Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray Painting #2

I have been away on a long trip and not wanting this project came to a standstill, I brought along a long strip of paper and work on the A350 window stencil by cutting out the 56 windows bit by bit whenever i had the time.

Once back, I laid the stencil over the fuselage and give a double coat of black spray paint with ample drying time in-between. A silver window rim was added to every window by using a silver marker to follow through another stencil slightly bigger than the window.

Here is a sneak peak of my progress so far as this project is almost nearing it's completion. I am intending to include other detailed touch ups wherever possible such as adding the communication antennas (fins located on the top of the fuselage) and nacelle strakes (fins located on the engines).

The next 3-4 weeks will be reserved for other ground tests before deeming it airworthy.
    1) Ground tests - eg. Make sure the aircraft is able to taxi with a reasonable turning radius.
    2) Electronics - eg. All the components are already installed. Just need to do some tidying-up to un-spaghettify the wirings.
    3) BEC test- eg. To run almost all 15 mini servos at once (in worst case scenario) and ensure current draw doesn't exceed the continuous current rating.
    Attached Files
    Build it
    Fly it
    Crash it
    Fix it

Comment

A350 pictures

Brought my plane down for a for photo-taking session.

For the last picture, I would like to introduce my current fleet of airliners.
      B787-900 (built in 2009)
      B727-200 (built in 2012)
      And today,the A350-900 (Just completed in 2015)
      Attached Files
      Build it
      Fly it
      Crash it
      Fix it

Comment

A350 Night Shots

Today i found some time off to quickly snap a couple of night shots and had the chance to turn on the navigational lights as it is more prominent after sunset. Enjoy!
        Attached Files
        Build it
        Fly it
        Crash it
        Fix it

Comment

This is the most awesome scratch build I see. The amount of planning n effort!!! Respect.

Comment

Hi Viper 1990,

Where can you find a nice runway beside woodland flying club to maiden this plane?

Comment

Originally posted by Verossa View Post
              This is the most awesome scratch build I see. The amount of planning n effort!!! Respect.
              Thank you for your kind words, glad you like it

Originally posted by yaplee View Post
              Hi Viper 1990,

Where can you find a nice runway beside woodland flying club to maiden this plane?
              Due to the new law, Anywhere not within 5km of an aerodrome i guess! that would meant tuas south. If i found a suitable area within 5km, I'll apply for a license before flying her. One thing is for sure, i'll definitely need a runway to takeoff as she weighs in roughly 2.6kg.
              Attached Files
              Build it
              Fly it
              Crash it
              Fix it

Comment

RC A350-900 XWB Rollout video

I have decided to come out with a short video clip to mark the milestone of my scratch-building phase,which is,the RC A350-900 XWB has officially "roll out" from the "factory" (My room) . The video shows the various ground tests I performed on the aircraft last weekend which went quite smoothly. Enjoy!

Build it
                Fly it
                Crash it
                Fix it

Comment

Flying Field Recce

As i haven't been flying rc planes for over 9months, I have been spending the past few weeks practicing flying other similar type EDF airliners (B727-200) to get my confidence back before taking the A350 up for it's maiden flight.

I have also went to recce for flying fields in Singapore to find a suitable place to hold the maiden flight. Over the numerous fields I've been to, I have narrowed down to 2 fields deemed most suitable based on the flying area and landing strips. I understand that to fly at Woodlands, an application to ACE Aeromodelling Club is needed which i won't mind if i chosen that particular field.

Feel free to comment and make any recommendation for the flying fields, else i'll pick the most suitable out of these 2 fields.

I will be looking at somewhere near end July or early August to fly.
                  Attached Files
                  Build it
                  Fly it
                  Crash it
                  Fix it

Comment

Hi Viper1990,

At Woodlands they normally fly at the runway labelled as Woodlands drive 19 in your googgle map, at the time/day approved by the airbase(usually Saturday/Sunday/public holidays is allowed unless there are activities from the airforce), usually in the morning from 9am to around 12pm, it gets quite hot at noon time. The path indicated in your map will be facing the rising sun in the morning till noon time and some times there will be people jogging on the track, you have to check with the club to see do they allow you to fly at that place because they have to follow rules set by the authorities.
                    I have seen people fly airbus A380 with around 1.5meters wing span so if your plane is around that size then should be no problem flying there

I had not been to tuas site thus i won't be able to comment, but looks like if you're able to take advantage of the longer run way and your plane need it then Tuas might be a better choice. Have you try flying at Tuas to get the "feeling " flying there?

Comment

Hi Kiat2001,

Thanks for the valuable information. I also have missed out something important you have pointed out which is the morning sun direction which can momentarily "blind" the pilot from the glare. It seems to be more sensible to use the other "runway" labelled Woodlands Drive 19.

I have flown at both fields before. Based on my previous experiences,Though Tuas South is spacious, Landing on the runway with trees planted on the other side feels slightly harder as there might be a chance of plane veering off to the tree lines damaging it in the process. I would say Tuas are for the better skilled pilots which i'm not .I have flown at woodlands field 3 years ago when there wasn't any constructions going on, I've felt very comfortable knowing that in the event such as a runway excursion, the risk of damaging the plane will be minimal if it veers off the runway.

With the construction at the other end of woodlands Drive 19, i have to ensure the aircraft could lift off in time and bank left immediately once airborne. As this is a heavy foamy aircraft, i'm estimating the A350 will need to run anywhere between 50-70 meters before reaching the take-off speed. Nevertheless my gut feel tells me Woodlands will give me a high success rate for taking off and landing.

I've redrawn my chart with the new flying pattern (left hand-circuit) i'm intending to fly. Is this how the club members fly usually?
                      Build it
                      Fly it
                      Crash it
                      Fix it

Comment

Attached Flying Circuit
                        Attached Files
                        Build it
                        Fly it
                        Crash it
                        Fix it

Comment

Hello Viper1990,

Yes, this is how the planes are flown usually, If your plane do not need a really big space to fly, than woodlands could be a easier for you to park your car & bring in your stuffs. You have such a pretty plane, you won't be able to admire it if you fly too far away.

Some time the wind over there is quite strong, no problem to take off but will be tricky to land the plane. haha.. One more thing to note, EDF are to fly after 9am, there are regulation saying that "noisy" planes are not aloud to fly at 8am, because of the nearby residential flats, and if i remember correctly planes weight more than 5kg or so are not allowed, i didn't ask why, i think most likely these planes would be too powerful to fly near residential area & SLE is just beside the flying field

BTW, no flying at Woodlands on this coming Saturday(25 July) due to RSAF activity. Sunday is OK

I had not been there to fly about 3 months already cos i now get lazy to go there as i stay at Jurong. Now i used to go playing at Jln Tukan at weekend evenings which is much nearer to my home. Let me know if you decide to fly there as i'd really want to see you plane and hear the sound of the "jet engines"

Comment

Hey Kiat2001,

Sounds great, Woodlands it shall be.

You can refer back to this thread here for the A350 maiden date once I've selected it. You and other members in this forum are most welcome to come along too and hope I won't disappoint anyone on that day *fingers cross* . It'll definitely be on a Sunday for sure!
                            Build it
                            Fly it
                            Crash it
                            Fix it

Comment

Happy National Day to all, I have been busy with non-RC related matters and will continue to be absent from any RC-stuffs for the next few days, therefore pushing the takeoff schedule further back. The good news is I have applied and join ACE Aeromodelling Club recently and selected these few days to hold the A350 madien flight. Would be good if any club members can advise the availability the following days:

30 August 2015 Sunday (Maiden Day)
                              6 September 2015 Sunday (Reserved)
                              13 September 2015 Sunday (Reserved)

In case of bad weather such as heavy rains and/or strong winds, i'll shift the flight to the next few Sundays. I will be looking forward to meet the club members and frequent fliers there
                              Build it
                              Fly it
                              Crash it
                              Fix it

Comment

Hi Viper1990

According to the flight schedule, flying activity at woodlands drive 19 site on 30 August(Sunday) is allowed, schedule for Sept is not out yet. See you on that day.

BTW, what time do you intent to fly ?

Comment

Working...
                                X