X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crashed mine...

Hi Weeliano,
    Very nice fleet!

Crashed it due to disorientation, it was quite near to me, but I suddenly could not distinguish the front arms, as in, the tricopter was facing my LEFT so I was looking at its LEFT side, and I could see that it was banked to one side, but I couldn't tell if the low-arm was the near-arm or the low-arm was the far-arm.

Things needed to rebuild:
    - new wood sticks
    - new props
    - check motors for damaged shaft & bearings
    - MOST DIFFICULT: I can't mount the yaw servo because the delrin piece is broken... How ah?

Comment

Originally posted by kaon View Post
      Hi Weeliano,
      Very nice fleet!

Crashed it due to disorientation, it was quite near to me, but I suddenly could not distinguish the front arms, as in, the tricopter was facing my LEFT so I was looking at its LEFT side, and I could see that it was banked to one side, but I couldn't tell if the low-arm was the near-arm or the low-arm was the far-arm.

- new wood sticks
      - new props
      - MOST DIFFICULT: I can't mount the yaw servo because the delrin piece is broken... How ah?
      Aw man! Sorry about your crash. It nearly happened to me a couple of times. You can get disoriented very easily if you are not careful. I'm afraid you'll have to order another kit or if possible, try to cut another replacement piece from glass fiber board, but you'll need at least a table fret saw for that. Or you can can build a brand new yaw mechanism based on rcexplorer.se design. I have modified mine and this is what it looks like below. It shouldn't be too difficult to build, I spent a few nights after work building it. Notice I use a steel shaft rather than a carbon fiber version, also I used one nose gear bracket to support the servo. Below the base I used thin strips of bass wood to level the support. I used heavy duty double sided tape to temporary secure the servo and motor mount before cable tying it. Fiber tape is used to prevent the servo horn and mechanism from slipping from vibration (which it had, but thanks to me always checking, it didn't happen )

Click image for larger version

Name:	TriYawMech1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	971090

Notice I use 2 nuts, a normal nut and a lock nut also a washer to distribute the force on the propeller. Also the propellers don't last forever, orange props are easy to inspect for stress cracks, black props are harder, when you see any sign of cracks or fatigue on the propellers, discard them and change to new ones. I use a powerful LED torch to shine through the prop for my inspection. Below the nose gear supports, I use strips of wood to make sure that the yaw mechanism is level.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	TriYawMech2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	971091

To prevent yourself getting disoriented, I suggest lots of practice on a simulator especially the Gaui Quad simulator on Phoenix RC. I practice virtual flying during week nights after work. Also if you are flying in bright sunlight, wear a pair of sunglasses and a cap. Try to keep the sun behind your back. Don't fly too far away if you are a beginning pilot and don't fly too aggressively. Crashes as much as you try to avoid them are inevitable. I have experienced 2 crashes so far each on one of my 2 tricopters. One is attributed to a badly secured DT750 motor base. Vibration and sudden torque caused the grub screw to loosen and the motor base spun out and disconnected. Always check the condition of your tricopter after each flight and before flying. Loctite all the grub screws. For clockwise spinning propellers, make sure you apply loctite to the nuts, anti-clockwise props will tighten itself, the reverse props will loosen over time. Use lock nuts if possible.

Last edited by weeliano; 18-06-2012, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weeliano View Post
        Maximum flight time is around 12 minutes, with camera payload 10 minutes. I'm using the cheap HK 2200 Turnigy batteries 3s 25c. My all up weight is slightly under 1kg. The 2 orange props are 11x4.7 Gemfan and the black prop I use is a GWS 11x4.7 clone from HK. Check whether your battery are properly charged and balanced, also you may want to feel the motors after flying to see if they are hot. If they are very hot to touch, then you could have tightened the propellers too tight and introduce resistance to the motors. You may want to loosen your motor shaft by unscrewing the motor bell grub screw and then gently tap the shaft until it is free spinning, remember to loctite the grub screw after. If your motor feels like its not spinning freely, it could use up the battery faster.

I built my tricopter to specs according to rcexplorer.se design, only thing I changed are the ESCs which I bump up to the Plush 25A version and slightly modified the yaw mechanism.

Sir did you use 25A ESC because of some problems you faced with the 18A?
        "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by wanna_be_pilot View Post
          Sir did you use 25A ESC because of some problems you faced with the 18A?
          No you can use 18A ESC perfectly fine, I ordered the 25A ESCs because HK is always out of stock for the 18As. Don't think they will affect the flight time that much. I also get similar flight times on my other Tricopter which uses the Turnigy Plush 18A ESCs.

Comment

Maximum flight time is around 12 minutes, with camera payload 10 minutes. I'm using the cheap HK 2200 Turnigy batteries 3s 25c. My all up weight is slightly under 1kg. The 2 orange props are 11x4.7 Gemfan and the black prop I use is a GWS 11x4.7 clone from HK. Check whether your battery are properly charged and balanced, also you may want to feel the motors after flying to see if they are hot. If they are very hot to touch, then you could have tightened the propellers too tight and introduce resistance to the motors. You may want to loosen your motor shaft by unscrewing the motor bell grub screw and then gently tap the shaft until it is free spinning, remember to loctite the grub screw after. If your motor feels like its not spinning freely, it could use up the battery faster.

I built my tricopter to specs according to rcexplorer.se design, only thing I changed are the ESCs which I bump up to the Plush 25A version and slightly modified the yaw mechanism.

After every flight, my escs and motors are quite hot to the touch. Batteries are fully charged and balanced. Using 20A hobbywing skywalker esc, BL 2215/20 emax motor and spinning 10X4.7 epp prop. Is it possible for you to elaborate more on motor spinning freely? My motor spins about 8+ revolutions when I spin it manually. Normally, what is the voltage of your battery pack after flying? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by shoyn View Post
              After every flight, my escs and motors are quite hot to the touch. Batteries are fully charged and balanced. Using 20A hobbywing skywalker esc, BL 2215/20 emax motor and spinning 10X4.7 epp prop. Is it possible for you to elaborate more on motor spinning freely? My motor spins about 8+ revolutions when I spin it manually. Normally, what is the voltage of your battery pack after flying? Thank you!
              Ah I see, if you are not using the DT750 motor, then this should not be an issue. I have not used the motor you described before, perhaps it is a power efficiency issue. You may want to try using other prop combination with less pitch. The RPMs on your motor is also much higher that could use up the power much faster. Try using a lower pitch propeller like a 10x3.8. Balancing your propellers will also help a bit.

My Motors ESCs and battery just feel warm after flying and I use a voltage alarm that sounds out when each cell of the 3S went below 3.6v.

Comment

Want to give away / sell this tricopter...

Due to lack of hobby time,
                I would like to give away the delrin frame kit (which has the L-shaped yaw-servo-holder plate broken as seen in photo).
                Any other parts you see here, just make an offer, if you want.
                Will post in the market place too...

Hi Weeliano,
                Very nice fleet!

- new wood sticks
                - new props

Comment

sold

sold to a friendly guy.
                  Sorry Weeliano for piggybacking your thread ah.
                  There was quite a lot of interest, but one bro was fastest to deal.
                  This was an impulse sale...
                  Due to lack of hobby time,
                  I would like to give away the delrin frame kit (which has the L-shaped yaw-servo-holder plate broken as seen in photo).
                  Any other parts you see here, just make an offer, if you want.
                  Will post in the market place too...

Comment

hmmm

Bro weeliano, I'm gonna need yr help on this tric this coming sunday. Hehehe

romihensem " Back In Business "

Flying is all that matters...
                    sigpic

Comment

sold to a friendly guy.
                      Sorry Weeliano for piggybacking your thread ah.
                      There was quite a lot of interest, but one bro was fastest to deal.
                      This was an impulse sale...
                      Hey no problem man, its perfectly fine. Glad the tricopter found a new owner. The FPVmanuals kit is the best and fastest way to get into Tricopters.

Comment

Originally posted by romihensem View Post
                        Bro weeliano, I'm gonna need yr help on this tric this coming sunday. Hehehe
                        Heh heh, sure, are you the one who bought the Tricopter from Kaon?

Comment

hmmm

Heh heh, sure, are you the one who bought the Tricopter from Kaon?
                          Yup you guess it right. I was not in my right frame of mine when i bought it. Yr poison has spread all over my brain so not choice i have to grab it. Hehehe

sigpic

Comment

hmmm

Bro kaon, i hope i have not let u down... Really appreciate all the links to the manuals and setup. Some stuff that i need/intend to change before next flight.

1. New props
                            2. New sticks for frame. Might even try a carbon square tube from jethobby.
                            3. Need to adjust all wiring nicely.

Need some learning on how to finetune the trike more. eg gain pots, expo, epa, etc

Hey weeliano, ready for yr assistance this sun. hehehe

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by romihensem View Post
                              Bro kaon, i hope i have not let u down... Really appreciate all the links to the manuals and setup. Some stuff that i need/intend to change before next flight.

1. New props
                              2. New sticks for frame. Might even try a carbon square tube from jethobby.
                              3. Need to adjust all wiring nicely.

Need some learning on how to finetune the trike more. eg gain pots, expo, epa, etc
                              Hey weeliano, ready for yr assistance this sun. hehehe
                              Congrats Romi!
                              I never expected that you could get it into flying condition so quickly.
                              Do post a photo of the yaw control!
                              Surprisingly the KK+ seems to cope OK with unmatched props.
                              Are the black front props the same ones from my crash set?

Comment

hmmm

Congrats Romi!
                                I never expected that you could get it into flying condition so quickly.
                                Do post a photo of the yaw control!
                                Surprisingly the KK+ seems to cope OK with unmatched props.
                                Are the black front props the same ones from my crash set?
                                Its just a simple servo mech. Cable tie, foam tape and some sticks. Yup the prop are from the original, thats y i will get a new prop before trimming it again...

Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X