Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire Supplier for Hot-wire

After much research and calling around, I was finally able to find a good supplier for nichrome wires commonly used in hot-wiring foam.
    As such, i want to put the suppliers info here for anyone who is looking one. Do give them a call before heading down...

I would suggest going with a wire 0.15-0.30mm thick. These work perfectly. If I am not wrong, the price is $3/m irregardless of the diam of the wire.

Company Name: Proheat Services Pte Ltd.
    Address: 32 Old Toh Tuck Road #02-14 IBiz Centre S597658
    Tel: 6777 3438
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi wanne_be_pilot,

Mind elaborating the application and uses for nichrome wires into hot-wiring foam? Not exactly sure what they are used for and the benefits. Like to learn more. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ebpwu View Post
      Hi wanne_be_pilot,

Mind elaborating the application and uses for nichrome wires into hot-wiring foam? Not exactly sure what they are used for and the benefits. Like to learn more. Thanks
      Sure..

So basically a current is passed through the wire and as a result the wire heats up. So once its heated up, you can use it slice through foam and carve it into any shape you need.

The reason why nichrome wire is used over other wires, steel wires/guitar wires etc., is because the resistivity of nichrome is very high. So a thinner wire can be used to get the same amount of heat. This will also result in you getting very thin and fine cuts with minimal amount of foam melted beads accumulating on the wire. In other words, the kerf of the cut will be as small as possible.

You can search on wikipedia about hot-wire foam cutting. Currently my team mate and I are using a 4 axis CNC hot wire machine to cut out wings for a project. Pretty interesting.
      "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Good to know that.

Comment

Nice tips!
          Did you build your own hotwire CNC? are you using profili?

Originally posted by wanna_be_pilot View Post
          Sure..

So basically a current is passed through the wire and as a result the wire heats up. So once its heated up, you can use it slice through foam and carve it into any shape you need.

The reason why nichrome wire is used over other wires, steel wires/guitar wires etc., is because the resistivity of nichrome is very high. So a thinner wire can be used to get the same amount of heat. This will also result in you getting very thin and fine cuts with minimal amount of foam melted beads accumulating on the wire. In other words, the kerf of the cut will be as small as possible.

You can search on wikipedia about hot-wire foam cutting. Currently my team mate and I are using a 4 axis CNC hot wire machine to cut out wings for a project. Pretty interesting.

Comment

the CNC was built by some vendor that the school had employed. The software we are using to control the CNC machine is called FoamMetric. Pretty good software once you understand how the software calculates your wing dimensions.

Profili is great for coming up with templates and analysing your airfoil. Would definitely recommend it.

Comment

Working...
            X