Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lipo charging sequence ?

Hi,
    Can anyone advise if there is a difference when one connects the lipo to charge? One LHS tells me that I MUST connect the charging plug before the balancing plug before initiating charge or the lipo lifespan will either be reduced or damaged. Need to confirm if that is true.

Originally posted by ebpwu View Post
    Hi,
    Can anyone advise if there is a difference when one connects the lipo to charge? One LHS tells me that I MUST connect the charging plug before the balancing plug before initiating charge or the lipo lifespan will either be reduced or damaged. Need to confirm if that is true.
    There is no 'one' way to charge.

1. Usually when balance charging is not necessary, I connect the discharge lead only.
    2. When using the power lab charger, I have the option of charging only through the balance leads, if you do low C. Very convenient.
    3. When in a hurry I plug in both balance and discharge leads for full rate charging.

Till date I have not found any defect or damage when I connect the balance tab first, or the main leads first.
    Hanger
    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
    Hirobo Quark SRB
    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
    Blade450 3D
    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
    HK FLYJET EDF
    Artech Skyfun
    Dynam P51D Mustang
    Parkzone P51

Tx:
    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
    Spektrum DX6i
    DX8
    Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Originally posted by ebpwu View Post
      Hi,
      Interesting. I always plug in the balance connection first. So far, nothing happen. All my batteries can last beyond 100 cycles. This idea/requirement may have come from much older generation of chargers where there was little safety features built in. These days, most chargers should have all kind of safety features built in, so there is no reason that one must connect the discharge cable to the charger first.

Comment

I connect the red and black wire first then balance plug. Am using pl8.
        Too many helis!

Comment

no right or wrong. In sequence, I connect balance port, positive (red) then negative (black). I learnt this some years ago on RR. Am using i306 icharger with p350 psu.
          Heli-ADDICTION:
          Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
          JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

ebpwu,

Which LHS told you that?

Comment

Guys,
              Thanks for the informative replies. It just tingles my hair everytime I connect my lipo and have to take care not to plug in the balancer first. At least I can now debunk the myth and just ignore this habit. Yay.

Hi nb8686,
              Bought a lipo charger with balancer from Fook Hai before and has been told to observe 'this' charging practice. Guessed now which specific shop is not important already.

Comment

Working...
              X