Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slope / F3F simulator

For those who wants to try out slope in the simulator can download and try http://crrcsim.berlios.de/wiki/index.php.

its Free , graphics is quite basic but give u a feel of slope flying.

There is also a F3F mode for the F3F guys can do some practice.
    what's next?

First impressions of CRRCSim

Thanks Mazon for sharing.

From my past posts, you can tell I'm a sucker for RC flight sims, especially when they're free!

I've installed the Windows version and tried it out cursorily. To those who are waiting for a sort of 'review', here's what I observe so far:

1) Installation. There are versions for Linux and MacOSx as well. Installation in WindowsXP is quite straightforward. Though there is mention of having to download "dlportio.dll" from a seperate website, you don't need it if you are not going to connect your Tx via the parallel port. I did not install it.

2) Graphics. As Mazon has said, graphics is fairly basic (if you are going to comapre it with sims like Reflex-XTR). The scenery is somewhat towards that of FMS, but I think the surface 'texture' is more detailed. It is a good OpenGL programming project. I especially like the rendering of the sky and clouds, which I understand is the product of a collaborator's own graphics algorithm. Very realistic skies indeed. In the default installation there are 3 sceneries included. Being a soarer sim, you can also toggle the display of thermals on-screen.

3) GUI. The Graphical User Interface is mainly via a menu bar at the top of the screen, which is usually invisible and appears when you hit the ESC key. The usual options to save settings, exit, select models, scenery, control methods, controls calibration, simullation controls, etc, are available via the menu-bar options. The only other visual ques are what I believe is a wind direction indicator on the lower right corner, and a sort of command-line screen on the lower left that appears momentarily when you press the ESC key. So most of the time, the flying screen is clear of distractions. Initially, the sim opens as a reduced window, but you can maximize it to full-screen, then save settings so that in future the sim defaults to full-screen.

4) Models. This being primarily a slope soarer sim project, most of the included models are gliders/slope soarers. For non-soarer people like me, there are at least 3 powered airplanes to choose from, and even a heli (looks like a Hughes 500 to me). For those ambitious enough to want to create your own models, the website does have notes on how to do that. I've been flying the included Gap65 aerobat mostly, and One feature I find that puts this a notch above FMS is that you can actually see the control surfaces move on the model! Not bad for a free program :>

5) Flight Control options. There are many! According to the notes and the options in the menu-bar, you supposedly could use a mouse, keyboard, USB joystick, the USB 'Tx' that comes with the E-sky FMS package and others, parallel port joysticks, audio port, etc (there are quite a number of choices) Wow, good job! Being an FMS flyer using a homemade cable connected to the Line-In port of my sound card and SmartPropoPlus driver, I tried this same cable and selected the "Audio" port control option. Immediately I'm connected and in control (no need for SmartPropoPlus driver). I just needed to calibrate the sim to my Tx in the menu-bar option. During Calibration, there are even preset defaults for popular brands of Tx, like futaba, Hitec, Custom, etc. Strangely though, while I'm using a Hitec Tx, I found I had revert to using 'Custom' settings as the Hitec option seemed to reverse my rudder (when selecting a brand of Tx, the channel-reverse checkboxes are disabled). This sim accepts up to 8 channels, numbered from 0 to 7.

6) Realism. I like the fact that on some models, the control surfaces move with control input. Being the product of some acedemically-inclined people, I understand that the models apply real 'aero-physics' (don't know what the proper terms is) in their behavior. Suffice it to say that the models seem to fly, well, like models, and they appear (to me at least) to be realistically affected by winds. They seems to skid, slide, slow down and wobble, etc depending on the direction you are flying. That's a notch above FMS.
    What some may not like is that the models can 'fly through' trees in the scenery. Also, when they crash, the models can really bounce around while the engine/motor continues to run. The engine sounds also seem quite odd, and change in pitch in coarse steps with throttle movement. But remember, this is primarily a soarer sim....

Overall, I feel that the developers have put in a very credible job, and produced a very flyable sim, nevermind the small oddities. Model flight seems realistic, the sKy and clouds appear photo-realistic, and what I really like is the ease and numerous options for connecting a Tx. All of this for, free....
    I think this is a viable alternative to FMS, and would have been perfect for beginners, if not for the fact that there are no trainer models included. Beginners may still be able to learn on one of the sports models though, no worries about crash-costs.

Aiyoh, as usual my post is quite long again and still hasn't covered everything. Anyway I hope this is informative to other readers and may help you decide if you want to give this sim a 'spin'. Thanks again Mazon.

Cheers!
    ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

thanks for the detailed review. yap although basic, the flying physics is very real, e.g getting the best lift along the edge of the slope, thermals , etc.

For f3f practice, goto "Game" option and select "F3F" to start. Best time i got so far was 45.91s ha. It even calculate the time lost in turns.

Start practicing, lets have a small race soon once the range of the timer is sorted out.
      what's next?

Comment

OMG Pang you just found the Holy Grail. If I beat you does that mean Soaring C will sponsor me a glider to go compete?
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Mazon ...I'm sure this will help me build up confidence towards the day I throw my first mouldy off the slope !
          Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post
            Thanks for sharing, Mazon ...I'm sure this will help me build up confidence towards the day I throw my first mouldy off the slope !
            We'll do the throwing, you just take care of the flying

Cheers,
            Adnan
            Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
            ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
            Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask View Post
              We'll do the throwing, you just take care of the flying

Cheers,
              Adnan
              Awww ....Manz ! ...Stressss !

Comment

Tony

The Typhoon flew yesterday. First RCRCM Typhoon on BR slope.
                When yours coming????

Standby for promotional video from soaringcomposite.

Comment

Originally posted by chiadennis View Post
                  Tony

The Typhoon flew yesterday. First RCRCM Typhoon on BR slope.
                  When yours coming????

Standby for promotional video from soaringcomposite.
                  Why do you think I disappeared from BR the past few days ?
                  Not too happy with HS125mg on the wing leh ! ...really wanted wingservos thinner than 9mm, am really taking my time on this build due to sanding FG/CF instead of Balsa wood.

Okay enough of the excuse, ...I'm just a little worried she'll be too fast for me ...maybe I should go and throw the Spirit Elite ARF off the slope first ! not so scary and I need to get used to the 'Full house' setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post
                    Why do you think I disappeared from BR the past few days ?
                    Not too happy with HS125mg on the wing leh ! ...really wanted wingservos thinner than 9mm, am really taking my time on this build due to sanding FG/CF instead of Balsa wood.

Okay enough of the excuse, ...I'm just a little worried she'll be too fast for me ...maybe I should go and throw the Spirit Elite ARF off the slope first ! not so scary and I need to get used to the 'Full house' setup.
                    Don't worry, that's the beauty of composite, fly it without ballast it float really well, go full ballast and it goes crazy. Ask Jeremy (Cycross).

Comment

How did I even get roped into this? What has ballast got to do with this also??

The Typhoon floats very well, for that thin airfoil. I think it pleasantly surprised everyone at the maiden and dispelled the myth that it's just a fast plane and thus cannot fly slow. Madflurry's maiden was without camber. I can imagine its speed reducing by 1/3 the maiden's by adding camber while still getting floatier.

Now I would anticipate people seriously considering it as a decently priced all-rounder entry to composites in the 2m class.

Tony, I think you will be fine, quickly build and fly. Full house is not as scary as you think. The multitude of possibilities with mixing is fun to discover. Dennis will gladly guide you.

Comment

Okay Okay ! I'm convinced ...too busy building to type anymore chatter !

Cheers !

Comment

Working...
                        X