Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New IPPT system

After reading about our new IPPT system, I really wanted to laugh. Because you know why, our passing rate will be 99.99999%. When our nation turns 50 next year, all our soldiers will be very very fighting fit. Singapore number one!

I think I will still belong to the 0.000001% that fails

Comment

Turning the younger generation into a bunch of faggots.
      Heli-ADDICTION:
      Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
      JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Omg...
        The existing IPPT is from 1982..
        Time for the change..

If you wanna be fit, I have position in my company to work as general workers.
        The pay I'm offering is double the current NS pay..
        I love PAP

Comment

As general worker, you still contribute greatly to the nation..
          Just keep in mind that all buildings in singapore need them..
          And you will be part of the building a great nation.
          I love PAP

Comment

I will be serving next year but i seriously dont like the new IPPT system. Some of the stations removed are pretty important indicators of how you will fair in BMT i guess.

Do tell me if you disagree with me...
            "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by wanna_be_pilot View Post
              I will be serving next year but i seriously dont like the new IPPT system. Some of the stations removed are pretty important indicators of how you will fair in BMT i guess.

+1. U r most correct. The latest ippt system is a joke, think mindef worried that too many drop dead after the test. So hopefully there will be less fatality after this revision.
              Heli-ADDICTION:

Comment

Originally posted by wanna_be_pilot View Post

+1... Our nation still got hope.

MOE did a good job last time, now is mindef's turn... Since we cannot stop them(from failing), we support them(lowering the standard)... Cheers.

Comment

Just my two cents, not defending or attacking any pov here....

I am almost at the end of my ten year NS cycle, and I have always been under the previous IPPT system. It wasn't that difficult to clear if you keep a healthy lifestyle, and if you can do chinups. But it discriminates against a lot of guys who are heavier and can't pull or jump. Some of these guys happen to be very strong... and they could clear the (old school,; not revamped; read: difficult) original S.O.C. with flying colours....

I've been through a fitness regime last year which focussed primarily on crunches and pushups, chinups .. and squats and pylometrics.... these exercises made me fitter and better at running training than actual training for IPPT itself. With the new grading system.... there will be a bigger focus on true fitness than just being able to clear IPPT.

As for removing Chinups from the fitness test, it doesnt mean new recruits wont be doing any chinups.... but as with any guys that have gone through NS, once you can do 1 chin up, you can already do three very quickly... it's a matter of back strength and grip and being light..... it doesn't measure full upper body fitness as much as pushups. .... Removing it, removes being so biased against guys who are "heavier" , strong, and not necessarily obese. Same for Shuttle Run, it's almost impossible to fail, even if you do not train for it.

Most of the time, the people I know fail either because of 2.4 km, Chinups or SBJ. Changing Chinups and SBJ to situps and pushups, isn't going to make clearing IPPT any easier. If we look at the scoreboard criteria, you actually have to train. Pushups can be trained and to do many, one needs training, and it isn't something you can just "Wing it" by stroke of luck like Standing Broad Jump or Chinups or Shuttle Run (in the case of the lightweight guys)... I have a friend who can't lift 8kg in a bicep curl, but he can get Gold under the old IPPT rules. My other friend goes to gym three times a week, is very muscular and failed IPPT because he can't jump. I myself could do many chinups in IPPT (during NS days) but couldnt clear my obstacle course properly at areas that needed real upper body strength. [you run the obstacle course with combat gear on.... At that point in time, even with the IPPT award, I realised I wasn't truly combat fit. No. of chinups in IPPt not equals to how effective you are in clearing combat courses...

I actually tried out the new grading.... it's not that easy doing 50 pushups in 1 minute. Same thing with the sit ups.

Some things to clarify here.... pushups aren't useless... when done in proper form... you really need core strength and fitness as well.... Same goes for situps....

It doesn't mean the future army will be weaker, (that is if they keep the focus on really outfield training and don't keep nerfing the Obstacle COurse)

If anything, the new IPPT system, I feel will give more intrinsic motivation to people to train.... it's easier to pass, but it's not easy to score. And by removing SBJ, you remove the single most problematic issue with men that suffer from knee injury and can't qualify for full IPPT.

At the end of the day, regardless of how Mindef change, it's really up to the people, the new recruits to decide whether they truly want to rise to the occasion or SAF or just try to "wing it" with minimum effort.

Comment

Well said..
                    I love PAP

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                      +1. U r most correct. The latest ippt system is a joke, think mindef worried that too many drop dead after the test. So hopefully there will be less fatality after this revision.
                      \

I am pretty sure there will be more fatalities after this. Less qualified recruits will be Pes A certified and will go through a much harder training in NS. Eventually their bodies will most certainly fail in some way.
                      "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by MicroHeli-Nut View Post
                        Just my two cents, not defending or attacking any pov here....

I am almost at the end of my ten year NS cycle, and I have always been under the previous IPPT system. It wasn't that difficult to clear if you keep a healthy lifestyle, and if you can do chinups. But it discriminates against a lot of guys who are heavier and can't pull or jump. Some of these guys happen to be very strong... and they could clear the (old school,; not revamped; read: difficult) original S.O.C. with flying colours....

I've been through a fitness regime last year which focussed primarily on crunches and pushups, chinups .. and squats and pylometrics.... these exercises made me fitter and better at running training than actual training for IPPT itself. With the new grading system.... there will be a bigger focus on true fitness than just being able to clear IPPT.

As for removing Chinups from the fitness test, it doesnt mean new recruits wont be doing any chinups.... but as with any guys that have gone through NS, once you can do 1 chin up, you can already do three very quickly... it's a matter of back strength and grip and being light..... it doesn't measure full upper body fitness as much as pushups. .... Removing it, removes being so biased against guys who are "heavier" , strong, and not necessarily obese. Same for Shuttle Run, it's almost impossible to fail, even if you do not train for it.

Most of the time, the people I know fail either because of 2.4 km, Chinups or SBJ. Changing Chinups and SBJ to situps and pushups, isn't going to make clearing IPPT any easier. If we look at the scoreboard criteria, you actually have to train. Pushups can be trained and to do many, one needs training, and it isn't something you can just "Wing it" by stroke of luck like Standing Broad Jump or Chinups or Shuttle Run (in the case of the lightweight guys)... I have a friend who can't lift 8kg in a bicep curl, but he can get Gold under the old IPPT rules. My other friend goes to gym three times a week, is very muscular and failed IPPT because he can't jump. I myself could do many chinups in IPPT (during NS days) but couldnt clear my obstacle course properly at areas that needed real upper body strength. [you run the obstacle course with combat gear on.... At that point in time, even with the IPPT award, I realised I wasn't truly combat fit. No. of chinups in IPPt not equals to how effective you are in clearing combat courses...

I actually tried out the new grading.... it's not that easy doing 50 pushups in 1 minute. Same thing with the sit ups.

Some things to clarify here.... pushups aren't useless... when done in proper form... you really need core strength and fitness as well.... Same goes for situps....

It doesn't mean the future army will be weaker, (that is if they keep the focus on really outfield training and don't keep nerfing the Obstacle COurse)

If anything, the new IPPT system, I feel will give more intrinsic motivation to people to train.... it's easier to pass, but it's not easy to score. And by removing SBJ, you remove the single most problematic issue with men that suffer from knee injury and can't qualify for full IPPT.

At the end of the day, regardless of how Mindef change, it's really up to the people, the new recruits to decide whether they truly want to rise to the occasion or SAF or just try to "wing it" with minimum effort.
                        Will most certainly take your advice sir...

Comment

So, it seems that many agrees that we should train our soldiers harder and push them further and mindef should not listen to the whining parents.

What about those here who are parents whose sons are going for their NS soon?Do you feel the same? Just curious.

Comment

I'm the first batch of BMT when they intro the hotline. Guess wat the Sgt told us on day two: if u hv the balls, just try to call. On hindsight, should hv called, just for fun. My time in 95, if u fail ippt, cfm cannot book out and stay for extra training. Now? I'm not sure if CO will allow.
                            Heli-ADDICTION:

Comment

Yes! You are those train hard, no wayang old guards that I respect!

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                              I'm the first batch of BMT when they intro the hotline. Guess wat the Sgt told us on day two: if u hv the balls, just try to call. On hindsight, should hv called, just for fun. My time in 95, if u fail ippt, cfm cannot book out and stay for extra training. Now? I'm not sure if CO will allow.

Comment

Working...
                              X