Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZERO RC Experience- Twin EDF Airbus A330-300 Scratchbuild

Hey guys! As the title says, I'm new to this RC hobby with almost 0 experience. I know quite abit about the physics behind flying and the controls and stuff but a little new to terms like FSA and...can't think of anything now . Well anyway, after reading through the forums, I've been pretty inspired by scratch building projects especially those by Viper1990 cos they're very detailed and about Commercial Airliners which I'm more interested in.

So, because I've always loved how graceful those A330's look in real life, I want to build one too!

Here are some pictures to give you an idea:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1468336.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	991164

Name:	8560901590_1d191e245c_o.jpg
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	991165

Name:	8560901668_a040bd5b83_o.jpg
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	991166

I've already gotten basic plans (from the Airbus website) and a rough idea of the scaling I want, about 1:45, which would give me a wingspan of about 1.34m. I'm still working out how I'm going to get the

1. Shape of the fuselage
    2. Shape of the wing's airfoil (I calculated about 30 degrees of sweep at the leading edge and 20 degrees at the trailing edge)
    3. Weight??
    4. Winglets attached
    5. Engine placement
    [B]6. Flaps
    Okay there's more but I'll post them later

As for the Tail and Horizontal Stabilisers, I thought of using the scale measurements that I'll calculate shortly...

As for a Hot Wire, well I'm still working on it (mainly whether its like safe anot or whether I should get the pre-made ones from ArtFriend)

I've already tracked down a couple of things I may buy:

1. Foam from ArtFriend (not sure about which size yet)
    2. 2 EDFs (should be enough I hope)http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Version_.html
    3. 2 ESCs (not sure which one to get) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...to_39_Amp.html

Any suggestions on the Controller? I'm still a JC1 student so I have to save hahahaha!

I know it will take up alot of time and alot of work. I have no plans to fly this thing as of now because of my noobness I just want to build during this June Holidays when I'm not mugging. I would like to seek some help from all the veterans here!

If you plan to stay in this hobby for long long time, get the best radio you can afford. Keep us update on your project. Hope to see it fly.

Comment

Since you have the time and energy to build, why not build a high wing trainer first. Flying edf plane is certainly not for beginners. Much less building one. Will save you lots of headaches latter.

Comment

Still my favourite scale airliner, MD80
        Hanger
        Hirobo XRB SR Lama
        Hirobo Quark SRB
        Hirobo Quark SRB SG
        Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
        Blade450 3D
        MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
        COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
        Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
        FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
        Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
        HK FLYJET EDF
        Artech Skyfun
        Dynam P51D Mustang
        Parkzone P51

Tx:
        Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
        Spektrum DX6i
        DX8
        Futaba 9CAP

Comment

It's best to start building something simple first, which is more suited for the compressed foam sheet that you plan to get from artfriend. The RCGroups - Scratch build forum has many such simpler designs, utilizing either flat plate wing, or KFm airfoil. There's quite a lot of frustration and things to figure out when starting to build the first model, so the simpler the design, the better chance of success.

Can understand that you are attracted to the 'scale' aircraft - like we all were when starting out - but it's not a good choice as a first model. "Airplane that looks nice, usually not easy to fly (or build, but that's obvious...)!"
          ------------------------------
          Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
          NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Working...
          X