Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC Scale Submarine?

Hi Folks,

I am new to boat modelling and was introduced to this forum by my friends.

Just wondering if anyone here does scale modelling of submarines? And if so, which subs do you have and where do you usually play?

Have a great day!

I got no scale subs. Only have toy subs which I run it in my fish tank and play with my fishes.

Comment

Hi roundorange,

Perhaps by now you can sense that there are not many RC submariners here, scale or not. I am a scale nut and also like subs. I do have a few kits but unfortunately, due to work pressure, I have not been able to do anything for the past 2 years. They are all unbuilt, including 2 which are long overdue in their delivery. When I can straighten out my work load (and find an answer to wife's favourite question "since when you have that?"), I plan to continue building and playing with what I already have (buy less, build more!) I intend to start by assembling the Thunder Tiger SB1, a non-scale sub which will serve as a training sub for me. From what I have read, getting an RC sub to be properly trimmed is not easy.

This will be followed by the Arkmodel (China kit) Song Class sub (Chinese navy) which is the first scale kit I bought. I also have a second Arkmodel scale sub kit, the German navy 212A, which is bigger and more complicated than the Song. I saw the completed 212A in Rotor Hobby about 1-2 years ago. My friend also built one not too long ago but ran into some trimming problems and I am not sure whether he has sorted that out.

As mentioned earlier, I had bought a beautiful 1/72 Kilo class from US about 2-3 years ago. The guy delayed my delivery and recently got into financial difficulties as he was a one-made operation. Fortunately, he is on the slow road to recovery and hopefully, I can receive my Kilo class plus a Seehund sub which was also bought from the same guy.

Finally, I also have the Revell 1/72 kits of the US Gato class and German VII C U boat. Although static plastic kits, they have been successfully converted to static diving RC subs by many in the US and around the world. This will require the scratch building of WTC (water tight container) or alternatively, commercial WTC kits are also available.

Well, if you are keen to go into RC sub, there are plenty of information on the internet. There is a thread on RC subs in RCgroups and many other sites dedicated to RC subs.

Run silent, run deep. Cheers.

Comment

have you seen this?
        make it simple, make it strong, make it work!

Comment

Originally posted by preferscale View Post
          Hi roundorange,

Perhaps by now you can sense that there are not many RC submariners here, scale or not. I am a scale nut and also like subs. I do have a few kits but unfortunately, due to work pressure, I have not been able to do anything for the past 2 years. They are all unbuilt, including 2 which are long overdue in their delivery. When I can straighten out my work load (and find an answer to wife's favourite question "since when you have that?"), I plan to continue building and playing with what I already have (buy less, build more!) I intend to start by assembling the Thunder Tiger SB1, a non-scale sub which will serve as a training sub for me. From what I have read, getting an RC sub to be properly trimmed is not easy.

This will be followed by the Arkmodel (China kit) Song Class sub (Chinese navy) which is the first scale kit I bought. I also have a second Arkmodel scale sub kit, the German navy 212A, which is bigger and more complicated than the Song. I saw the completed 212A in Rotor Hobby about 1-2 years ago. My friend also built one not too long ago but ran into some trimming problems and I am not sure whether he has sorted that out.

As mentioned earlier, I had bought a beautiful 1/72 Kilo class from US about 2-3 years ago. The guy delayed my delivery and recently got into financial difficulties as he was a one-made operation. Fortunately, he is on the slow road to recovery and hopefully, I can receive my Kilo class plus a Seehund sub which was also bought from the same guy.

Finally, I also have the Revell 1/72 kits of the US Gato class and German VII C U boat. Although static plastic kits, they have been successfully converted to static diving RC subs by many in the US and around the world. This will require the scratch building of WTC (water tight container) or alternatively, commercial WTC kits are also available.

Well, if you are keen to go into RC sub, there are plenty of information on the internet. There is a thread on RC subs in RCgroups and many other sites dedicated to RC subs.

Run silent, run deep. Cheers.
          Wow, that's alot of subs! How in the world are you going to ever build them...

But is there a good place in Singapore to play? Been looking around but seems like the trend is still towards boating and sailing.

Comment

Originally posted by redboat219 View Post
            Thanks seen it. But it seems quite "old" though and no new developments.

Comment

Yup, agree that is a lot of subs - enough to last me for many years if not a lifetime considering that I also have a large collection of scale boats/ships, planes and trains, majority are new in box. I have stopped buying in the last 1 year and will focus on building once I am able to find the time.

Regarding where to sail the subs, I have not thought about it yet since mine are not ready. But it must be somewhere that you can easily retrieve it should it fail to surface. Swimming pool is one possibility. Although you can see the sub when it is under water, it is also not very realistic as the real sea is not clear like the pool water. I had some experiences with a friend's dynamic diving uboat many years ago at West Coast Park pond and I must say the sight of its moving shadowy outline just 6 inches below the water surface is very nice.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by roundorange View Post
                seems quite "old" though and no new developments.

Maybe you could build one and post it here so we can see something "new".
                make it simple, make it strong, make it work!

Comment

Yup, agree that is a lot of subs - enough to last me for many years if not a lifetime considering that I also have a large collection of scale boats/ships, planes and trains, majority are new in box. I have stopped buying in the last 1 year and will focus on building once I am able to find the time.

Regarding where to sail the subs, I have not thought about it yet since mine are not ready. But it must be somewhere that you can easily retrieve it should it fail to surface. Swimming pool is one possibility. Although you can see the sub when it is under water, it is also not very realistic as the real sea is not clear like the pool water. I had some experiences with a friend's dynamic diving uboat many years ago at West Coast Park pond and I must say the sight of its moving shadowy outline just 6 inches below the water surface is very nice.

Regards.
                  "NIB"? Maybe you can open a store to sell instead.

Would it be possible to sail at the public swimming pools? We might probably be chased off by the life/security guards on duty! Or you are referring to the condo/private pools?

Will be pretty boring if it's just self play, unless we are like you with an entire fleet in action.

Comment

Originally posted by redboat219 View Post
                    Maybe you could build one and post it here so we can see something "new".
                    Sure, am keen to go into this hobby, but seems like there isn't much in the local scene. No other kakis to learn and share experiences with. Potential show stopper.

Comment

Hi roundorgange,

Yup, may really have to sell off some stuff, but those will be mainly ARTF planes as I enjoy building from plans or kits. I will build all the subs I presently have, just need to find the time.

I think running the subs in a public swimming pool is a no-no as getting permission will be tough. I was thinking previously of asking permission from Warren Country Club (I am a social member there) but since none of my subs is ready, I did not pursue the matter.

I agree with you that it is no fun if there is nobody around to share the hobby with. Although I have a "fleet", I still need fellow enthusiasts when it is time to play. I also do not foresee bring down more than 2 subs each time to the pool/pond when all are built. Perhaps you can meet up with my friend who already has his 212A built although I am not sure whether he has solved his trimming issues. I need to sms him again to find out.

In the meantime if you are keen to correspond further on this subject, we can do so through emails. PM me.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi roundorgange,

Yup, may really have to sell off some stuff, but those will be mainly ARTF planes as I enjoy building from plans or kits. I will build all the subs I presently have, just need to find the time.

I think running the subs in a public swimming pool is a no-no as getting permission will be tough. I was thinking previously of asking permission from Warren Country Club (I am a social member there) but since none of my subs is ready, I did not pursue the matter.

I agree with you that it is no fun if there is nobody around to share the hobby with. Although I have a "fleet", I still need fellow enthusiasts when it is time to play. I also do not foresee bring down more than 2 subs each time to the pool/pond when all are built. Perhaps you can meet up with my friend who already has his 212A built although I am not sure whether he has solved his trimming issues. I need to sms him again to find out.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi roundorgange,

In the meantime if you are keen to correspond further on this subject, we can do so through emails. PM me.

Cheers.
                          You've got PM!

Comment

Working...
                          X