Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to learn flying

Hi I bought a nitro RC car which I am still figuring out. But I also want to learn how to fly. So planning to get a radio transmitter and try using a simulator.

Which one should I get as a transmitter...

1. Cheanp 9X from hobbyking
    2. Futaba T8J

Also where can I source these radios in Singapore at the cheapest ?

Also are jets good as a starter planes ?

Both radios you have listed are 2.4Ghz. They are more or less equal in terms of range and performance, assuming you mount the receivers and antennas correctly.

If you check our vendors sidebar in DH you can find lots of them selling radios. If cheapest, look at the market section. You can also find alot of radios going off at a fraction of the price.

Lastly, one would normally not start with jets because:
    1. They are fast
    2. They are less tolerant of bad piloting. (inertial coupling, high speed stall, stall recovery, tip stall, approach speed, take off run, etc)
    3. Edf jets have only a few minutes of flight time and need to be landed by someone competent as soon as the timer runs out. Beginners tend to have difficulty bringing it down for a landing until 5-6 or alot of attempts later. 5 or more minutes would have elapsed, unnecessary straining the battery and potentially leading to a brownout or premature failure of the cells.

Best to get a good handling plane to train on, relaxing for peace of mind. They may not look good but they teach well, and are easy to repair in light crashes. Once ready, you may proceed to more challenging planes to give you perimeters more to stress about while trying to fly it. (flaps, retracts, brakes, etc)
    Hanger
    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
    Hirobo Quark SRB
    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
    Blade450 3D
    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
    HK FLYJET EDF
    Artech Skyfun
    Dynam P51D Mustang
    Parkzone P51

Tx:
    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
    Spektrum DX6i
    DX8
    Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Thanks for your inputs... Yeah was I told to start with simpler starter planes as well.. Will do that only. Although looking at the jets makes me go wow...

Any local shops which would give a good price for the radios I mentioned... The 9X is only through hobbyking right. I cant get it from a local shop ?

Comment

Originally posted by ronnieg View Post
        Thanks for your inputs... Yeah was I told to start with simpler starter planes as well.. Will do that only. Although looking at the jets makes me go wow...

Any local shops which would give a good price for the radios I mentioned... The 9X is only through hobbyking right. I cant get it from a local shop ?
        For the radio, start with something inexpensive. Since you're just starting out, you don't really know if your interest will stay with the hobby. That being said, and since you've already been eyeing the Turnigy 9x, I'd recommend you check out this combination from HobbyKing:

- Turnigy 9XR Tx (no module)
        - FrSky DJT Module with DR-II Telemetry Receiver

That'll cost you less than USD110 and will give you rock solid performance. Once you got the Tx, update the firmware to OpenTx. You can also update the firmware of the FrSky Rx to get new features (e.g., CPPM, RSSI). The learning curve using this combo is higher, but I think it's worth it.

Comment

Saw the reviews of the 9XR and it has pretty good features. Only problem I have which is very superficial is that I find the transmitter really bad looking... So glossy and tacky.. Again sorry not liking a great transmitter for looks. But as a newbie I guess it can be expected from me

I like the 9X's looks.. Simpler just nice

Comment

Saw the reviews of the 9XR and it has pretty good features. Only problem I have which is very superficial is that I find the transmitter really bad looking... So glossy and tacky.. Again sorry not liking a great transmitter for looks. But as a newbie I guess it can be expected from me

I like the 9X's looks.. Simpler just nice
            Lol. Up to you, bro. But I find "function before form" critical especially with toys that fly, which can cost a lot or even hurt someone when it crashes due to poor performance (although it may look good). I'm not saying 9X is a bad radio, but you may want to keep that mantra in mind as you move along the rc world.

Comment

Originally posted by Aramid View Post
              Lol. Up to you, bro. But I find "function before form" critical especially with toys that fly, which can cost a lot or even hurt someone when it crashes due to poor performance (although it may look good). I'm not saying 9X is a bad radio, but you may want to keep that mantra in mind as you move along the rc world.
              Yup I know.. I want a reliable radio which can last me for some time. That is why I am even considering the Futaba T8J or T6J ... Reliable but ex for a newbie like me

Comment

The T8J and 6J are actually cheap, compared to the rest of Futaba's radios. These run on S-FHSS, and you'll find that you will NOT be able to get 3rd party receivers for them, and be stuck with buying Original Futaba receivers. The costs stacks up (You can get almost 3 3rd party ones for an original Futaba one).

Other good reputable transmitters are:
                - Spektrum 6i
                - Futaba 6EX
                - Hitec Aurora 9
                - I heard that FrSKY just came out with a new tx on Hobbyking, the Taranis, with stunning features
                Hobbyking - the world's No1 Online Hobby Store. We stock a huge selection of RC products from Planes right through to Drones and all accessories. Visit Us Today.

WAtch out for mode 1 vs mode 2 (do your research on which to get) - i am mode 2.

Comment

But i must say, the TUrnigy 9x is a really good tx for the price. Allows you to learn a lot and can grow with you quite some ways before you know what to look out for in a pro transmitter. Also allows you time to decide if you really want to splash out big bucks for a godly transmitter (like the JETI) Can't be beat for its price. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by garryh View Post
                    The T8J and 6J are actually cheap, compared to the rest of Futaba's radios. These run on S-FHSS, and you'll find that you will NOT be able to get 3rd party receivers for them, and be stuck with buying Original Futaba receivers. The costs stacks up (You can get almost 3 3rd party ones for an original Futaba one).

Other good reputable transmitters are:
                    - Spektrum 6i
                    - Futaba 6EX
                    - Hitec Aurora 9
                    - I heard that FrSKY just came out with a new tx on Hobbyking, the Taranis, with stunning features
                    Hobbyking - the world's No1 Online Hobby Store. We stock a huge selection of RC products from Planes right through to Drones and all accessories. Visit Us Today.

WAtch out for mode 1 vs mode 2 (do your research on which to get) - i am mode 2.
                    There are 3rd party Rx that supports S-FHSS, like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ompatible.html

This Rx was made in cooperation with FrSky (the hardware is a FrSky V8 Rx) and Simon Chambers, one of the good firmware developers in RCG.

Click image for larger version

Name:	42310(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	976114

I have this and I've tested it to be working well with the Futaba T8J, T6J, and the FrSky DJT module.

A good, but inexpensive Tx is the combination of the Turnigy 9XR + FrSky DJT module, then flash it with the latest OpenTx firmware.

The Taranis is a great radio, and if you're on the fence for it, grab either modes if they're available. Changing modes is a 5-minute job and only involves loosening and tightening screws on the gimbals. <br> <br>

Comment

That rx is ALWAYS on backorder I waited until i gave up and sold my ratio and bought a 14SG haha (partly so i could still utilise my SFHSS rx...)

Comment

Updating my progress so far I went on a huge shopping spree on hobbyking, aloft, smartieparts and radiocontrol sports singapore

Turnigy 9x Mode 2
                        Smatieparts programmer board
                        Smartyparts TelemetrEZ
                        Backlit upgrade
                        Fr Sky DJT module (telemetry)
                        Fr Sky D8R (telemetry)
                        Lifepo batteries x 5 (2 tx 2 rx 1 surface tx)
                        Turnigy GTX3 surface tx/rx set for the car
                        Telemetry voltage sensors (vario sensors were out of stock )
                        Blade MSR

And Phoenix RC Sim

Plan to get orange module for DSM bind and fly model soon together with plane and heli kits soon from Hobbyking

Comment

Updating my progress so far I went on a huge shopping spree on hobbyking, aloft, smartieparts and radiocontrol sports singapore

Turnigy 9x Mode 2
                          Smatieparts programmer board
                          Smartyparts TelemetrEZ
                          Backlit upgrade
                          Fr Sky DJT module (telemetry)
                          Fr Sky D8R (telemetry)
                          Lifepo batteries x 5 (2 tx 2 rx 1 surface tx)
                          Turnigy GTX3 surface tx/rx set for the car
                          Telemetry voltage sensors (vario sensors were out of stock )
                          Blade MSR

And Phoenix RC Sim

Plan to get orange module for DSM bind and fly model soon together with plane and heli kits soon from Hobbyking
                          Why did you choose the Turnigy 9X over the Turnigy 9XR?

Comment

Originally posted by Aramid View Post
                            Why did you choose the Turnigy 9X over the Turnigy 9XR?
                            Well cause I choose the 9x for several reasons...

1) I can get the same features on the 9x after modding it and I love modding. DIY radio with mods seemed interesting to me.
                            2) Didn't like the look (too shiny). I know its a superficial reason but I like the 9x more than 9xr.
                            3) Doesn't come with a module. I may not use the stock module on the 9x but a module and receiver which comes with it.
                            4) As a newbie who is still learning this is an overkill but the FrSky module DJT I got is for telemetry. With the smartie parts board and telemetryEZ kit it becomes a breeze. I am pretty ok with soldering but 9XR mod for telemetry becomes a complete mod with soldering onto the board
                            5) I would like to upgrade directly a radio like the FrSky Taranis later so wanted to stick to a reliable open source radio with loads of information. I also like the OS-rc radio if it becomes a reality. http://www.os-rc.com/en/

These videos helped me make up my mind about the 9x too

Comment

Well cause I choose the 9x for several reasons...

1) I can get the same features on the 9x after modding it and I love modding. DIY radio with mods seemed interesting to me.
                              2) Didn't like the look (too shiny). I know its a superficial reason but I like the 9x more than 9xr.
                              3) Doesn't come with a module. I may not use the stock module on the 9x but a module and receiver which comes with it.
                              4) As a newbie who is still learning this is an overkill but the FrSky module DJT I got is for telemetry. With the smartie parts board and telemetryEZ kit it becomes a breeze. I am pretty ok with soldering but 9XR mod for telemetry becomes a complete mod with soldering onto the board
                              5) I would like to upgrade directly a radio like the FrSky Taranis later so wanted to stick to a reliable open source radio with loads of information. I also like the OS-rc radio if it becomes a reality. http://www.os-rc.com/en/
                              Totally cool, bro. Try to add the voice mod as well. Let us know how all these work for you and I'm sure others might be interested in doing the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X