Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe Flying

I like to highlight some safety precaution when flying models. Feel free to add to the list of precaution. Hopefully, this can become Daddyhobby safety manual.

1. Heli blade tracking should be checked while hovering and not holding it in ones hand and throttle up. Why? The rotor blade tip speed of a Trex @ 2400 rpm is 308 km/hr Raptor 50 @ 1900 rpm is 487km/hr Don't think anyone wants to get the tip into their eye.

2. Do not stand in line of a spinning propeller. Many onlookers/modellers not aware that propeller can come apart.

3. A good flying site is away from buildings, people and expressway. ( I know hard to find).

4. Be prepared to sacrifice your model if there is a potential risk of damaging properties or hurting someone.

run out of time,

Cheers
    Last edited by X34; 05-09-2005, 11:51 AM.

2. Do not stand in line of a spinning propeller. Many onlookers/modellers not aware that propeller can come apart.

u stand diagonal oso cannot
    best is stand away when someone is starting the engine.
    prop fly out sideways not to the front

Comment

Thanks to james for starting the thread....

I will make this a sticky...
      TREX 500 ESP
      Futaba T12FGH

Comment

1. Always use a glow extension on plane engines where the glow plug has dangerous proximity with the swinging prop....e.g. Enya 53 four stroke. Loosing a finger or two is not ok.

2. Do not use loose glow boosters that are no longer able to clip onto the glow plug.

3. Get help from a friend to hold the aircraft when you start contact.

4. Make sure your throtlle linkage is setup to achieve throttle cut by radio

5. Painting white tips on black prop and black tips on white props will help make the "cutting edge" visible.

Comment

When Flying, always put yourself between the flying area and the other onlookers or other RC pilot.

When removing the glow plug always do it from behind the spinning prop. (Always see ppl remove the glow plug with their arm over the turning prop).
          If the building stops, the buying starts!

Comment

Make sure when there are other flyers, check with everyone the frequency they are running

Which character are you test by

Comment

Safe Flying compilation/credits.

I compiled the contributions for easy reading. Keep it coming.

1. Heli blade tracking should be checked while hovering and not holding it in ones hand and throttle up. Why? The rotor blade tip speed of a Trex @ 2400 rpm is 308 km/hr Raptor 50 @ 1900 rpm is 487km/hr Don't think anyone wants to get the tip into their eye.(X34)

2. Do not stand in line of a spinning propeller. Many onlookers/modellers not aware that propeller can come apart.(X34)
              a. Best is to stand away when someone is starting the engine. Prop fly out sideways not to the front (justin)

3. A good flying site is away from buildings, people and expressway. ( I know hard to find).(X34)

4. Be prepared to sacrifice your model if there is a potential risk of damaging properties or hurting someone.(X34)

5. Always use a glow extension on plane engines where the glow plug has dangerous proximity with the swinging prop....e.g. Enya 53 four stroke. Loosing a finger or two is not ok.(mechplas)

6. Do not use loose glow boosters that are no longer able to clip onto the glow plug.(mechplas)

7. Get help from a friend to hold the aircraft when you start contact.(mechplas)

8. Make sure your throtlle linkage is setup to achieve throttle cut by radio.(mechplas)

9. Painting white tips on black prop and black tips on white props will help make the "cutting edge" visible.(mechplas)

10. When Flying, always put yourself between the flying area and the other onlookers or other RC pilot.(BabyBoy)

11. When removing the glow plug always do it from behind the spinning prop. (Always see ppl remove the glow plug with their arm over the turning prop).(BabyBoy)

12. Make sure when there are other flyers, clear your own frequency with everyone before turning on your transmitter, but do remember your own frequency.(no point clearing the wrong freq )(alamin2)
              Last edited by X34; 05-09-2005, 11:53 AM.

Comment

err is this correct ? Trex @ 2400 rpm is 426 km/hr Raptor 50 @ 1900 rpm is 750km/hr 2400rpm blade tip 426km/h? 1900rpm blade tip 750km/h?
                JR 2.4GHz 10X

JR DS8717
                Solid G
                KY-3000 30% nitro

Comment

even if it's not..I wouldn't want the tip to be caught in my eye!
                  TREX 500 ESP
                  Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Originally posted by cyz0301
                    err is this correct ? Trex @ 2400 rpm is 426 km/hr Raptor 50 @ 1900 rpm is 750km/hr 2400rpm blade tip 426km/h? 1900rpm blade tip 750km/h?
                    U are right the tip speed is not that high. Miscalculation on my part. square the pi instead of multiplying it by 2

The calculations Trex rotor blade radius 0.34m

Circumference 2pi r = 2 x 3.143 x 0.34m = 2.14m
                    2.14m x 2400rpm = 5136 m/min
                    5136 m/min x 60/1000 = 308km/hr.

Raptor 487 km/hr.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Art
                      even if it's not..I wouldn't want the tip to be caught in my eye!
                      Art,

That is the point that I wanted to make. Thanks.

Comment

**some more safe flying tips..

- do pre-flight checks before flying.. (eg. ailerons/elevator/rudder/throttle.. make sure correct movements.. check whether its reversed or not)

- make sure model memory in TX is the same as the model you're flying.. (i think this is considered as pre-flight as well)

rifqi.
                        this hobby is a compulsion/addiction/disease

Comment

advice

rifqi good advise our plane got grounded becuase of reverse aileron
                          *^(HOKAGE PHOENIX)^*
                          Coming soon:
                          f-18 ?
                          TEMASEK POLYTECHNIC (AMIG)

Comment

Originally posted by rifqi
                            **some more safe flying tips..

- do pre-flight checks before flying.. (eg. ailerons/elevator/rudder/throttle.. make sure correct movements.. check whether its reversed or not)

- make sure model memory in TX is the same as the model you're flying.. (i think this is considered as pre-flight as well)

rifqi.
                            Check for Dual rates if you got it set... If you can't handle high rates, better fix it down... otherwise you might lauch the plane/heli at the wrong settings...

Don't leave your TX hanging by the neck strap around your neck when you set your micros down on the floor... you might accidentally shift the trottle stick as the Tx goes swinging around by the neck strap....
                            huh

Comment

Was looking at the Sep 25th picture of the EasyGlider, it reminds me of folding prop limitation.

Basically, all props has a max rpm rating. Most manufacturer would state it on the packaging or their website. Exceeding the max rpm can cause the prop to come apart. If any part of the prop is damaged/cracked it should be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                              X