Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help in DIYing a RC Kite :)

hi all, am interested in making a standard RC Kite. will need advises on:

1. what are the materials needed? (so far i can only can these** at Jethobby)
    a. 1mm CF Rod**
    b. 2mm CF Rod**
    c. 3mm CF Rod**
    d. 4mm CF Rod**
    e. Polyester Liner (where to buy and are there any other to replace?)
    f. Upholstery thread (where to buy and are there any other to replace?)
    g. Connector joints for CF Rods (different angles)

2. what are the electronics setup example motor size, KV, Battery size, ESC, Battery size etc...

Manage to get stuff from Jet hobby, and an online kite shop for the canvas... are there any standard dimension for the RC kite? cause looking at it, think i did it too big... haha hopefully my motor and props able to lift it up!

Comment

Take a look at this web site: http://just-rc.blogspot.sg/2012/01/rc-kite-v3.html

There is some measurements.
      After so many years, I am still a beginner

Comment

have manage to build my first RC kite. setup the necessary system check for example the wing type to the Delta and the correct aileron, elevator directions. have also check thru the CG of my kite. the motor, rotor, esc have good lift power... but when ever i let it airborne, it will flip to left side and heads down and crash. seems like the kite does not float in the air but just heads down... quite frustrated and i have been rebuilding the frame and testing the flight for about 4 times...

felt very F... up and demoralised....

any advise?

Comment

The kite would fly itself with proper trim. Usually the center of gravity is about 1/3 from the nose of the kite. You may need to have a little up elevator.
          Show some picture of your rc kite.

More info. Many tips here.
          http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262563
          Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Here's mine, RC Kite - Stripes.
            Still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by weslim78 View Post
              have manage to build my first RC kite. setup the necessary system check for example the wing type to the Delta and the correct aileron, elevator directions. have also check thru the CG of my kite. the motor, rotor, esc have good lift power... but when ever i let it airborne, it will flip to left side and heads down and crash. seems like the kite does not float in the air but just heads down... quite frustrated and i have been rebuilding the frame and testing the flight for about 4 times...

felt very F... up and demoralised....

any advise?
              flip left side and head down..

try this setting:
              left control surface, neutral and level
              right control surface, trim slightly up (to counter the torque roll) adjust until it launch and fly level.
              it is normal for a kite to fly with the left control level and with the right control level trim up..

this is what i was taught when i flew my kite during the early days

Comment

Originally posted by VinCopter View Post
                The kite would fly itself with proper trim. Usually the center of gravity is about 1/3 from the nose of the kite. You may need to have a little up elevator.
                Show some picture of your rc kite.

More info. Many tips here.
                http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262563
                hi, here's my crashed kite. pls advise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	972154Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	972155

wes

Comment

Looking at the pictures;
                  1. The elevator looks a bit small.
                  2. The kite looks like not structurally stable. That is when power is applied to the motor; the kite will twist to counter the torque. Which is why the kite turns the left and crash? The kite body need to be stiff enough to carry the motor torque, all other forces acting on it during flight.

Try this;
                  I?m guessing you have use the link in post 3 to build the kite? Looks closer at the ?Bottom View?. There are two extra CF rods which tie from the front rod to the centre rod bellow the battery plate. These two rods made the kite stiff.

Comment

This is the original design where the post 3 refers to. Link.
                    The second picture show the frame clearly.

Comment

Looking at the pictures;
                      1. The elevator looks a bit small.
                      2. The kite looks like not structurally stable. That is when power is applied to the motor; the kite will twist to counter the torque. Which is why the kite turns the left and crash? The kite body need to be stiff enough to carry the motor torque, all other forces acting on it during flight.

Try this;
                      I?m guessing you have use the link in post 3 to build the kite? Looks closer at the ?Bottom View?. There are two extra CF rods which tie from the front rod to the centre rod bellow the battery plate. These two rods made the kite stiff.
                      i see. so i will need to make the elevator bigger. but how big is enough? i saw those in the go fly kite model, their elevator seems small...

yup i used the post 3 to build my kite. have tried the first round with the 02 extra cf rods to the centre. crashed the first time. Built another without that 02 cf which is the current one in the picture.

Comment

i see. so i will need to make the elevator bigger. but how big is enough? i saw those in the go fly kite model, their elevator seems small....

yup i used the post 3 to build my kite. have tried the first round with the 02 extra cf rods to the centre. crashed the first time. Built another without that 02 cf which is the current one in the picture.
                        Another thing missing is the front bow; it will also contribute to the overall strength of the kite.

I would suggest building according to the original design ?Build Your Own Simple RC Kite .....the Simple design?. Every part contributes to the success of the design. This is already proven in the build thread.

Comment

Another thing missing is the front bow; it will also contribute to the overall strength of the kite.

I would suggest building according to the original design ?Build Your Own Simple RC Kite .....the Simple design?. Every part contributes to the success of the design. This is already proven in the build thread.
                          whats your long bow diameter? yup. now i'm reconstructing back to the original structure.

Comment

whats your long bow diameter? yup. now i'm reconstructing back to the original structure.
                            Don't have the length. Print the plan with dimension to full A4 paper. Use a thread to trace along the bow and scale up the length.

Comment

Weslim78, you have a PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X