This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sherchoo View Post
    I would like to bring up that the current ratings in the table is a good guide to decide connection but it's important that the soldering is done properly. poorly soldered connection will increase hotspot and failure is usually the result.
    I agree. A person without any prior soldering experience should seek help from someone that has experience, and should never attempt to solder the connector at the battery side without guidance. Even experienced people get their fingers burnt sometimes.
    Facebook - http://facebook.com/daddyhobby

Comment

some other deans are better!

well, just to add, i have bought the authentic deans at $5 dollars a pair 7 years ago and i have recently bought the 'copy' hk dean nylon version with grips for 10 pairs for around 4 plus SGD. sad to say the original ones are not as heat resistant as the hk nylon version while soldering.

just a slight touch from the solder iron on the original will cause it to melt and form a depression. the 'copy' hk one will resist melting and will only have some black marks without getting a depression after more than 5 seconds of intentional contact when i first tested them.

resistance of the metal plates are about the same using a fluke multimeter.

i have never had a problem with the hk nylon ones so it isn't a fair statement to say all 'fakes' are lousy. But be wary, friend ordered the deans from another source (without grips) and they are the super lousy ones which will melt very easily! 'fake'!

Originally posted by REVOJohn View Post
      yah well define slippery. actually i find them very slippers and difficult to solder also
      anyway if they are shiney plastic.........then not real. you'll also notice the fake ones melt and contacts move position when you try to solder them. very annoying
      "To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything."- Otto Lilienthal

"To fly a plane, a pilot must have cool brains and hot hands!"- Dennis John De Witt

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
      E-starter (GWS) - On "Fire", Trainer, -Sold
      SPITFIRE (GWS) - On "Fire", -Sold
      T-45 Goshhawk 64 mm EDF - Lift-off!
      UAV Scratch Build Ver1.1 - It flies! -Sold
      Mini Cessna scratch build - fun!
      F330 Quadcopter W/KK2 V1.5 - Finally Tuned!
      Charger- Turnigy AC6
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aeronautical View Post
        i have never had a problem with the hk nylon ones so it isn't a fair statement to say all 'fakes' are lousy. But be wary, friend ordered the deans from another source (without grips) and they are the super lousy ones which will melt very easily! 'fake'!
        Me too, I have never had any problem with the "fake" dean connectors. I never encounter any melt and contact move problem. May be my soldering skill is so good and fast that I complete the soldering job before the connector has a chance to melt and move its contacts? Hehe.. just kidding, pai sei, pai sei.
        In order to reduce the chances of the connector get melted and move its contacts, one should insert in a mating connector before the soldering, and removing the mating connector after the soldering is completed. That is if you are soldering a male connector, insert a female connector into the male one, and vice visa. In this way, even if the connector get melted a little, the contacts will not be moved as the opposite connector will hold them (the metal contacts) in place.
        Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

Hobbyking has the new XT90 and XT150 (6mm) connectors, which support up to 90A and up to 250A respectively. Maybe we could add that into the list? Hope they didn't fudge the amp ratings though.

Comment

Working...
          X