Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My KKboard family of multirotors!

Heh heh, saying that I kena poison is an understatement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	myMultirotorFamily_sml.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	983168

My Latest addition, Carbon Fiber Tricopter, slightly modified version of RCexplorer's (David Windestal) design and also using his Glass Fiber frames. Successfully flown this morning in the living room, super stable.

Name:	CarbonTri_sml.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	983169

What additional stuff you have to purchase in order to program the KKBoard?

I see that you've used for both quad and tricopters, so some re-programming is needed?

How does the KKBoard compare to the MiniWii? I'm currently building one and just wondering which controller board to get. Naza is too ex, IMHO.
    ------------------------------
    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

wow so many copter. which setup is the easiest to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
        What additional stuff you have to purchase in order to program the KKBoard?

I see that you've used for both quad and tricopters, so some re-programming is needed?

How does the KKBoard compare to the MiniWii? I'm currently building one and just wondering which controller board to get. Naza is too ex, IMHO.
        I got everything from Hobby-King, including the USBASP avr programmer which is around USD$5. The software is freely downloaded from the web and available on the HK files links. It is the Lazyzero flash tool and it connects to the internet servers containing the latest firmwares. You need to run at least Windows XP and I flashed mine using my old EeePC. All the HK 2.1 KKboards come with the default Cross quad firmware, I re-flash it to the original and greatest firmware by KapteinKuk (original designer of the KKboard) version 4.7 that comes with X and + configuration. The firmware I'm using now is a Acrobatic or Acro version of the 4.7 firmware. For the Tricopters I use KapteinKuk's version 1.6 which is very reliable.

I haven't used the MiniWii, but that is on my upgrade path, the MiniWii comes in different configurations and it uses a more sensitive MEMs gyros versus the Peizo quartz gyros on the KKboards. The MiniWii can come with barometer, compass and GPS upgrades. Though some KKboards can also be upgraded.

The KKboard is very affordable but you need to do a lot of homework, reading up and watching setup videos on youtube and doing a lot of tweaks and adjustments. My early attempts were very frustrating, but once you learn it, you won't forget. My maiden of my latest Tricopter went without hitches and my 2nd Quad was very easy to fly. Just be patient and try to learn as much as you can, go join more experienced quad flyers and ask them to help, they will be more than happy to share their experience.

Comment

Originally posted by newmanhyde View Post
          wow so many copter. which setup is the easiest to fly.
          I would say that the Tricopter is the easiest, but a bit more effort to set up. Because you have to build the tail servo yawing mechanism. The smaller quad copter is my best flying one so far, I've adjusted it until it can do hands free hover. The quad when properly set up can be very easy to fly. You need to set the proper PID settings on the pots, set the comfortable amount of Expo on your transmitter and properly balance the props, then it will be rock solid to fly.

Comment

Sir, did you use fibreglass plates for the body of your tri?
            and if you did, how did you cut it?
            "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by wanna_be_pilot View Post
              Sir, did you use fibreglass plates for the body of your tri?
              and if you did, how did you cut it?
              Yes I did, but I didn't make them myself. I ordered it from the designer himself. It is a bit expensive but worth it. So far I have experienced one crash on my Carbon fiber Tricopter, luckily it wasn't very serious. The front left prop unscrewed itself as I have a clockwise propeller, now I use a bit of loctite on the reverse spinning props. The normal spinning props don't suffer from this problem as it tightened itself. Had to replace all the propellers and a couple of cable ties.

Here are some pictures of my carbon Tricopter and my new camera mount. Video of this morning's flight - New mount reduced a lot of the Jello effect, also discovered that 720/60 setting (R3) on the GoPro seems to be more resistant to rolling shutter as compared to 1080/30p. Footage is undistorted and deshaked.

Name:	CarbonTri_CamMount.jpg
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	971083Click image for larger version

Name:	CarbonTri_CamMountSide.jpg
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	971084Click image for larger version

Name:	CarbonTri_postflight.jpg
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	971085Click image for larger version

Name:	TriFolded.jpg
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	971086

Last edited by weeliano; 16-06-2012, 04:58 PM. Reason: Video Added

Comment

thanks for sharing your design.
                I have to cut out my own fibreglass body frame.
                BTW in one of your previous posts you built a gravity assisted hot wire cutter which you donated to NP aeromodelling club. However, i asked them if they have such a thing, and they said they don't. Can clarify who did you gove it to?
                "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Heh heh, I didn't give it to them, I only lent it to them. After I left Ngee Ann Poly, I took it back. They have a more sophisticated foam wire cutter now. A CNC version. You can ask Mr. Lee about it.

Comment

Have you tried with bicopter configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                      Have you tried with bicopter configuration?
                      No I haven't but others have. FliteTest did a Avatar inspired version.

Comment

Hi, just wondering, how long is your flight time with the kk board? I'm only getting about 4 mins of flight time just by hovering, using a 3 cell 2200mah 25c batt.

Comment

Originally posted by shoyn View Post
                          Hi, just wondering, how long is your flight time with the kk board? I'm only getting about 4 mins of flight time just by hovering, using a 3 cell 2200mah 25c batt.
                          Maximum flight time is around 12 minutes, with camera payload 10 minutes. I'm using the cheap HK 2200 Turnigy batteries 3s 25c. My all up weight is slightly under 1kg. The 2 orange props are 11x4.7 Gemfan and the black prop I use is a GWS 11x4.7 clone from HK. Check whether your battery are properly charged and balanced, also you may want to feel the motors after flying to see if they are hot. If they are very hot to touch, then you could have tightened the propellers too tight and introduce resistance to the motors. You may want to loosen your motor shaft by unscrewing the motor bell grub screw and then gently tap the shaft until it is free spinning, remember to loctite the grub screw after. If your motor feels like its not spinning freely, it could use up the battery faster.

I built my tricopter to specs according to rcexplorer.se design, only thing I changed are the ESCs which I bump up to the Plush 25A version and slightly modified the yaw mechanism.

Comment

Doak 16

I am thinking of making one of this
                            Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                              I am thinking of making one of this
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHLfedgcZr8
                              This is a pretty cool project, I guess you could get the KKboard to work on it with the right firmware.

Anyway here's video shot on my Carbon Tricopter at ACERC today with my new Sony Cybershot DSC-WX30. I'm very impressed with this little camera, though there's some rolling shutter, it can be fixed with a right anti vibration mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X