Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Electronics / RC / Stepper Motor control

Hi All,

I don't have any engineering background - nor am I an electronics / software guy. Hence requesting help from anybody who understands stepper motor control with RC transmitter. Basically I have a Pan/Tilt gimbal head which works with stepper motor/s. I just want to find a way to disconnect the stepper motors from their current connection and control the pan / tilt using an RC Tx/Rx. (its connected to a PCB - and possible some software is also working over there..). The Tx I have is JR9503 & Dx8 as well.

This is for my personal requirement.. but still I am willing to compensate for your efforts. I live in Simei and anybody nearby is most ideal.. whatsapp me on 91010125.

Thanks in advance..

Hey Bro,

I didn't get an email from you so I thought I'd post my findings here for you. It'll also allow other friends here to give their input as well.

I took a look at the Gigapan, and managed to find a site that had pictures of it taken apart (http://press3.mcs.anl.gov/forest/hardware/gigapan-hack/). Unfortunately he doesn't give much information or any updates about his project.

However from what he did mention and a quick look at the boards, it would seem that your unit uses bipolar stepper motors and the circuit board can be removed cleanly from the rest of the unit.

We can probably try to hook up an arduino that will take the PWM input from your RC receiver and use it to control a stepper motor controller (similar to the one discussed in the site above). It shouldn't be too hard as code for reading PWM and stepper control is already available. We just need to put them together. I've got the arduino that we can try to prototype with, but you'll have to pick up the stepper controllers before I can do any experimentation.

I can't make any guarantees that it'll work, so you might be burning a couple of dollars for nothing. Let me know if you want to try it and I'll put together a parts list for you to buy.

Comment

Hey Bro,

Thanks so much! Looks like we are headed in right direction.. let me know the next steps I am Ok to try this out.. but before that, would you want to have a a look at the entire unit.. I can bring it to any place where we can meet. My office in near China Town area.. but I can meet-up any place..

Comment

Yeah it would be good if you could bring the unit by. My office is in the East so it might be on your way home. I'll pm you the details.

Comment

hi, are you building this. Please do let me know. I stay in east and very much interested in such things. I stay in MArine parade..

Comment

I'm currently waiting for muncher to get back from overseas so I'm not sure as to the status yet. Will keep you posted if you want to pm me your name and contact info.

Comment

Working...
            X