Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on lipo battery

Hi bro..recently I accidentally turned on my Futaba tx and forgotten to turn it off. As a result the battery was totally drain out and now unable to charge it using my intelligent charger..can any bro please advice how I could restore the tx battery power...thanks.

Originally posted by zebby838 View Post
    Hi bro..recently I accidentally turned on my Futaba tx and forgotten to turn it off. As a result the battery was totally drain out and now unable to charge it using my intelligent charger..can any bro please advice how I could restore the tx battery power...thanks.
    This is due to some of the cell has gone below the lowest cut-off voltage of the charger. You should replace the battery.

If you still want to charge this LIPO, you may set your charger to NICD and let it charge till all cells voltages rise pass the cut-off voltage of the charge. You should be to read the total voltage as it charges. Once you have at least 2.9V for all the cell, you can switch back to LIPO charging. Make sure your NICD charging current is about 180mA max.

Good Luck!

Comment

Hi bro gpsnuts..thanks for the advised and really appreciate your fast response..just one thing to consult bro if I can put the battery inside my futaba tx to charge using NICD..will it damaged the tx by doing so cos the power cord have to be connected to the tx in order to charge the battery right..thanks.

Comment

Thats good advice! Never thought about that.
        You can also search youtube "how to recover Lipos" there are a few videos

Comment

basically, if the lipo has gone below 'safety voltage' - no matter what, your lipo charger will not charge it.

warning - charging it may be dangerous and cause a fire.

but basically, I think what they suggested is correct - slow charging with nicd - just enough to bring the lipo out of the 'safety voltage' zone, and there you can proceed to charge the lipo normally.

I've rescued small lipos this way - left the lipo in the plane and forgot to disconnect.

but watch for fires!
          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Same here. That happens. To practise further safety, I charged them in lipo bag as well and try to monitor the charging frequently. I also bought a small portable fire extinguisher from DIY store and place them by the side of my chargers for any unexpected fire outbreak.

Be careful and play safe..

Comment

A further measure would be to check the impedance of the cells in the pack. If a particular cell registers high resistance after charging, it would probably mean that the whole pack is compromised. Since a weak cell in the pack might be charged reverse polarity by the other cells while in flight, to dangerous effect. I would not use that pack for flying, maybe ok for bench testing or powering non-critical kits only.
              Hanger
              Hirobo XRB SR Lama
              Hirobo Quark SRB
              Hirobo Quark SRB SG
              Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
              Blade450 3D
              MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
              COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
              Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
              FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
              Artech F14 Tomcat EDF