crash anymore. Every dumb mistake will punish you with a crash. But it also pays you with Yoda-like flying style. I recently came across a youtube video which shows some local guys having fun flying around some trees that I would normally not even go near. I think it will give some idea of what old style hands on stick flying can do.

Lastly, welcome to the hobby
        Hanger
        Hirobo XRB SR Lama
        Hirobo Quark SRB
        Hirobo Quark SRB SG
        Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
        Blade450 3D
        MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
        COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
        Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
        FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
        Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
        HK FLYJET EDF
        Artech Skyfun
        Dynam P51D Mustang
        Parkzone P51

Tx:
        Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
        Spektrum DX6i
        DX8
        Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Hi there. I'm a newbie too. But I still have yet to buy anything to start.
          I'm looking/researching around on tx systems coz I feel that is what will burn a hole in my pocket. But I'm slowly leaning towards flysky 9ch coz of the price point.
          I particularly will want to do this for fun not anything serious.
          But my objective is to do some fpv-ing. Slowly maybe this will take me a year or two to reach my goal. Any more recommendations?
          I already have a list of stuff I think I would get.
          For flight controllers I'm not sure what to get.
          Kk board or multiwii.
          NAZA will be to expensive for me.
          I would like to start with something basic and I will be adding on functionality to my drone from there.
          I may sound like a cheapo but any pointers?

Comment

where can i get the X4 FPV? tks
            YOu FLy, You CRASH, YOU LEARN..

Mini Titan
            JGF500th
            CC45
            Hitec 65HB x 3
            Futaba 9257
            Futaba GY401
            [U]colco lama v5[COLOR=Red]][COLOR=SandyBrown]
            Align Trex600N Pro

JR PCM 9X II
            e-STATION BC6
            kong lipo
            Dualsky
            ace RC
            x TREAM

Comment

hey mindfog bro, if you are after just the naza m lite without the gps let me know, I am after the gps dish and stand only. rotor hobby is selling full set at $215 net. I am willing to split cost with you or anyone. whoever out there who wants a naza m lite without gps you can just pay $70.00 to me and the rest I pay($145). Rotor is selling the naza m lite box alone for $90 net. I am giving you more than 20%. Arrange with me,meet at rotor's counter to deal. you help me I help you simple.

Comment

Originally posted by MindFog View Post
                Hi there. I'm a newbie too. But I still have yet to buy anything to start.
                I'm looking/researching around on tx systems coz I feel that is what will burn a hole in my pocket. But I'm slowly leaning towards flysky 9ch coz of the price point.
                I particularly will want to do this for fun not anything serious.
                But my objective is to do some fpv-ing. Slowly maybe this will take me a year or two to reach my goal. Any more recommendations?
                I already have a list of stuff I think I would get.
                For flight controllers I'm not sure what to get.
                Kk board or multiwii.
                NAZA will be to expensive for me.
                I would like to start with something basic and I will be adding on functionality to my drone from there.
                I may sound like a cheapo but any pointers?
                Get the KK. Cheap and you will leanr how different values of PID affect your control...
                "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Here is another video done by French:

*** SUBTITLES AVAILABLE IN 7 LANGUAGES *****This is a pre event that happend in france, organized by airgonay, a quadcopter racing fanatic association. Drone...

{ Go to youtube directly to have the English subtitle }

They are doing something like the pod racing in "Star War - Phantom Menace".. but done in forest (like Return of the Jedi?)
                  { I like the one that uses strip of red light at the rear of the copter... it looks as if it is Millennium Falcon }

I have QuadCopter of 360 size, and recently I set up QuadCopter of 200 Size and 250 Size.
                  This is what I found out so far (some may get different result):
                  The 200 size is small and can only use 5inch propellers (unless doing overlapping design ).
                  Because of that, the lifting power is quite low and can't carry slightly heavy FPV camera and uses bigger size (thus heavier) battery.

The 250 size is for what I feel, is the smallest size to go for. U can use 6inch propellers. Allow to carry/use bigger battery. I use 1500mAH but I find that the flight time is shorter than my 360 Size Quadcopter.

Now in the process of adding camera (80grams?) to my 360 size Quadcopter.

Comment

that video is amazing! i wish i can fly like that...
                    what kind of quad is that?

Comment

thanks guys! i borrowed an extreme fliers micro drone 2.0 and am having a lot of fun with it now. im crashing a lot though so sometimes it gets quite demoralising. i noticed that the quad handles very differently depending on my altitude and i can barely keep control once its above eye level. is this normal?

Comment

Hi guys. Finally finished building my first quad.
                        FPV250 w roll cage.
                        Naze32
                        ***********s 12a ESCs
                        Cobra 2204/28 2300kv 2-3S Brushless Motors
                        FrSky Taranis X9D plus
                        FrSky D4r-ii

I trying to learn to fly this thing. Is it normal that when I move my roll or pitch stick a bit it will tilt to 45deg?Wasnt it suppose to gradually tilt as i move my stick? Or am i missing something?

Comment

It also depend on the settings u set on your Naze32...or it could be because u bang too much on your control stick...or you have +ve exponential.

Normally move your control stick is a bit.. not much. Too much and it will turn a lot. If you have some sort of stability restriction, that is why it allow u turn max 45degree. If u set to like 3D config, turning too much and it will flip/roll 360 on your quadcopter.

Comment

Thx bro...i'll try to fiddle around with the settings.

Comment

Hi mindfog, any update for your new quad? I'd like to learn more from your experience to build my first drone.

Comment

Working...
                              X