Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query : Bedok sloping - when and with ?

- Is now ( today ) or next week a good time to try slopping in Bedok ?
    - morning or afternoon ?
    - Can try with prop on as safety ?
    - can I just take off my prop on my Taser and Erwin and test the sloping ?

Jonathan

ok I got the answer...nee to wait a couple more months from anther post.

"We slope at bedok reservoir from Dec-Apr , the best time period is Jan-Feb. During this period we also make numerous trips across the causeway to Sedili in Malaysialy at a sea side slope. During the off season, most of the guys fly powered gliders, Dlgs at various fields around the island. To get our slope kicks in between, we travel to Phuket in Thailand and fly off promthep cape normally ard July/August".....

Comment

Originally posted by JYHELI View Post
      - Is now ( today ) or next week a good time to try slopping in Bedok ?
      - morning or afternoon ?
      - Can try with prop on as safety ?
      - can I just take off my prop on my Taser and Erwin and test the sloping ?

Jonathan
      Hi Jon
      Slope seasons starts around Dec to Apr. most of us slope in the afternoon around 2 to maybe 6+. You will have some guys going there duing their lunch hour. Morning might be a bit hard to see as we facing NE and you have the sun in your face.

Prop is a no. This is an understanding from Npark with regard to other park user's safety. Yes, you can remove your prop but I would advice you remove motor too, mainly you don't want to damage your motor or even have it stuck on the trees.

I would suggest you get a cheaper glider or even a flying wing. Slope is very different from flying on flat ground. There are certain flying patterns that we fly. Master landing on the slope with cross wind is a must before going up to sedili or Phuket. These places are not very kind on landing.

Comment

Slope season being that short, are there any tips or homework beginner to prepare for it?

Any models with flaps/butterly to recommend?

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
        BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

I'll stress again what Dennis said about NO PROPS. Please do not be tempted to have props on for powered backup. You'll find the usually friendly Bedok flyers becoming less than welcoming if you do. But we're only trying to preserve our site. There's lots of places to fly with power but only ONE slope for pure sloping.

Anyway, I think many motorized gliders are set up with the rudder and elevator servos in the tail meaning you can't lighten your plane for the slope by taking out all that extra weight (aka flight pack and motor). Time to get a pure glider...

Sherchoo, you can use your DLG at Bedok too. If you devise a way to ballast her, then you can even fly in stronger or gusty conditions.

If you are ready for something bigger or more complex, go see what the guys are flying there and decide. If you want to build in advance, foamies - Easy Glider does well, composites -Dennis Chia what would you suggest?

Comment

JyHeli,
            When you're flying at ohr and the wind is consistently coming from behind over your left shoulder, that's when you can head to Bedok.

Comment

Originally posted by James Lee View Post

Sherchoo, you can use your DLG at Bedok too. If you devise a way to ballast her, then you can even fly in stronger or gusty conditions.

If you are ready for something bigger or more complex, go see what the guys are flying there and decide. If you want to build in advance, foamies - Easy Glider does well, composites -Dennis Chia what would you suggest?
              Honestly, I would like to leave the DLG at the field. I think it's to fragile especially with my flying skills. Many suggested to start with a wing. Problem with wing is that I am super bad with orientation and wing is not going to help my situation.

Was thinking also, if I decide to upgrade then, won't the season will be over by the time the kit arrives?

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
              BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

Jon,

use these weather links as guide.

http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/pp/wx.html - xx/yy , xx is direction, yy is wind speed in knots. you want the wind at paya lebar to be blowing anything from 00 to 050 , wind speed the more the merrier

http://www.weather.gov.sg/wip/c/port..._id=PUB.1023.8 - use this to see the general wind direction forecast, you want the wind to be coming from northeast with smooth straight lines.

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=312 - forecast for upto a few days. sometimes its good, sometimes its goondu.

Absolutely no props. Not even at the back like those pusher types, as stressed by many.

yes, you can take off the props from your Taser and Erwin and try sloping. Both will do well at BR.

Sherwin,

Some tips
                - Always fly in figure 8 pattern, turning out into the wind
                - dont fly too close to trees, they have a habit of sticking their branches out to grab your planes if too near.
                - more at this thread http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...s-%28rudder%29

Recommended models
                Foamies : Alula, Weasal pro, Bees, Easyglider pro.
                Balsa - spirit elite, any of those thermal gldiers will do well, speedo
                Composites - 1.5/2M ones like Typhoon, after that rest is yours to choose.
                www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
                www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

Thanks Dennis, James, Pang for your tips and guidance.

Will this be a good one for slop - http://www.pcm.at/english/index2.htm Taser unplugged 2m-glider ?
                  This is also because I already have the fuselage and Vtail ... only short of the wings...( due to order mistake recently ).

Pang, ordering from them soon to put in the wings ? In time for the season ?

Jonathan

Comment

LOL!

...Jyheli, I knew it would only be a matter of time before slope glider poison enters your bloodstream.

here's my welcoming contribution tips:

1) As the 'flying platform' is rather small(maybe 6 to 8 flyers) ...Shout "Landing" and "Launching" before you do it.

2) After shouting "launching" check to make sure you're not lanching your model right into the path of one that is already in the air.

3) When you're in the air and hear someone shouting "landing", try your best to stay further out and away from the slope(approach path) on the right.

The risk of mid-airs are very much higher when the lift dies down and everybody congregates around the diminished lift band just in front of the slope, I know of no other forms of RC flying which tests my SA like Sloping, maybe flying indoor RC in a small hangar full of airborne models comes close. I would advise to build up your sloping SA with a foamie (like the Easy Glider) before throwing up a composite.

Looking forward to sloping with you.
                    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

6 to 8 flyers is a bit busy by recent year's standards. The worst I recall is about 15 to 17 planes in the air. You couldn't count the planes, you counted the antennas of transmitters in pilot's hands! That was about when Zagi's first appeared and there was an explosion of new flyers. Noobs flying Zagi's couldn't empathize with the fuss of mid airs and subsequent crashes.

Nowadays hollow molded planes outnumber foamies, so Jon, you will be in good company! Still, many pilots will bring along a little foamie wing for slope combat when the big planes take a break.

Comment

I love the building excitement. I'm going to need to thin my herd a bit and possibly select a few replacements, but if all goes well I hope to see you guys at Bedok this season.

-Jonathan

Comment

Thanks all for your advice and tips....

Comment

Seeking advice for Zeta Wing Wing Z-84

Hi,

I am new to sloping and I read that it may be good to start with a flying wing.

I am thinking of getting the Zeta Wing Wing Z-84 (with servos but no motor and prop) to learn on the slope.

Can the experts here advise if this is suitable for sloping at Bedok? If not, which wing would be better to start with?

My experience is only on powered foamies. (I understand no props allowed in this flying site)

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Comment

I recommend the Easyglider Pro to start with sloping. it's a classic.
                              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Working...
                              X