Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I wish I would have been told when I started RC Planes

I wish someone had laid my RC options to me out like this before I made any purchases. I would have done things much differently had I known what I know now.

Take this advice for what it is worth and make the best choices for you. This is just my version of a simplified look at RC planes in 2013.

This is the plane that I suggest you start off with. It is only $89 for everything you need and it stays fun for a long time. The best part is that you don't need a big area to fly it in and it is very easy to transport: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900

Here is an example of me flying my Champ in the wind:

There are other trainers out there, but this is the least expensive and best way to learn IMHO due to its price and light weight. Less mass means less destructive damage. It does mean that it will get blown around in the wind more than a larger plane, but no planes should be flown in the wind by a beginner anyhow. I do suggest flying only over grass during your first few flights in a wide open area. The grass is far more forgiving than pavement is when you crash and if the area is wide open, there is no chance to crash into a tree if it gets away from you.

Here is the best aileron trainer to learn on IMHO. It is $99 and works with the controller that comes with the trainer plane. It also looks insanely cool in person during low passes. It looks very realistic in the air and is a lot faster than the trainer plane:

UM T-28:

Once you have mastered the aileron trainer, flying either one of the next two planes should be well within your grasp(you will need to upgrade your controller to handle the bigger one for sure due to the speed of the plane and limited range of the controller than comes with the trainer plane):

Parkzone F4F Wildcat:

UM Pole Cat:

***Note: The single most important thing to keep in mind is to never try to fly more plane than you are ready for. Crashing can be discouraging and expensive. You can also hurt people if you aren't careful.***

Once you have mastered those planes, you can fly just about anything like an EDF jet or a Mini Stryker:

I bought this jet as my second plane and it ended with a very smashed up jet and ego after I crashed on its very first flight! I was also lucky I didn't hurt anybody:

If you look closely, the front nose cone is all smashed to heck from its first flight lol

F-18 64mm EDF:

This is my newest plane and I love how fast and responsive it is:

UM Stryker:

I think this is enough information to get the conversation started in this thread. Feel free to ask any RC related questions you have. I love this hobby and am happy to help out you guys just starting out any way I can.

Also, for those with other approaches, please feel free to suggest them. I don't know if all and that this worked for me, but it may not be for everyone.

Happy flying!

I thought I would add a little extra to this thread. Here is another look at the Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro in wind:

Comment

Here is another nugget of fun. This is my UMX Stryker handling the wind like a boss!

Comment

This plane could actually do a decent job of training basic flight practice indoors and outdoors on calmer days:

Comment

Here is another look at the Hobbyzone Champ in a more wide open area to better show how it flies and to give another look at how it handles wind.

PS: The plane I posted above is the Mini Vapor. I can't edit that post to add that into it to give it better clarity.

GB

Comment

Really nice videos you got there, it's not just good advice for beginners, but also entertaining to watch. Keep up the good work!

Anyway, if one is really on a budget, he could do a scratch build foamie. Just get a big piece of foam, download plans for trainer planes and use the recommended electronics. It would makes crashes must less costly to repair. The most important thing is, they do fly well if constructed properly as per the instructions.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by perdification View Post
              Really nice videos you got there, it's not just good advice for beginners, but also entertaining to watch. Keep up the good work!

Anyway, if one is really on a budget, he could do a scratch build foamie. Just get a big piece of foam, download plans for trainer planes and use the recommended electronics. It would makes crashes must less costly to repair. The most important thing is, they do fly well if constructed properly as per the instructions.

Hope this helps.
              Your post helps a lot! I am sure a lot of folks will benefit from your suggestion. These days we are all trying to save some money and it makes perfect sense for beginners to do the same.

Thank you for that and for your kind words about my videos. I am glad they are fun to watch because they sure are fun to make!

Comment

Originally posted by GBLynden View Post
                Your post helps a lot! I am sure a lot of folks will benefit from your suggestion. These days we are all trying to save some money and it makes perfect sense for beginners to do the same.

Thank you for that and for your kind words about my videos. I am glad they are fun to watch because they sure are fun to make!
                Thanks for the compliments. Do keep the videos coming! I look forward to seeing more!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. Do keep the videos coming! I look forward to seeing more!
                  You bet! Here are a couple more:

F-18 EDF Jet: http://youtu.be/EseHS8bPaUA

My friend flying his huge flying wing that looks like a stealth bomber: http://youtu.be/jswgs0bUWpU

The weather hasn't been good enough to make any others recently. I hope that changes here pretty soon!

Thanks,
                  GB

Comment

You bet! Here are a couple more:

F-18 EDF Jet: http://youtu.be/EseHS8bPaUA

My friend flying his huge flying wing that looks like a stealth bomber: http://youtu.be/jswgs0bUWpU

The weather hasn't been good enough to make any others recently. I hope that changes here pretty soon!

Thanks,
                    GB
                    Nice videos! I really like the Blue Angel. Except that maybe those aren't really recommended for beginners.

Comment

Nice videos! I really like the Blue Angel. Except that maybe those aren't really recommended for beginners.
                      YES!!!

Note to beginners, DO NOT BUY AN EDF JET AND THINK YOU CAN FLY IT!

Also, don't be this guy: http://youtu.be/hx5Es0bnulM

Comment

YES!!!

Note to beginners, DO NOT BUY AN EDF JET AND THINK YOU CAN FLY IT!

Also, don't be this guy: http://youtu.be/hx5Es0bnulM
                        Gosh that video was hilarious. "100 miles per hour" Hahaha.

Comment

Gosh that video was hilarious. "100 miles per hour" Hahaha.
                          The sad part is that I was that guy when I started. I bought my jet and then realized I needed a slower plane, but wanted to get the P-51 mustang. Luckily the guy at the hobby store said the Champ was the way to go or my first flight with my jet would have been EVEN worse than it was.

Here is my latest video. I recorded it yesterday: http://youtu.be/7xL-m5OFtJU

Comment

The sad part is that I was that guy when I started. I bought my jet and then realized I needed a slower plane, but wanted to get the P-51 mustang. Luckily the guy at the hobby store said the Champ was the way to go or my first flight with my jet would have been EVEN worse than it was.

Here is my latest video. I recorded it yesterday: http://youtu.be/7xL-m5OFtJU
                            Yeah, actually, I made the exact same mistake too when I started out. Got a plane that was too fast for me to handle at that time, and ended up with a nasty crash. That was the first and last time I flew that plane.

I realised that what gave me false confidence was actually the Phoenix simulator software. I could practically fly every single plane on the simulator, be it EDF/Turbine Jet/Gas planes and land it without crashing. Then when I took my plane out for real, it was a totally different thing altogether. Everything happened so quick, my plane was practically kissing the ground in less than 5 seconds.

So no matter what, don't try to start off with an EDF/Turbine/Gas/Hotliner plane. You'll almost be 100% sure to kiss the ground in no time, even if you're really confident that you have nailed it on the simulator. It won't turn out the way you expect it to.

I guess we both learnt it the hard way, just so that the beginners reading this thread can take the easier way out.

Comment

Oh and I just saw your video. Excellent handling I'd say! And way too fast for a beginner definitely.

Comment

Working...
                              X