Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on coating eps edf jet

Hi bros

Anyone does a clear coat of varnish or lacquer on their eps jets before for the clear sheen and protection?

Saw on rcgroups people have really done it but the brands they use isn't available locally.

Hope to seek any advice.. Read that acetone dissolves eps and the best bet is a water based varnish spray..

Anyone know if we can get it locally?

Any help much appreciated!

Regards
    Kyle

Homefix
    Hanger
    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
    Hirobo Quark SRB
    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
    Blade450 3D
    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
    HK FLYJET EDF
    Artech Skyfun
    Dynam P51D Mustang
    Parkzone P51

Tx:
    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
    Spektrum DX6i
    DX8
    Futaba 9CAP

Comment

I have seen those threads on RCG and yes, the stuff they use is hard to come by here locally. I have, in the past used light fibreglass cloth with 20min finishing epoxy on key areas on my edf jets, namely the nose section and underbelly. One layer of cloth and spread the epoxy out blotting excess with a paper towel. Use a glove though to protect your hands and make work easier. Normal epoxy is clumpy and thicker than the finishing epoxy. Both the cloth and epoxy were bought from HbbyKng. You could try to look water based Polyurethane around the hardware stores, but they don't come cheap. If you do proceed with it, always do a small test coat somewhere on the foam, inner hatch is a good place I always use...lol. If it doesnt react then you can proceed. You could also check the shops at FookHai for glass cloth and resin. Alternatively, I have read elsewhere on RCG where some have used laminating film (but hard to find the very light gram types here), SIG coverall and even covering Film, where they just iron onto the frame at low heat taking their time. It's all an experimentation and most have had pretty decent results. Bear in mind that it does add some weight and increases the AUW of the plane. I would normally glass the nose and under cockpit area and half the underbelly if belly landing. Hope that helps.

Comment

The brand i used for my EPO and EPS planes is Ronseal. For best effect, use the gloss clear coat outdoor varnish. Note that it will be slight orange hue, so use sparingly.

Comment

Bro use pva glue and silkspan or wet wipe tissue dry it first its strong and wit easly apply also easy to sand down access just wipe away with water

Comment

Diluted pva glue or wood glue with lightest fg cloth.. the most economical way. I use 2 parts glue 1 part water. Can use silkspan too but i thk its more ex than fg. After tat u can use normal spray paint to colour it..

Comment

Working...
            X