Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Say NO to RC Injuries (Not for the faint-hearted)

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say NO to RC Injuries (Not for the faint-hearted)

Hi RC friends,

Thought I should share my injuries sustained during my time acquainted with RC. It is definitely fun and merry, but sometimes the brutality of this hobby warrants the need for safety awareness and vigilance at all times be it at and off the field.

The objective is not instil fear or deter enthusiasts but more towards highlighting the importance of safety and how we can minimise accidents and maximise the enjoyment, without any human or property damage.

I hope by sharing my injuries and reading this post some will be able to learn to avoid any silly mishap and practice safety without going through any pain and go home happy at the end of the day.

Any members whom have had experiences with any injuries or near-miss accidents, please do share any other safety tips and advice, if any, for all the members here.

What: Deep laceration on index finger.

Cause: Improper launch of pusher plane at full throttle. I have never flown a pusher plane and offered to help launch for a friend. At full throttle and up elevator a slow hand is all it takes to make it happen.

Damage: 4 stitches, 1 tetanus shot, 1 X-ray, 1 medical bill and 1 whole day at the A & E with 3 subsequent follow ups to change dressing, apply anti-bacterial cream and to remove stitches. And yes, I have to take painkillers to ease the pain, especially for the first night.

Lesson: Do not try to launch or help launch a pusher plane if you have never flown one before. Get advice from flyers and do it only when you are very sure on the launch technique. Either launch with no throttle or throttle up only after the plane leaves your hand. If really need be, wear gloves (guess no one will really want to do that)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scar 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	978534

Comment

What: Keloid scar

Cause: Went to retrieve my landed plane in the middle of the field and someone did a low pass on his electric plane and hit my chest.

Damage: Deep cut on chest closer to neck area.

Lesson: Announce when you are retreiving the plane from the field. Look out for incoming planes and retreive your plane only when the sky is cleared and no one is taking planes off at the same time. Spectators can also help to shout out to flyers when man is in the field. Flyers are only to take off when the land is cleared and only to do a low pass when the field is cleared and know what is ahead of his flight path.

Name:	Keloid.jpg
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	978535

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I don't have battle scars from the hobby worth photographing (yet, and I hope never), but the ones I do remember are having my fingers stop the blades from moving of a 250 size coax while carrying it at the blade holders (yes it was only a coax heli) when I accidentally maxed the throttle stick of that 'toy' tx while it was hanging from neck. Got a couple of small bleeding bites that Healed completely in about 2 weeks, no scars. Taught me a lesson to (a) disconnect the battery before picking the heli up, AND to (b) dump the tx strap.

Second was the 20cent size abrasion I got from my 250 CB180Z 250-size FP heli that hit my arm when I was learning to fly nose in, in the living room. Really painful and scraped the skin off with some blood/plasma oozing, pretty much like the fall from a bicycle - healed like the coax bite. But Lesson learnt - no more flying these birds in the living room.

A quick search on youtube would scare plenty like me but I think the one that did it for me to remember to keep it safe was this one

Comment

injuries have but unfortunately it's on my wife's calf. luckily no scar. from then on, NO MORE testing in the house.
          Heli-ADDICTION:
          Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
          JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Blood stains on TX after being hit by a pusher prop. Always there is a need to get the launching hand out of the way!

Name:	IMAG1986.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	978540

------------------------------
            Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
            NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Hot Start by the Hirobo D3 which has been nothing but sheer turbulence thus far. Many months liao but the scars still there. Hopefully all will change after conversion to fbl.Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot start.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	978541

Heli-ADDICTION:
              Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
              JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

I have pusher planes too. But since the day I read about injury to the hands, I'm reluctant to fly it. Is there better ways to launch these pusher plane?

Comment

Originally posted by mave View Post
                  I have pusher planes too. But since the day I read about injury to the hands, I'm reluctant to fly it. Is there better ways to launch these pusher plane?
                  Which planes are these? The bixler, sky surfer / glider types should be a no brainer - just do full throttle and throw overhead. Wings are trickier, but a good / practiced discus throw should do well, allowing you to keep one hand on the radio. The easiest would be if you have a flight stabilizer on-board. Set it to auto-level, full throttle, and throw. Unless you really messed up the throw, the plane will immediately level out as it leaves your hand as long as it has enough power to immediately gain air speed.

Comment

I got the funjet. Present from my wife , girl friend then. Didn't fly it at all. Only ask my friend to maiden it

Comment

By the way, what stabilizer is good?
                      Originally posted by Stringer View Post
                      Which planes are these? The bixler, sky surfer / glider types should be a no brainer - just do full throttle and throw overhead. Wings are trickier, but a good / practiced discus throw should do well, allowing you to keep one hand on the radio. The easiest would be if you have a flight stabilizer on-board. Set it to auto-level, full throttle, and throw. Unless you really messed up the throw, the plane will immediately level out as it leaves your hand as long as it has enough power to immediately gain air speed.

Comment

Originally posted by mave View Post
                        I got the funjet. Present from my wife , girl friend then. Didn't fly it at all. Only ask my friend to maiden it
                        For pusher type plane like Funjet, you can use different flight mode for launch and flying. Its a fun plane to fly, when it is setup correctly according to the manual.
                        Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Been flying pusher plane like Funjet for a few years, and mostly self launch. Here are some point that may help.
                          1. Make the cg is correct.
                          2. Use a different flight mode for launching and flying. More up elevator trim for launch. Do not use the elevator stick for this purpose. You tend to over pull the elevator, resulting in the sudden tail down tendency after release from hand.
                          3. Throw the plane level or with a slight upward angle like a throw a stone. Always, the hand must follow through.
                          4. If a friend help to throw, inform him of point 3.

Comment

5. Do not go full throttle, 70 to 80 % will be enough.

Comment

Thanks for the safety suggestions will try that.!

Originally posted by VinCopter View Post
                              5. Do not go full throttle, 70 to 80 % will be enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X